X

Why a Busa is not a good FIRST bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a Busa is not a good FIRST bike

Check out this link, this explaines it all.

Opinion on whether the 1st Generation Suzuki Hayabusa is suitable as a first bike ?

Also, lots of other good info on the Busa.

Good luck, and Ride Safe!!!!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

The sad thing is that someone had to create this page.

Dealers should be sensible enough to not sell bikes like that to people who can't ride. To solve this problem, make a simple law. They can't sell a bike if they don't allow it to be test ridden. That'd stop them putting people who have never ridden on a 'busa. Would anyone buy a car they hadn't test driven, or buy or rent a house they haven't seen? But some people buy bikes they've never ridden. Odd.

I would love to get a 'busa by the way, but only after a few years more riding. Even sitting on one would be too scary for now. But I have no problems drooling on them.
    fulcrum (aka David)
    Blue 2004 GSX750F
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
    If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

Great site imho...i hav stated myself that the only thing i did not like about the busa when i tried it is the fact i did not felt the speed i was going at...i like going fast so the Busa required me to go even faster to get my Adrenaline going so...not good for me..but it's not really a Bad thing about the Bike...it actualy say how stable it is at high speed...

Comment

IMO...I (like fulcrum) am suprised a site had to be created just to tell you a busa is a bad idea for a first bike...

People are crazy to think they can go right out after passing the test on a crapped out 250cc and jump on one wheeled rocket (well one wheel most of the time) and handle it like a champ...lol

I like everyone dreamed of getting a busa...until I heard it eats through chains and tires every 2500-3000 miles...is this true?

Comment

03Katanuck (I believe) said that a dealer in a town near us (where I got my bike actually) Wouldn't sell a Busa to a kid and his mom when they came in. And the mother started getting pissed at the dealer!!
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Only a SQUID would buy a busa as thier first bike!! Aussie's dont have to worry about this type of thing as they have a tiered licensing system down there.

Comment

Well im kinda glad we dont have tiered licensing...bc im not silly enough to go out a get a 'busa...but i guess everyone is different

Comment

its all about.."I gotta get the biggest baddest bike I can, so I can show it off to all my friends in town, and look like Im a beast...even though I have freekin clue how to handle this much power" ..these are the kinds of people that end up in the ER..

Comment

aka organ donors

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                    Aussie's dont have to worry about this type of thing as they have a tiered licensing system down there.
                    Sort of right, and sort of wrong actually.

Here in Queensland there are 2 ways to get your licence. The regular old get a learners permit, figure it out as best you can, sit a practical test (you needed to pass the theory test to get the learners permit) and then be limited to 250cc for a year.

Or the way I did it through Q-Ride. Get the learners permit, lessons with qualified instructors and then a 6 hour practical assessment of your competence. If you pass and you've been driving for more than 3 years then you get a full bike licence (hence my first bike is a 750).

I actually prefer the Q-Ride for a couple of reasons. The instructors explain all sorts of things that you wouldn't figure out from listening to a lot of other riders (most people who rode that I spoke to didn't know about counter-steering for example). The also instill a certain level of confidence in you, while still keeping you cautious. And you can learn on larger bikes. I learnt on a 250, then a 500 and then a V-Twin 650. I think going from a 250 to an open licence without supervised stepping up is a bit dangerous - mainly for the younger people. I can imagine quite easily that I'd have killed myself if I got my licence 15 years ago.

Down in New South Wales I believe there are now some (but only some) 600cc bikes that you are allowed to ride in the first year. They must meet certain power output levels and not be modified from what I understand (not positive on that though). I have no idea in the other states.
                    fulcrum (aka David)
                    Blue 2004 GSX750F
                    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
                    If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

Ever since my Kat did the "X-Men" thing and evolved into a black 'Busa in the driveway, I guess i'm the official KR "Busa Road Tester". But I'm sure I won't be the only one on the board 'cause membership at this place is growing so fast. If anyone is interested in the story or my first "Busa Discovery" I'll try and dig it up the posts from the bowels of KP.

For the record, this is my third bike. '78Kawi750, '99Kat600, now this. I have dreamt and wanted this bike for sooooooo long. After riding it I can truthfully say that it's everything that everyone says, and a whole lot more.

People like to throw around the word "respect" when they talk about the Hayabusa, and rightfully so. I'm not being a snob or anything but a 'Busa should never be anyone's "first bike". Beau is absolutely right....because of the stability and the way it's built, it's speed is so deceptive it's awesome and somewhat scary at the same time. 80 mph feels like 40 on a Kat. 110 is effortless. 130 is just a roll-on from the #2 lane to the carpool lane. Most bikes you feel the engine strain. On a 'Busa it feels as if there is no top end, anywhere. It's awe-inspiring and sobering at the same time.

You really need to know how to "ride" a bike before learning on this one.
                      The same can be said for a CBR, R1, R6, Ninja or any other literbike or sportbike, but since it's a Sports/Tourer, it's a particularly deceptive bike.

Am I the greatest rider since Rossi? Uh....no. But I am experienced. A newbie is a newbie because he/she is,....uh...NEW to riding. Just because some kid has finished Driver's Ed on Thursday doesn't mean you buy him a Porsche on Friday. I'm a firm believer in moving up when you're ready. The 'Busa will still be there a couple of years down the road. Take some time to ramp up the experience level. (And if you're wondering, the Hayabusa is only 25lbs heaver than a Kat750 or a Bandit1200. It's a much better progression than a Gix 600 or 1000, IMHO)

I also am a member of Hayabusa.org.
                      The following is a sticky on their Motorcycle Discussion Forum that is a manditory read, I believe, for all that join. It is so true and to the point.

You are new to this board.  You are new to motorcycling.  You are considering buying your first motorcycle or first sport bike.  You are thinking about getting yourself a Hayabusa.  You are wondering if the Hayabusa might be too much bike.  You are considering a Hayabusa for your first bike.  If some of those statements apply to you, then take a few minutes and read this post.

First off, welcome to Hayabusa.Org.  This is, in my opinion, the best Hayabusa dedicated web site out there.  We have a nice community of riders here who share an interest in the world’s fastest stock motorcycle.  Many of the folks here are the most helpful and knowledgeable Hayabusa enthusiasts you’re likely to find.  

This is a great place to learn about the Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa.  And it is a good idea to learn about this bike before buying it.  Just about every Busa topic imaginable has been discussed here.  The forums contain answers to a huge range of questions and are a very valuable resource to any prospective owner.  

One of the most common questions asked around here concerns whether or not someone should buy a Hayabusa.  This tends to come up a lot.  There is just something about the Hayabusa that draws people to it.  It is distinctive, relatively uncommon, interesting, and infamous because of its performance and top speed.  Often folks who have begun looking into bikes discover the Busa and fall for it.  If this sounds like you, then what can I say...  You’ve got good taste.

However, the Hayabusa isn’t a beginner’s bike.  I’m sorry.  It just isn’t.  That isn’t what many new riders want to hear, especially if the Hayabusa is what really fuels their desire to get a bike.  This leads to disappointment and maybe a little resentment.  I promise you, I’m not saying the bike is too good for you or any other elitist crap.  I want more Hayabusa owners and if you love the bike too, then you ought to get one at some point.

There are few bikes worse suited to beginning riders than the Hayabusa.  Learning to ride is a process that involves making mistakes.  Often those mistakes cause a loss of balance which can send the bike down onto its side, especially at low speeds like in the driveway or a parking lot.  As beautiful as all that Busa plastic is, it is also very easy to damage and very expensive to replace.  $600 for one of the side panels.  $400 for a nose.  A simple mistake and a slow drop could cost you $1000 or more to fix.

The legendary power of the Hayabusa is also very attractive and is also dangerous.  This bike will out accelerate any car the average person has even been near.  From a standing start the bike can break most highway speed limits in less than 5 seconds and that is just in first gear!  Second gear can take you to speeds higher than the top speeds of most cars and there are four more gears after that.

Learning how to control that power is vital.  Unintentionally spinning the rear tire can happen very easily.  And unlike a car if the back end gets a little loose on a bike, it can be very hard to regain control which leads to highside crashes.  (When the bike straightens suddenly as the rear tire grabs again, throwing the rider off and in front of the bike.)  It takes throttle control and an instinctive feel for the clutch to harness all that power safely.  A healthy dose of good judgment doesn’t hurt either.  And those are not skills that a new rider has automatically.  It takes practice.

That practice is best performed on a bike with a learning curve a little less steep than the Hayabusa.  Some will say that a 600cc super sport, like a Honda CBR600, is a good first bike.  I respectfully disagree.  Those bikes can still break 140 MPH easily and are also covered in lots of expensive plastic like the Hayabusa.  

A far better choice is the Suzuki SV650.  It has plenty of power to scoot down the road and will still out accelerate most cars out there at a stop light.  It has a wide power band, so proper gear selection isn’t critical -- a handy trait when you are learning to shift.  It is light and inexpensive.  You can really throw it around under you and correct steering mistakes with a minimum of fuss.  Plus those inevitable low speed drops will not ruin the bike.  With a couple of inexpensive frame sliders installed, the bike will probably survive most falls with no damage at all.  There are a ton of after market goodies available to customize it or squeeze a few more ponies out the motor.  And because they are so popular, it is easy to resell them.

There are other good choices too.  What is boils down to is getting an inexpensive bike with a minimum of plastics.  And please, please take the Basic Rider Course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, if you haven’t already.  Then ride as much as possible.  Have fun learning a new passion.  Then when you feel like you’ve got the confidence and skills, go Busa shopping.

Still not convinced?  Then consider the economic angle.  If you are under 25, the insurance on the Busa is going to be killer, more than twice the cost of a SV650.  Every drop, even in the garage will hurt, often to the tune of $600.  Tires are $140 or so.  The rear will need a replacement about every 5000 miles or less.  And the bike itself usually costs more than $10,000 new.  So let's say you get the Busa and finance it with monthly payments and a 10% down payment.  You ride a lot and play with that power some, somehow without getting hurt or crashing.  So two new rear tires in the first year.  Had to get full coverage insurance for the bank.  And there were two unfortunate drops, nothing serious but some fairings and bits had to be replaced.  That first year of ownership cost you $6000 plus gas.  More than the cost of a brand new Suzuki SV650.

Ultimately we buy what we choose to buy.  But the Busa will still be available six months or two years from now.  If you are careful about how you learn to ride and on what, you will be too.  And that Busa will be far more enjoyable and less intimidating if you practiced your basic riding skills on something better suited to it.  

In the meantime, keep coming here and posting and reading.  There are a lot of great folks here and good stories to tell and hear.  Not having a Hayabusa doesn’t disqualify you from being a friend or a fellow enthusiast.
                      sigpic

Comment

Excellent advice in the post there! So much information and reasoning in it that applies to all facets of riding, not just to 'Busa's!
                        If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Excellent read. I knew one person here, on one of the local rides. He'd got a busa as his first bike and within a month it was I think, he'd dropped it 3 times. He even dropped it on the ride we took that day. Sad to see a busa all scratched up.
                          - Sufyan.

Wearing helmets is NOT a civil rights issue - it is a safety issue, period!

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

That's one of the best, well thought out write-ups I have seen regarding
                            your choice of a first bike. Unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears most of
                            the time.

Comment

too many ppl buy the bus for the "fastest street bike" out there. but they have no clue how fast it really is. i've ridden my dads 04 busa and im glad i never even came close to buying one. you'll go from speed limit to 150 without really realizing until your passing traffic. excellent article, more ppl need to read it.
                              Save the homeless, take me home with you!

Comment

Working...
                              X