X

My son's '84 Gpz build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son's '84 Gpz build

I'm building an '84 Gpz750 with my 15yo that will be his when he's a Senior in H.S. The deal is he has to keep a 3.0 or better at all times and play a sport and quit pestering his younger brothers. He currently has a 3.4 gpa and plays water polo, so we've started work on it.

Here's what we started with, an '84 Gpz750 roller.

It was free and it came with a title... can't beat that. A friend made off with the stock Gpz suspension so I was left with just a frame. We shortened the tail to make a solo section out of it.. (so I won't have to worry about all the girls wanting rides.. LOL)

I picked up a set of '00 ZX7 forks and clamps for very cheap, and had a stem made to adapt the Gpz stem to the ZX7 clamps.

The rear suspension was a freebie, '99 GSXR 1000 swing arm, wheel, axle, caliper and brake arm. All I need is one wheel spacer, rotor and spacers for the SA to mate up to the wider Gpz frame.
    The shock that will be used is still unknown at this point, once a tire is on the rear wheel I can set the ride height and figure the length of the shock and start looking around. It just may end up a Tmod Franken-Shock

The engine is an '82 Gpz750... supposedly it has a holed piston but I'm in no hurry to make it run. So once the shock is sorted he will learn how to tear down an engine, bag parts and take notes on what he's doing.. The bottom end will go in the frame so we can figure the off set of the sprockets to sort that out. Good thing I produce custom sprockets eh?

Here is what we have so far...

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

What a great dad!!!
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

So cool...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Seen pics here an there in the cb. Glad to finally see you post a thread bout it Jim.
        Looking great.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I have a set of lightly used Diablo Rossos I'll sell you if it helps me finance a new set of tires
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Good for you. A Father and his Son......priceless........
              sigpic
              98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
              Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

More progress...

We got a 180/55 tire mounted on the rear and the rear end assembled. I initially thought I'd be having Tmod build me a franken shock but after getting the tire on and it sitting on its own, the stock upper shock mount is not out far enough, the spring hits the swing arm if I use the stock mount.

So I made a new bracket ad tacked it in place well enough to keep it in place, and no you cant see my crap-tastic welding till some one can finish the welding up properly..

Either way here are some new pics from today's work...

'90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

Looks like a great start

Comment

Great project. Good way to motivate and share time all in one. Perfect!

Comment

Lookin good. What's up with that rear tire? Nascar track backwards?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Ya.. the tire is kinda comical isn't it?.. I picked it off the tire pile at the local shop just to have some rubber on it.. the center is flat, as is the usual case.. and the right is worn just short of the cord.. I guess the guy could only do burn outs and donuts to the right...LOL
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

That thing looks awesome so far! Wish my Dad woulda done something like this with me. He was a racer at PIR, SIR, and a few other places. Didn't want me to hurt myself. No regrets, though. It all turned out fine in the end. Kids gonna have a nice looking bike by the time he graduates.

Comment

awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X