X

2002 Kat wieght and height

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Kat wieght and height

I got some pretty basic questions. I have a 600 Kat waiting on me at home (I'm deployed with the Army) it is a gift from my father. I guess he got a great deal on it etc...

I am a 5'6 female, weighing in at 115 lbs. I have a 31 inch inseam, I am concerned with the height and weight of the bike. I got the specs on it and it seems very heavy for a girl my size. I currently ride a 250 ninja, but wanted to up grade. Is the Kat going to be too heavy/tall to handle?
    I guess I am wondering the recommended height/inseam is for a 2002 Kat. Are there any females my size that ride a 600 kat? If so I would love to talk with you!

Your inseam sounds okay , but yes the Kat is a heavier bike. If your confidence and ability to ride motorcycles are good then the Kat should be fine.

And Welcome to KatRiders.
    Bike is sold

Comment

I won't lie...it is heavy....if you are proficient with lowspeed handleing of your Ninja...you can do fine.

Slim handles her big Harley, and she is about the same size as you.

Once you get moving, you will be fine...and we can tell you the steps required to lower if if you need to.

Congrats...stay safe...hurry back...Welcome to here

Comment

Re: 2002 Kat wieght and height

Originally posted by byhi
        I got some pretty basic questions. I have a 600 Kat waiting on me at home (I'm deployed with the Army) it is a gift from my father. I guess he got a great deal on it etc...

I am a 5'6 female, weighing in at 115 lbs. I have a 31 inch inseam, I am concerned with the height and weight of the bike. I got the specs on it and it seems very heavy for a girl my size. I currently ride a 250 ninja, but wanted to up grade. Is the Kat going to be too heavy/tall to handle?
        I guess I am wondering the recommended height/inseam is for a 2002 Kat. Are there any females my size that ride a 600 kat? If so I would love to talk with you!
        It will suit you just fine and you will love it! I also have a Kat 600 as a first bike, am 5ft 7, but a bit heavier! I bought the bike from a girl who was only 5ft 2 and she had learned to ride on it. Enjoy it and welcome home!

Comment

Welcome to KR, glad you found us. As Range said several have lowered theirs for different reasons, so if you need it the help is there.

I think it has more to do with strength than weight though.

...and your Dad is cool!
          AMA member # 224227

Comment

If you have some basic knowledge of riding, I really don't think the 600 would be much of a problem as weight goes. As for height, I think lowering it would be your best bet, and not very difficult to do. I think the only issue of the wieght would be if you dropped it, and had to lift it up off the ground. as for me, no problem lifting it off the ground.

And yeah, cool dad!

And also, if I may ask, wheres about are you delpoyed?
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

my sister rode my bike with me all summer when i wasnt riding it and she fit fine on it she was 5-2 and had short little legs ...so you should be fine ...anyone know how high my bike is at its highest???

Comment

Re: 2002 Kat wieght and height

Welcome to KR byhi!!

I am only 5'6" with an inseam of 32" myself and have no problems with my 600 Kat. Just for further comfort I have lowered mine a couple of inches. Like everyone else said.... it is a heavy bike, but as long as you keep it upright you will be fine with it.

Now for some business questions..... are you RA, ER, or NG? What is your MOS? How long you been in? How long until you come home? Just curious about a fellow sister-in-arms. There are a few of us in the service on this board. We even have one that I know of in the desert right now, and a few about to go.

To all my brothers and sisters deployed around the world...... keep you head down and your arse safe!! Come back home in one piece!

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied to me!!! For now I am going to get home and try her out, if I feel its a bit too tall/heavy etc... I will drop her a few inches. I keep hearing that I am just a worrier, so I hope I don't have to do anything to it.

i am currently deployed to Kuwait. Sporting the desert camo and everything. I have an MOS of 44C, its finance...I'm an accountant with a gun (watch out!) I hope to be home early Feb. But then again the Army tends to lie to me about that stuff! Oh and Greg, I am ER. What about yourself? I see you served proudly as a DS, now thats scary! I'm just joking my DS's were great!

Thanks again for all the replies!

Comment

Welcome to KR and feel free to ask anything that you can think of. You might want to really consider lowering the bike a little. You should be fine other wise.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

So if I choose to lower it, what is my best option?
                      I have heard of the links, and shaving the seat etc...

Also with the weight of the bike what possition is better for me as far as when stopped? Is it better to be flat footed, on tippy toes, one foot on the ground both on the groud etc...

Comment

Flat footed would be the best. To lower, you could get longer dog bones maybe? they may have to be custom made, I dunno If they make longer ones or not. Lower your front forks. Shave the seat, or maybe get a aftermarket seat made to help lower. Or wear those shoes with the 4 inch sole. That may help too
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

byhi-

I am still currently a DS at Ft. Jackson. I will be done 1 March, and will head out to Korea. I am Active Duty. Yeah, the soliders here think I am pretty scary sometimes too! I think it is just the hat. LOL!

Yes, lower the bike so you can flat foot. To lower the rear you would need longer "dogbones" for the rear shock. The front is easy and FREE! To lower the front you just loosen up the clamps, slide the triple trees down the fork tube a little, and then tighten them back up. If the rear doesn't go low enough for you, you can shave the foam in the seat to make it shorter and narrower to give you more room with your legs.

When you get home we can give you all the details you need to help you out. Stay safe!!

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Flat footed while stoped with both feet if at all possible. I am 6'3" and I lowered my pre98 Kat for confort and performance reasons and found that my Knees are bent now while being flat footed. I have a 33" inseam.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Court93Kat
                              Yeah, the soliders here think I am pretty scary sometimes too! I think it is just the hat.
                              It's gotta be the hat.
                              I'm scared and I'm out here in LA!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X