NorCal750 progress

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorCal750 progress

Hello All,
    Today I made some progress on my 94 750.
    I installed the R6 (08) rear shock using the stock spring it came with. Thank you to Tmod for the spacers, they fit perfectly. I had a difficult time with removing some of the mounting hardware as this bike has been outside at times in it's life. Certainly makes a simple project more time consuming.
    Overall, the shock slipped in with no issues at all, and thus far appears to be a direct plug and play. I did not have to modify my battery box, as this years R6 shock fits better.

I also spent some time putting on my new upper triple from a Pre600 as I also have installed Pro Tek clipons. The 750 upper triple looks bad without the riser piece, so I found a cheap Pre600 upper and polished it out.

While removing the stock triple, I had to drill out the lock hardware on the underside of the triple. I must have gotten some shavings into the main head bolt, and it decided it was going to bugger up the threads. Not very easy to find a 12mm 1.25 tap, but luckily I did. Cleaned up the threads and it went together as it should.

I did need to lower the front forks about 1" to allow the clipons to fit nicely onto the top of the forks. I went for the flush look on the forks as my guide, and it came out to be about an inch.

I think with the R6 shock out back, it probably lowered the rear 1.5 inches and with the drop in forks of an inch, the bike sits nice and low now.
    However, I will need to address the kickstand. As it sits now, the stock stand leans the bike just slightly and in my opinion not safely.

I read other posts about lowering the bike and the amount needed to remove from the stand, and it looks like 3/4" is about right.
    Does anyone have any thoughts and if I should go shorter?

I will eventually run some Race Tech springs up front to finish off the suspension, but I am looking forward to testing it out with these changes.

Here is a pic of the Pre600 upper Triple polished up a bit. It was too dark to snap a pic of the new lower stance, maybe tomorrow...
    Attached Files

With sunny skies today, I went out and tested the new suspension I installed yesterday.
    Although just a short ride, the bike felt nice and compliant. No handling issues thus far. I set the R6 rear shock to middle of the road on the adjustments so that I could gauge the handling from there.
    I found that I needed to tighten up the main head bolt tho, as I had a little play in it.
    The bike sits well, but I certainly need to address the kickstand.

Has anyone simply bent the stand instead of cutting and welding it?
    Is there any clearance issues with either method?

Here are some pics
    Attached Files

Comment

nice!
      Godspeed
      CSBA #1167
      Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Looking good. I installed a 08 R6 shock on my pre 750 using T-mods bushings and rebuilt the forks with Race tech springs also via T-mod. From my before and after measurements I lost about 3/4 of and Inch unloaded in the rear. I'm not having any problems with my kick stand, but I didn't lower the front.
        Richard
        96 Suzuki GSX750F
        89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
        05 Yamaha WR450F
        05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

After reading some more posts here, I think I figured out why my front end is loosing up after swapping to the 600 upper triple. I tightened everything up but it still has play in the head tube.

It appears the 600 uses a shorter main head tube bolt, so I am most likely bottoming out my stock 750 bolt attempting to tighten everything up.

Does anyone know the difference in length of the main head bolt from Pre600 to Pre750? My thought is to simply stack a few washers to raise the 750 bolt, I am just looking for a rough idea on how much I need to shim the bolt up.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X