X

Rode The Gap Today (Pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode The Gap Today (Pics)

I rode the Gap today around 5:30PM today (5/11) and had a great time. I made 4 runs through it (2 round trips) and got better every time. The Kat does handle well through the turns, if you plan to go fast, please be extra careful and be sure to have plently of cornering experience. Another biggie about the Gap: WEAR YOUR EQUIPMENT!. I drove by four accident scenes today, 2 road blockages resulting... and one needed an ambulance. Also, I noticed sport touring tires do not fair well up here The weather held out as it only sprinked for short periods. Overall it was a great experience... there were so many bikers up here and many with their supersports going wayyy beyond me and my Kat's limits in the turns.

I also have to admit this was my first time up here (despite being only 40 miles away). They is by FAR the most aggressive/difficult stretch of road I have ever experienced.

I would have taken pictures of the great bikes I saw up there but there were TOO many!

I rode with my friend. He had a year or two more experience and an R6. Needless to say I fell a little bit behind, but the Kat sure did perform quite well and I caught up with him a few times I am very satisfied with my bike, but if I ever have the daring urge to take the gap in a far shorter time, I'd consider getting a GSXR/R6/CBR/Ninja

Those going to the Deal's Gap rally, you will have a BLAST!!! There are so many nice people you will meet and the run is AMAZING. I will see you all there.

There was a rally there today (EastTNRiders.com forum). This is the gas station/eatery/hotel area in NC.

This is killboy from killboy.com (and his girlfriend killgirl)

An old man's Elise (he sure did drive it fast when he took off)

There were bikes in all corners (50+ estimated)

My Kat and my friend's R6.

Ferrari Testarrosa - this car took off in a blast too.. sounded great!! (V12)

In the TN overlook with other bikers.

An Ambulance going to an accident scene (we drove by it and the rider looked in very bad shape.. the other riders there told us to move on)

I have many more pictures (original resolution of all pictures is 5mexapixels - 25xx xxxx something) for any of those interested.

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

You suck!
    (read that, nice pics....)

Comment

Looks like a great time!!! NIce pics too !

Damn I can't wait for the gap rally next month!!!

Comment

Nice pics

What do you mean about sport touring tires not holding up well?
        Kyle

Comment

Sweet pics man, looks like fun. Having mountains in the area must be nice
          --2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
          --'91 Katana 600/'04 Gixxer 600 Hybrid

Comment

Great pics!!!
            I was planing on heading up that way today, But it was raining here this morning.
            Now I wish I had gone.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

no fair fred, u cant go till we go next month!!

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                no fair fred, u cant go till we go next month!!
                I think that is what Mother Nature is telling me too!!!
                But maybe next weekend I can get a break!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                  I fell mine start slipping if I do hard twisties...they just aren't cut out for it and they're too damn hard of compound! (at least mine are)

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                    Nice pics

Thanks!

I have sport touring tires and they seem rough and minorly unstable on the very sharp turns. I'm not sure if it is the tires alone (may be suspension and even my lacking skill as well)

Mountains -are- fun

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Nice pic's

Comment

Another picture of the famous view at the beginning of the Gap.

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Congrats on getting there at last! I made 6 trips to the Gap area last year myself.

The Kat can easily keep up with the supersorts in that area. My friends can verify that. I do know also though that the pre 98's seem to handle better than the 98+ Kat's, but maybe it's just my suspension set up.

All I know is that I have left more than a few R-6's, R-1's, Gixxers, and CBR's riders scratching their heads in the tight twisties. More experience makes a world of difference!

BTW......... If you can make it during the week 1st thing in the morning, it is usually empty and desolate. Perfect for making bonzai runs!

I will be up there the middle of September and staying in Robbinsville if anyone wants to meet up for some riding! I will also be staying closer to Asheville at the end of Sept into Oct for some more riding. We have reserved Cloud 9 with a group of about 20 staying there for that weekend.
                          Ron
                          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

BTW......... I can tell you some excellent routes to ride!
                            Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Now you know what we've been talking about.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Working...
                              X