X

Need tips for taking ride test.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips for taking ride test.

I’m new to here and I have seen most of guys pass out some good advice so I thought I would ask about some good tips for passing my drive test with my DMV. I got a bike last week and been riding it around my area to get used to it. I haven’t ridden in a very long time and have totally missed it. My speed limit is very limited 15mph max, posted 10mph area. I really want to take the BRT(Basic Rider Training) but they are all booked up till late june so I decided it would take the ride test at the dmv and try to schedule a class in june/july. My wife has shown some interest in riding so we will try to take the course together. But I have to say I have been getting my self a little worked up about taking the test with DMV so hoping you guys/gals have some good advice about taking the test.

Thanks
    Dude

If you have the Motorcycle booklet from the DMV, Check out the back pages, there should be some examples of what you will be tested on during the ride portion of the test. I take this to an empty parking lot, (at a park, early in the morning I found is best.) and follow the instructions. This has helped me. I take my test for the DMV on 3 Jun. (Booked until then) In MD you can't ride with your permit unless you have a rider with you that has had their lisense for at least 3 years. They can be watching you from the curb, riding with you on your bike, on theri own bike, or following you in a car(yea, right) They do check when you pull up at the DMV if you didn't trailer the bike there. Good luck. Remember, the bike will go where you are looking. This is from a Beginner. The Pros will respond shortly.
    http://www.geocities.com/kissarmymc/
    bikerfriend.org You get cool stickers for your cage

Comment

Take a smaller lighter bike if possible and be as familiar with it as you can. I have a friend that is an examiner. He laughs at the guys that show up with huge, heavy bikes and cannot handle them at low speeds.

Practice is paramount. Other than that, just study the questions as though you want to know, not as though you want to pass a test. Relax and concentrate on the task at hand, not on the fact you are taking a riding test.

Good luck!

Comment

my test is scheduled on june 16 due to overbooking and i am started to get a little nervous as well. I think i read in penn-dot book that they make you do figure 8's and left and right circles and you have to do a pre ride inspection on the bike before the test. i haven't went and practiced any circles as of yet but i would like to

Comment

On the figure 8 witch is a right u-turn then a left u-turn in the Box, the trick is lookig ahead where u want the bike to go and using that clutch like it's part of your hand. You have to know when the power is going to the rear wheel. If you feel like your going to put your foot down let out on the clutch a little and get some (not much) speed to keep you upright. It's not like easy, but if you look through your turns, even exagerate the head turn to look at your exit point. Does that make sense. Probably not. i was able to do it in BRC.
          Find a Course Near You: All training providers manage their own schedules and enrollments. To reschedule a class contact your class provider. Earn a Motorcycle License What’s your motorcycle skill level?  New Motorcycle Rider Experienced Motorcycle Rider 3-Wheel Rider LICENSE QUALIFICATION COURSE Online Learning Basic eCourse Street Strategies Human Factors Basic RiderCourse ePackage1 Basic RiderCourse2 […]

There is an example in the second video down at about 3 min into it.

Comment

Good video endorsement for MSF!

Comment

The test is a pretty basic course and its not hard to pass it. Just practice your figure eights alot as that will help you in all phases. Practice braking and stopping, and THEN put your feet down..not before or the instructor could dock you points. Dont worry and get yourself all worked up or you'll be so nervous you'll forget how to turn the bike on ..Practice your pre bike inspection too.

Schedule to take the MSF beginners course as soon as you can, the training is essential.

Comment

msf

i just passed the msf course last week and its not as hard as some people make it out to be but it is worth the money i would recommend that all beginner riders get a learners permit ride for a lil while to get use to the controls and such then take the msf course.
                yes the hardest part is the figure8`s but if u shift your weight(get of the seat),turn your head,and use the clutch to adjust speed u can learn to do them with no problem in a short amount of time

Comment

Thanks guys

I have been working on the clutch thing and it does make alot of sense to me. There is no figure "8" i live in oregon and they make you do 4 test.

1. sharp left turn and a stop box
                  2. weave in and out 5 road cones and a right u-turn
                  3. Quick stop, 12-20mph start speed
                  4. Obstacle swerve same speed as above

Test is wednesday morning 60% chance of rain, But i have to say im getting more and more pumped and less wound up. Thanks for your support guys

Comment

wow, here in WI, they make you go out into the city for the 'road test,' with a head set to listen to the proctor who is driving behind you. but if thats all you're doing, you should be fine.

sign up for the MSF course with your wife, even if it is in june. you two will learn some important stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2
                      Take a smaller lighter bike if possible and be as familiar with it as you can. I have a friend that is an examiner. He laughs at the guys that show up with huge, heavy bikes and cannot handle them at low speeds.

Practice is paramount. Other than that, just study the questions as though you want to know, not as though you want to pass a test. Relax and concentrate on the task at hand, not on the fact you are taking a riding test.

Good luck!
                      i was at the dmv one time and saw some guy on a full dressed harley come in wanting a license. he was bragging to the dmv test person how hes been riding since he was a kid blah blah. he failed big time, couldnt do the tests. some kid on a lil 250rebel passed easy, could have rode circles around the HD.
                      03 katanika

Comment

WAHhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooo

I passed!

I was 5th in line at the dmv The first guy couldnt even do the first test. The second person was a lady and she wiped out. So by then i was a little freaked out. The ground was soaked but it wasent raining. The 3rd and 4th guy barley passed and then i got up there and just went for it. I sneaked bye a margin, but i passed. The road cones were very hard and slightly uphill, thats where i droped my points. I aced the rest.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

WAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhoooooo!

Dude

Comment

Congratulations! Good thing you just get your license and it doesn't say whether you passed by the skin of your teeth or not 8)

Yeah, although I took my test many years ago I still remember watching others before me take the test being more stressful than the test itself.

Now get out there and get some real world riding under your belt!
                          ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Congrats. I take mine on the 3rd of June.
                            Be safe.

Comment

i took the ERC about 2 weeks ago i thought it was fun and very useful
                              with every gain there must be a lost

Comment

Working...
                              X