No announcement yet.
X

Wind Gusts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When your talking about adjusting the suspension witch one are you talking about(front forks,under the seat or at the front of the swing arm and if it is that one don't you or arn't you suposed to use a special tool for that one.
    Every dog has his day,
    And some lucky F**kers
    Even have two!

Comment

cross winds are always brutal. but I can stand on the pegs at 85 no hands and I'm fine.
      maybe you people are just too skinny (I'm 5'5" and 150 )
      Live and Lean.
      When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
      "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
      Romans 3:23

Comment

Originally posted by TheKlic
        maybe you people are just too skinny (I'm 5'5" and 150 )
        Nope , I'm about 6' and 145lbs , and the wind don't bother me TOO much . Just those odd times on the backroads on windy spring days when the wind tries to knock my tires out from under me mid-corner , not knock ME into the next lane . I know how to deal with that .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by TIGKAT
          When your talking about adjusting the suspension witch one are you talking about(front forks,under the seat or at the front of the swing arm and if it is that one don't you or arn't you suposed to use a special tool for that one.
          At the risk of sounding rude....

Have you read your owner's manual? Providing you didn't get your bike used, your tool kit under the seat should have the appropriate adjuster 'tool', and the owner's manual has all of the instructions. As I recall (I did the adjustments on mine within a week of purchase in 2000) you'll only need that tool and a screwdriver.

In case you do not have an owner's manual for your bike:
          Page 28 in my owner's manual (for my 2001 600 Kat) says:

FRONT SUSPENSION
          Damping Force Adjustment

The rebound damping force is four way adjustable and the damping adjuster is located on top of the front fork. To adjust the damping force, turn the adjuster clockwise to increase the damping force or turn the adjuster counterclockwise to decrease it. First, turn the adjuster clockwise fully until it stops. Then turn it counterclockwise slowly, you will notice the first click. Turn the adjuster about 1/4 turn to the second click. Your motorcycle is delivered from the factory with its adjuster set on the 3rd click. Always stop the adjuster at each click, when changing the damping force.

WARNING: Unequal suspension adjustment can cause poor handling and loss of stability.

Adjust the right and left front forks to the same settings.

REAR SUSPENSION
          Spring Adjustment

The rear suspension spring preload is adjustable. The adjustment can be performed by changing the ring position with the adjuster in the tool kit. Position 1 provides the softest spring pre-load and position 7 provides the stiffest. The spring pre-load is set on position 4 at the factory.

page 29:
          Damping Force Adjustment

Damping adjustment position is indicated by the numbers 1 through 4 engraved on the adjuster. As you turn the adjuster (1 in the diagram shown), you will notice a click as you reach a numbered position. When changing the damping force, always be sure that the adjuster stops in the proper position; a click should be heard, the adjuster should feel as if it were sitting in a dent or notch, and the position number should be visible. Position 1 (softest) provides for the smallest amount of damping force. Position 4 (stiffest) provides the greatest amount. The damping force is set on Position 2 at the factory.

NOTE: If the adjuster is located between the dent positions, the damper will provide the same damping force as number 4 (stiffest) position.

And in answer to your question of which one. Yes, yes and yes. I adjusted front and rear, because my bike was about an inch too high for me to get enough of my boots firmly planted at a full stop. At factory settings, I could only get one boot down firmly, and the other on the ball of the foot. I didn't feel secure, so I compensated. I noticed immediately that the bike felt less squirrelly as well (always a bonus when you're a green rider) and was a heck of a lot stiffer (which is the other thing I was going for).

Kat
          2001 Suzuki Katana 600. If you see a bright blue rocket with a blonde girl in raspberry & black gear go flying past on the way to San Marcos, Texas..... that's me!

Comment

Working...
          X