Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

So do you still start out small..if you're big ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So do you still start out small..if you're big ?

So just a hypothetical question to stir up the masses...

How many times have you seen godzilla trying to ride alittle gs500 or maybe he's on a ninja 250. Either way, it can't be comfortable for them being so big and tall, riding a small bike..but you have to give them props for being smart and starting out small.....

But, if you're a bigger rider, starting out, maybe you go with a bigger sized bike to fit the rider? Im not talking busa or anything..but maybe you go with a VFR 800, or something similar?

I am not small, and I started out on my 750. I had no problems what-so-ever. A 250 or 500 would have been way to small for me. Even a 600 feels to small. 750 was just right, and now I am ready to move up. Here comes the big 1100!!!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I actually started with a Honda Nighthawk 750, I have ridden smaller bikes and they were sreaming for help. I am sticking with the 750 Kat but changing the engine for more power.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Last summer, and God only knows why this sticks in my head...Saw this guy riding an R6..I swear he had to be atleast 400 lbs. Im not sure how he bent over the tank !! More power to him for wanting to ride a sportbike, he seemed like he knew how to handle it from the little I saw of him on the street.. but hhhmmmm

Comment

All I hear you Matt, I knew a guy that weighed about the same, 4 big ones and he loves his Duc Monster.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

i dont think starting out on a VFR would be very smart no matter what height the rider was at.
            Hello World.

Comment

i started out on my 750 kat, tried the smaller bikes but it always feels like i'm crouched and perched, somthing not nice anyways. I'll be sticking with my 750 for awhile
              It Gets Worse ....

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                I actually started with a Honda Nighthawk 750, I have ridden smaller bikes and they were sreaming for help. I am sticking with the 750 Kat but changing the engine for more power.
                My first bike was an '85 Nighthawk 750. My though was why get something I am only going to trade in a year. Also, I'm not a really big woman (5-9, 170 lbs), but by no means on the tiny scale, so the 750 fit just right. Still does with my Kat too!
                Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

Well guys , I've been hearing for the longest time about how a 750 Kat is "a great starter bike" and such , but I just don't buy it . My Kat is my third bike , and the first time I rode it I was AMAZED at the power , and scared of it as well (yeah , I came off a "cruiser", but STILL) . This bike had been worked over before I got it , so that may have had something to do with it , but but even so , it can only have just a few more ponies than a stocker . I guess what I'm saying is this : I don't think these bikes are the best choice for beginners , even big ones . I DID ride a 600 a few weeks ago though , and I'd say that the power on those probably wouldn't totally freak out a beginner , if they could fit on it properly . As another suggested , and older CB750 might be a good choice (semi-sporty , decent power , bullet-proof, and easy to find, good fit for even the big-uns) . Maybe a Katana 750 with 3 sparkplugs until he's ready to put the fourth one back in ...
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I will always believe starting small is the best way to go no matter what size. A beginning rider needs less power, not more. When he/she gets more experienced then they can move up. 600's, literbikes, and bigger ones are not going anywhere. They'll still be there when you're ready. And as far as not wanting to outgrow a bike and having to spend big bucks for another one... I also don't think a brand new bike is the way to go for a newbie (unless it's naked). Nothing will discourage a new rider than having to spend $500-$1000 on rashed fairings a few months into riding.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                      I will always believe starting small is the best way to go no matter what size. A beginning rider needs less power, not more. When he/she gets more experienced then they can move up. 600's, literbikes, and bigger ones are not going anywhere. They'll still be there when you're ready. And as far as not wanting to outgrow a bike and having to spend big bucks for another one... I also don't think a brand new bike is the way to go for a newbie (unless it's naked). Nothing will discourage a new rider than having to spend $500-$1000 on rashed fairings a few months into riding.
                      funny ya should mention the fairing, i can say from experience it aint nice, but then i've only got a old bike so it wasnt that much
                      It Gets Worse ....

Comment

I currently have a 2004 Katana 750 and I have only been riding for 2 weeks after my MSF course. I believe its a good bike for me as I am over a big guy (over 250lbs) but additionally older (32). I understand throttle control and that is key for me. I don't have friends to impress and I'm not trying to pick up women with my bike - so I ride for me. I learned fast and I haven't laid the bike down and never plan to. I'll rather be a slow poke and play it safe than sorry then exceed my limits. Now if I was 18 - I probably would have killed myself by now (I used to street race when I was that age). I love this bike - the fit is perfect and the power is good. Also remember, the first 500 miles, you sift alot so you learn to take it easy and get the up/down shifting, braking, etc practice. I take the street to work - it will be a long time before I take the highway home in rush hour (I live in Dallas). Lastly, after riding my 250cc bike in the MSF course - I KNEW I need something much bigger.

My $0.02

Comment

i am in no way shape or form small in the least.. i started out on a 600 and feel it is just right for me.
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Ah yes, the old "I am 6'2" and weigh 235# so I need to start on a busa" argument.

There are plenty of big/small bikes out there. No one said you had to start on a EX500.

The aforementioned Nighthawk750, Bandit 600, Seca II, LTD454, a variety of Magna's, any older UJM that is under 750cc. Your pick of older Brit bikes - most are parallel twins, air cooled and underpowered...

My friend used to have a CB450 from the 70's - thing probably weighed 600 #'s and made all of 35hp. There's a full size bike that is not going to overwhelm anyone. (It was kinda fun and would get 'ton up' with a sub 175# rider, chin on gas tank, right hand holding WOT and left hand holding left fork leg...)
                            I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I would say that it just depends on the bike, torque, the rider that kinda thing. I started on dirtbikes and went to a 600 for my first streebike. I felt fine on it and continually love my decision to get a "sport tourer" for its comfort and reliability, and the friends I have made
                              Always keep your head up

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X