• Show
Clear All

• shifting

I really need help with shifting,

When
    How

pretty new to riding,

please help

when riding is 1st gear, i get ready to shift, i pull in the clutch, the bike sounds and feels like it will shut off. should i do it fast or what like a stick in a car?

I'm pretty new as well. When you get used to it, it will be fast. Going slow isn't really a problem until then (well not tooo slow).

that feeling of shutting off could just be it wanting to go down to idle speed, if you hold the clutch with nothing on the gass, and it stalls, then i think you have a mechanical problem.

I would recomend finding a friend with a dirtbike. The smaller the better, just to get the feel of shifting through the gears. If you make a mistake on the dirtbike, maybe some scratches on you and the bike, no biggy. If you lay down your new kat, thats not going to be cheap.

If you can't find anyone, i would recomend reading all the stickys of the riding tips section. Then spending a lot of time in a parking lot.

Comment

Practice is the best remedy. You will get smoother and smoother just keep at it.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
        Practice is the best remedy. You will get smoother and smoother just keep at it.
        That is the truth.. Just wait till you get to flying through them real fast, and go to upshift again, but too your dismay there are no more gears....

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

Im also in the same satuation as you. But what Ive learned is dont go by looking at your rpms, you have to listen to the motorcycle. and for that first gear thing pull the cluth in fast but then let it out slow while giving it more throttle.

Comment

The shifting motion should also be a quick snap. I preload the shifter a little bit with my foot, clutch, snap-shift, then clutch out with throttle. Its a little rough in lower gears until you get used to it....
            None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
            -Robert Morrison

"
            well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

have you gone through a MSF class? It will teach you the basics of shifting and get you some shifting practice on someone else's bike

Comment

Originally posted by 87vert
                have you gone through a MSF class? It will teach you the basics of shifting and get you some shifting practice on someone else's bike

To tell you the truth the msf course I took didnt really help me out on my shifting becase I never got out of second gear while taking the course. I got into third gear maybe only once cause the parking lot we were taking the class at was small.

Comment

i have been riding for a while and have ridden every thing from a cr125 to a fjr1300 (my fathers) an i cant stress enough that you practace a lot (and no passengers untill you feel smooth) now for the help you need to pull in the clutch twist the grip a small ammmount and slowly let off the clutch it is a lot smoother then just letting the clutch go. you will get it just practace when you keep youre head loose and it dosent snap you will know that you got it. let me know when you get it and ask if you have any more questions

Comment

Knowing how to drive a manual tranny on a car helps. But the concern I have is something else.

when starting at a stoplight or while cruising in neighborhoods where shifting is required (somewhat) oftenly, where do you guys rest your foot between shifts? What I do is shift, move my foot back over the pedal, and when it comes time to shift again, move it back under. Would it be bad practice to ride with the foot under the shifter anticipating the next shift?
                    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Comment

i rode moto cross for a few years an wasent to bad and being only 17 i still got a chance but i am going to hopefully try super bike next but what i learned in motocross and my super bike practace is stay on the ball of youre feet some may disagree an thats fine i am always open to learing something new just dont leave youre foot under the shifter IT COULD HIT THE GROUND AND BUST YOURE ANKLE i think that its all about feel if it feels good then go with it its probubly safer that way let me know what you think if you give it a try

Comment

Re: shifting

Originally posted by gratzfb
                        when riding is 1st gear, i get ready to shift, i pull in the clutch, the bike sounds and feels like it will shut off. should i do it fast or what like a stick in a car?
                        Like driving a manual car, when you pull the clutch your bike should never stall, if it does I think there may be something wrong with your bike or you didn't warm up your bike enough (I don't know).

If you are worry about stalling when you're going into gear, rev your throttle a little to bring up the rpm (for a fraction of a second) than let go of the throttle and than let go of your clutch. If your rpm is low when you let go of the clutch you might stall the engine.

And don't worry about swtiching to the higher gears they are a lot easier than the 1st, once you get from 1st to 2nd, 3rd/4th/5th are the same. Your bike is already in motion, it's a lot easier to stall when you are starting on your 1st gear.

my 2cent

Comment

Originally posted by Specter
                          Knowing how to drive a manual tranny on a car helps. But the concern I have is something else.

when starting at a stoplight or while cruising in neighborhoods where shifting is required (somewhat) oftenly, where do you guys rest your foot between shifts? What I do is shift, move my foot back over the pedal, and when it comes time to shift again, move it back under. Would it be bad practice to ride with the foot under the shifter anticipating the next shift?
                          i do two different things... when riding on city roads, and through neighborhoods, i usually keep the arch of my feet on the pegs, with my left foot under the shifter, and my right foot ready to hit the brake... then when i'm on the highway, and it's all sixth gear, i'll move my feet back to the balls, which makes cornering at high speeds a lil bit (just a lil) easier... its alot more comftorable (sp?) too when layin down on the tank

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                          "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Would it be bad practice to ride with the foot under the shifter anticipating the next shift?
                            i would think so

the only time my foot is under the shifter is for the second i shift .. then it's ball to the peg until the next shift
                            money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

Originally posted by stickygreen
                              Would it be bad practice to ride with the foot under the shifter anticipating the next shift?

the only time my foot is under the shifter is for the second i shift .. then it's ball to the peg until the next shift
                              money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

Working...
                              X