X

Ridning 2 Up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridning 2 Up

Guys, I have an 05 Kat 600, Do I need to adjust my suspension at all if I wanna ride 2up? If so, how do I do it. Also, does anyone have any tips for riding 2up? I have done it a few times, but I can't seem to shake that nervous feeling at all. When its just me on the bike, I am totally confident in my riding skills, but as soon as I have a passenger, I feel like its my first time ever on a bike. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
    'Tis better to be criticized by a wise man than to be praised by a fool'

First thing I will suggest is to tell your passenger to go with you. Lean with you whichever way you go. That takes some getting used to unless they have been a passenger before. As some passengers tend to lean against you and makes it harder on the rider to steer.

Next, make sure you have the bike up and off the kickstand (if you are sure footed) and you TELL them you are ready for them to mount up.

Oh... and my pet peeve... ask them to TRY not to bang the back of your helmet when shifting gears. I HATE that!!

Other than that... enjoy the ride... the more you ride 2 up... the more confident you will be.

Oh.. and adjusting your suspension. It depends on how much you and your passenger weighs. If your passenger is a skinny minnie.. you shouldn't need to adjust it. For the most part, you shouldn't have to do anything but ride. Maybe someone will answer with more definate answers for ya.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by James R. Davis
      Pre-ride Briefing
      By James R. Davis

Before I let a passenger onto my bike I host a briefing with them. I explain that so long as they are on my bike THEY are the boss - that if they want to slow down, or to stop, for any reason, we will do so. I explain that it is not my intention to scare them, ever, while they are on the bike, but to help them enjoy the experience. In exchange for this there is a price: They have four jobs while riding as passenger, and they must agree to get on and off the bike only with the permission of the driver.

I explain the 'passenger twist' where they connect their helmet cord while facing the bike, then do a full turn clockwise so that the cord wraps behind them before they get on the bike. That they get on and off only while I am on the bike, which is in neutral, and have both feet down and the side stand up (this, because if the side stand is down and they plump themselves on the saddle they will compress the shocks and that will lever the bike to the right - possibly all the way over onto its side!) I nod and tell them it is OK to get on the bike when I'm ready for them. I do the same when I'm ready for them to leave the bike. Finally, I ask that when they mount and dismount the bike they try to keep their weight centered on the bike - that they not pull the bike towards them but, rather, push themselves towards the bike.

I explain that while we are moving they can talk to me if they want, and that they may use the PTT button near their left hand to talk on the CB, but as to moving around, I'd prefer that they pretended to be a sack of potatoes (actually, I tell them they can move about, just not suddenly) - that they NOT try to help me through the turns - that they not lean in anticipation or when we are in a turn.

I tell them that I have never had an accident, but that no matter what happens while we are moving, they are to keep their feet on the passenger [pegs] and never, ever, try to touch the ground with their feet to try to hold up the motorcycle. I show them the saddlebag guard rails and point out that they are heavy steel, like 'roll bars', and will protect their legs only so long as their feet remain on those floorboards.

Oh, as to those 'jobs' they have:

-They are to wave at all motorcyclists approaching us in the opposite direction
      -They are to wave at all policemen who are on their feet
      -They are to wave at all children that show any interest whatever
      -They are to demonstrate to the world that they are enjoying themselves, particularly at all rest stops. Failing any of those jobs, I declare, will result in them having a new job when the ride is over - the spokes!

(There are no spokes on my Wing, of course.)

As to my own personal rules while riding with a passenger:

-The only thing I want to 'show off' is that riding a motorcycle can be safe and enjoyable

-I wish to challenge myself with the task of trying to shift gears without the passenger being aware of the activity (no head snaps in either direction.)

-I want to start and stop with the passenger never quite sure that we have started to move or that we have come to a full stop - i.e., smoothness all around.
      James is a Goldwing rider with over 500,000 accident free miles on motorcycles. Some of the above doesn't apply to the non-Wing population but most is good advice. He also says "your first passenger shouldn't be your lady or your child. It should be an experienced rider."

So far as your suspension goes:

Like Court said, depends on how much passenger you're carrying.

Comment

There's a bunch of threads in this forum that can help ya out Jay..but really what it comes down too is making sure and ur passenger are on the same page. As court mentioned some riders tend to want to lean the opposite way when going through corners, thats definatley a No No ! Also sometimes you get them wanting to lean in with you as much as you do..they need to be aware that they should just let the body go with the flow of the bike, dont purposefully lean one way or the next or they can throw off your balance and upset the bike. Unless you're doing some 2up serious railing just make sure they know to be relaxed and not lean into or out the curves too much...as I mentioned, just allowing themselves to "flow" with the bike.

Also make sure they have gear on, and whatever boots they have make sure their heels to rest on your exhaust. they shouldnt make any sudden movements but rather work out a system of signals they can give you if they need something.

Example, when I ride with crunchie if she sees something on the left side of the road she taps my left hip, same with the right..if she sees something in the road up ahead or somebody riding my tail she'll tap my side...etc.

I'd suggest going to an empty parking lot and practice getting on and off the bike and doing some slow riding so you both can get alittle used to one another on a bike. Just take it slow and easy.

Comment

Hey guys, thanx for the response. Matt, Thanx for the info, you're always a great help!!!

Comment

Very good advice...I didn't think of having to brace for the rider getting off the bike with the bike moving to one side as they get off...
            I love the smell of gas and asphalt in da mornin'

Comment

Steves rules for passengers
              1. That pipe is hot, remember and respect that the pipe is hot.
              2. I enjoy my nuts in their current configuration, please brace yourself on the tank in case of sudden stops.
              3. At all times either hold on to me, or the grab bar behind you.
              4. Do not lean or move around, stay straight with the bike.
              5. Do not attempt to put your feet down.
              6. That pipe *really* is hot, I'm not kidding you. It will burn your shoes if you aren't careful.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Rode 2up with my little sister for an hour this morning, never got above 40 mph, and I'm sure I looked awkward as hell making turns, but oh well, practice makes perfect.

Comment

If you're this guy, you may need to adjust a bit.

Comment

when I ride with my gf, I hardly notices that she's on the back. The suspension doesnt change much. She is great. I carried my brother and my cousin over the weekend, both weighing about 145-150. The suspension droppend when they went on. I had to struggle riding with them. It felt like I was riding 2 up for the first time. My brother was great after a time, but my cousin was always tense, so riding with her was no fun.
                    Roops Photography|facebook|
                    03 GSXR 1000
                    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

tire pressure at start of ride tp at stops especially with heavier passengers/luggage may need rear shock adjusted

Comment

Working...
                      X