Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New tire, so I had fun with the old one...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tire, so I had fun with the old one...

Well, my old tire started showing a cord, so I ordered a Metzeler Roadtec Z6 150/70ZR-17. I decided it would be a good time to learn how to do a burnout

Biggest thing I learned: don't sit!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cowOkHYP6YU"]YouTube - Burnout through all six gears on a GSX600F Katana[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K20WVgnFKI8"]YouTube - Burnout blowing out tire on GSX600F Katana[/ame]

That's my son in the background of the first video screaming about the smoke coming

In the second video, the tire blows after making it into third gear. A couple minutes after this, the tire was still at about 250 F.

Carb cleaner took the rubber off the license plate, plate light, and tail light:

Smoke inside the tire visible from the camera flash:

No flash:

Cords:

I later found cords wrapped around the front axle as well
    Last edited by paul.miner; 06-22-2009, 09:05 AM. Reason: Messed up embedding videos

That was actually pretty good and I'm normally not a fan of burnout vids and such. Good video and pics! I'm curious - why not sit?

BTW Good luck getting that driveway cleaned... :P
    Originally posted by katanawarrior
    I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty View Post

That was actually pretty good and I'm normally not a fan of burnout vids and such. Good video and pics! I'm curious - why not sit?

BTW Good luck getting that driveway cleaned... :P
      Well, at least don't sit when starting out. I have a couple videos where I can see the front wheel is locked and sliding forward as I'm trying to start the burnout. Even in the first video, I can see the bike hop forward with the front wheel locked because I didn't have enough weight on the front wheel. Once it was started, I could sit down without a problem though.

I think I'll just let the driveway be for the time being :P

Comment

I'd never clean the driveway!
        THE DOC
        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
        mistake when you make it again.
        sigpic

Comment

I loved the car honking at the end of the last video. You KNOW that was some dude that wanted to be doing the same thing.

Nice!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I will agree that was pretty kewl, but I'd be miffed if I drove by and got hot chunks of rubber thrown on my truck. Might want to watch that. Hope you had a spare tire ready to mount and didn't have to drive to a dealership
            Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
            Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by JACKAL View Post
              I will agree that was pretty kewl, but I'd be miffed if I drove by and got hot chunks of rubber thrown on my truck. Might want to watch that. Hope you had a spare tire ready to mount and didn't have to drive to a dealership
              Next time I'll face the other way; I was just worried about facing the street starting out.

I had the spare tire ready to go. After I blew the tire, I rolled the bike into the garage, pulled the rear wheel off, and took it in the next day to get the new tire mounted

Comment

Good fun!
                It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

i can't watch the videos but the pics were more than entertaining seeing what you did to your driveway lol

Comment

Next time wear boots........you ever see what steel belts do to a leg at 4000rpm.

Comment

looks like fun!
                      sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                      k9 GSX-R 600
                      GO VOLS!

Comment

My favorite parts were the kid screaming and the car honking at the end...nice work!

Comment

Ahhhhh Luv the Smell Of Burnt Rubber! My Tires find the same goopy fate! GOOD TIMES!
                          Joker
                          The newest addition to the Family!
                          sigpic
                          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I cant get mine to burn out lol

Comment

Well the driveway is sealed now
                              The cords do make a mess of things! Good fun!
                              The wifey saying "all my goodness" Awesome!
                              When she panned back I was expecting to see blue and red lights!
                              Keep doing that in different spots of the driveway and all will be good!
                              Thank you for the show!
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X