X

First step towards making a mutant

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First step towards making a mutant

Picked up my subframe today........next week ill have the tail fairing and seat so I can position it and have it fitted......oh boy I cant wait!

I decided to go with having 4 brackets welded and use the stock bolt holes in the subframe. I will run rubber washers between the steel and alluminum now that I know it will corrode haha.....thanks for the info on that duff!! Stay tuned for more pics later
    Uh Oh here we go....

Is that subframe for your bike, or is it off a different bike like a honda or something?
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

This mutant thing is getting outta control! Congrats, keep up the good work!

Comment

I'm a little concerned about the upper mounting point. The lower one might be strong enough but with the upper, you have to remember that the little bracket holding up the tank is meant to do only that.

It's thin sheetmetal and only held on with a pair of 10mm bolts. Also, the upper point is going to want to pull back when you apply weigh (sit on it). Unless you have something bracing it, it will eventually give way.

I'll try and post a couple photos mf my setup this weekend.

Comment

I am thinking about doing that tank bracket out of steel, like bend a piece in that shape and then mount the subframe to that and have it welded to the frame. I am removing the airbox so having the tank support welded to the frame wont get in the way of anything. I wasnt going to use the 10mm screws to hold the subframe to the bike LOL.....ill post pics when i get it done......i got a guy offerin me 1600 for the bike as is and i know where a 96 zx6r ninja is for 1500 and i might be able to get it for less........so depending on my meeting with the guy tomorrow ill know where im going with this project. Sucks I already bought the subframe and tail piece and seat though lol.........guess thats what ebay is for!

And as for the ? of what its from its a 01 R6 subframe
          Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

hey waltari did you get a chance to take pics? I think i am going to take my bike to a shop and have them custom fab something for me. I cant tell what you will be able to see with the new tail piece on until i get the fairing and my friend is slackin ass on sending it!! I should of had it by now. I cant move on until i know exactly what will show and what wont
            Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

I have off today from work so I'll try and shoot a couple photos and get something posted by this afternoon.

Comment

thanks man! My dad just bought a welder today so i might go get some pipe and take a crack at it if I can get an idea from yours. Hopefully I can figure this beast out........it looks like I might have to switch to a different rear end though because i think this one is going to leave ALOT of open area rigth where it meets the gas tank. What back end is on yours? I was thinking of a Ducati or something like that for mine but I need to research the pictures of them a littl better
                Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

I'm with SweetLou what subframe???
                  92 Katana 600 Project bike
                  Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Comment

The subframe he pictured is from a yamaha R6 and he's planning on cutting off the stock kat subframe and replacing the entire rear tailsection with an R6 unit.

He working on something very similar to my rc51 tail transplant.

Comment

something similiar but probably not as nice HAHA. Well I got stuff to stick together with the welder, i think if i practice on something thinner than 1/4inch steel bar i could do better but so far its not to bad. We were hitting the welds witha sledge and it was bending the metal before the welds broke so im kidna figuring out how to use it.
                      Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Working...
                      X