X

Wife's Riding Posture Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife's Riding Posture Problem

This season has been my first with a motorcycle and her first riding on one also. She has this fear of just leaning forward and holding onto me around my waist. She prefers to lean slightly forward, and hold on to the bar on the back with one hand, and she has the other one on her leg.

It's not so bad for basic riding, but we went out last night for some ice cream , and the road is extremely winding and bendy, and she complained all the turns hurt her back.. and I tried to tell her it was her riding position..

I know this probably isn't the best/proper way to have her sit, but I cannot convince her to just hold onto me. She'd rather hold onto something attached to the bike. Anyone else have a problem like this, or have any suggestions?

The best riding position I have found for a passenger was to have them put there arms around you, but instead of holding onto you, they hold onto the tank. Ask her to try it out sometime. It's easier for her to brace herself during braking too. Your nootz wil thank you

Comment

There are also passenger grab bars on either side, which is attached to the frame just inside the fairing. Your hands are pretty comfortable pointing straight down and grabbing these bars which are just below the passenger's thighs.

In my early days as a passenger, I felt most comfortable grabbing onto these as your hands kinda lock your thighs down to the bike. Also makes leaning into a turn with the rider very easy. I'd recommend trying that.

p.s. This same bar is the saviour for all of us who want to put a 450lb. bike on the mainstand by ourselves.
      Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
        There are also passenger grab bars on either side, which is attached to the frame just inside the fairing. Your hands are pretty comfortable pointing straight down and grabbing these bars which are just below the passenger's thighs.

In my early days as a passenger, I felt most comfortable grabbing onto these as your hands kinda lock your thighs down to the bike. Also makes leaning into a turn with the rider very easy. I'd recommend trying that.

p.s. This same bar is the saviour for all of us who want to put a 450lb. bike on the mainstand by ourselves.
        Really? I never noticed those down there.. I'll have to look tonight.. That'll make her day!

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
          There are also passenger grab bars on either side, which is attached to the frame just inside the fairing. Your hands are pretty comfortable pointing straight down and grabbing these bars which are just below the passenger's thighs. .
          Those aren't passenger grabrails, those are luggage tiedown rails. Personally I wouldn't use them to hold onto since they are close to the rear wheel. If anything were to happen and the bike went down you could easily get your hands tangled in the wheel or chain. You shouldn't be putting your hands under the tail of the bike while the bike is in motion IMHO.

Force her to try leaning forward and holding the tank like Dan suggested. That's the PROPER riding postion for a passenger and is quite comfortable for both the passenger and driver.

Comment

Holding onto the tank.. Seems like thats a far stretch for a passenger.. I'm not phat by any means, 33" waist, but, that might work too... We'll try it tonight.

Comment

My wife rides with me for several thousand miles a year.
              At speed, she has found that she simply rests her Hands on my hips and leans ever so slightly forward. When in town She takes the opportunity to sit upright and stretch a bit possibly holding the grab bar to assist her.
              Now, my wife is only 5' 2" and about 130 ish (Easy there, she's 37) so this riding position works great for her. We also get off to stretch our legs every 45 minutes max.

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by h382
                Holding onto the tank.. Seems like thats a far stretch for a passenger.. I'm not phat by any means, 33" waist, but, that might work too... We'll try it tonight.
                Depends how tall your passenger is. My 10 year old son doesn't quite have the reach to get to the tank yet, but as BobKat said, hands on hips works well too. As long as she's not wrapping her arms around you and throwing you off balance.

Comment

Well the whole thing with her is, she likes to be holding onto something solid, such as the bike itself. Her hands on my hips doesn't feel sturdy enough I guess.

She is about 5'3", and 117lbs, so she may or may not be able to reach the tank. I just called her, and she said we can ride slowly around town with her holding onto me to see if she can get used to it. *crosses fingers*

Comment

Well the whole thing with her is, she likes to be holding onto something solid, such as the bike itself. Her hands on my hips doesn't feel sturdy enough I guess.

She is about 5'3", and 117lbs, so she may or may not be able to reach the tank. I just called her, and she said we can ride slowly around town with her holding onto me to see if she can get used to it. *crosses fingers*
                    Find an empty parking lot and try different positions. See what's comfortable for both of you. Her current use of one hand on the grabrail and one on her leg just can't be comfortable. It's gonna kill her back/shoulders/neck. Plus it can cause her to not be centred properly on the bike which can cause problems when you're turning and/or in the twisties.
                    I would sincerely suggest NOT using the luggage rails under the tail either.

A UNIFORM riding position for both the rider AND passenger is what makes for a smooth, safe ride.

Comment

Well the whole thing with her is, she likes to be holding onto something solid
                      I rode with a girl like that before. Was nice at first, but got to be a distraction after a while.

Comment

The position you are describing sounds as if she is very unaware of how much influence she has over the bike, even riding pillon. Go find a parking lot and practice some emergency stops with her on the back and she will quickly realize that her laid back position will hinder your ability to control the vehicle under heavy braking as she is heaved forward and crushes your boys agianst the tank, bangs her helmet agianst yours and possibly shifts her weight to one side. She needs to know that just because she isnt holding the bars or hitting the brakes or throttle she still plays an integral role in manuevering the bike safely, especially in emergency situations.

Last season my gf and I were out on a back road, come around a blind turn only to find a combine (big azz tractor with blades that went from one side of the road to the other) in a perfect position to decapatate both of us. She was leaned against me and immediatley braced herself on the tank while I was able to stand the bike up, brake extremly quickly and then lean hard right to avoid the blades....if she had been in the position your wife uses her wieght would have shifted forward violently and and probally to one side since she is only using one hand on the grab rail, she would either make contact with me or upset the chassis at a moment where everything needs to happen smoothly and quickly.

sorry for the novel

Comment

My GF had the same problem, so I told her to put her weight forward and put her hands on the tank (after she removed her rings). I stop every 45min foe her to rest. I find riding through town is harder on her than ride highway.

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                            My wife rides with me for several thousand miles a year.
                            At speed, she has found that she simply rests her Hands on my hips and leans ever so slightly forward. When in town She takes the opportunity to sit upright and stretch a bit possibly holding the grab bar to assist her.
                            Now, my wife is only 5' 2" and about 130 ish (Easy there, she's 37) so this riding position works great for her. We also get off to stretch our legs every 45 minutes max.

The best passenger I ever had sat in a similar position. She sat comfortably and slight ly forward with her hands on my waist. On accelerating and turning she just moved her hands further around my waist. ... I liked it too.

The best passegers are comfortable and relaxed.
                            Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

And remember, you dont want her holding onto your shoulders or anything that forces her hands to be up above a comfortable position. This can affect your riding position and ability to lean and control the bike and thus make for a very unsafe scenario out on the roads.

Best way is hands on the tank if you can manage it, if not hands on the hips or even on the upper thigh is ok too.

Check out thread for some great information on 2up Riding...

Comment

Working...
                              X