X

Ghost Rider

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
    Yeah you notice it talks like Ghostrider is all mighty and junk, running from cops and crap in Europe....but he wouldn't pull that crap in the states.....

They would have helicopters and spike strips for his butt....and finally Ghostrider would be unmasked lol

I don't know of a single department who will use spike strips on a motorcycle. The liability is far too great. We try to stop people, not kill them. That would be much easier...

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
    Depends on what state he decided to do it in.

Many states now have a "do not pursue" policy with motorcycles....liability from getting sued and everything else.

And, unless it was Southern California, most local law enforcement departments do not have the means to have a helicopter on call for pursuits. Violent suspects maybe...but not for a pursuit only.
    That isn't the case around here. The last chase I got in was with a stolen gixxer 1000. It lasted about 20 minutes before the guy wrecked out. Besides the stolen bike the operator had no mc endorsement, and a suspended class c license. But thats not why he ran. He said he didn't want to get caught with the ounce of meth he had in his right front pocket...

As for liability in chases, the 11th Circuit Court of appeals ruled in Scott V. Harris (2007) that a police officer is not liable for injures sustained to a fleeing suspect. In that case the officer pitted the vehicle to prevent injuries to innocent bystander. Harris wound up a paraplegic. Sucks for him. He shouldn't have ran, and the appeals court said so...
    Last edited by RbrtAWhyt; 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by RbrtAWhyt View Post
      I don't know of a single department who will use spike strips on a motorcycle. The liability is far too great. We try to stop people, not kill them. That would be much easier...

That isn't the case around here. The last chase I got in was with a stolen gixxer 1000. It lasted about 20 minutes before the guy wrecked out. Besides the stolen bike the operator had no mc endorsement, and a suspended class c license. But thats not why he ran. He said he didn't want to get caught with the ounce of meth he had in his right front pocket...

As for liability in chases, the 11th Circuit Court of appeals ruled in Scott V. Harris (2007) that a police officer is not liable for injures sustained to a fleeing suspect. In that case the officer pitted the vehicle to prevent injuries to innocent bystander. Harris wound up a paraplegic. Sucks for him. He shouldn't have ran, and the appeals court said so...
      You're right. But even the Appeals court ruling won't stop lawyers from trying to cash in.

It's not only the departments that have to spend $$$ to fight even the most idiotic lawsuit, it's the civil suits brought again the individuals involved.

And I didn't clarify, normally it's up to each city / county. And many times it's up to the Sgt or ranking officer to make those calls on pursuits.

The fact is most motorcycle pursuits fall into one of two categories:

- Motorcycle runs, and loses the officers.

- motorcycle runs and wrecks on it's own accord while being chased.

Personally, I think when you run, you get what you get.

Comment

Working...
      X