X

The ultimate diameter of an oil filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ultimate diameter of an oil filter

Some late night research to find out the ultimate diameter of an oil filter, so that it may be torqued properly by hand....

- Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

How does that let you torque it properly by hand ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Need more info Yellow.

Comment

That was part of a oil filter party (text and photos posted on a swedish bike forum)... They tried to find out (using a torque wrench) if it was possible to torque an oil filter by hand to the specs on newer bikes (up to 40 Nm).

To make a long story short, the strongest guys achieved results slightly above 30 Nm... and after more drinks they went on with other activities, such as finding out why the oil filter were constructed to the size they were... their conclusion was that the diameter of a beer can had something to do with it, in the line that a guy would be used to grab it or something in that direction.

Did I mention there were no women at the party?

full story (in swedish): http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76889
        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

So was it possible to torque the filter to proper specs by hand ? That's the way I do it ...
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

How did they get it to stay on that table...
            Glue?

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              So was it possible to torque the filter to proper specs by hand ? That's the way I do it ...
              Knock Knock anyone home?

To make a long story short, the strongest guys achieved results slightly above 30 Nm...
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                How did they get it to stay on that table...
                Glue?
                I know I could have rotated it... I was too lazy though, I just linked it straight.
                - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  What Z said... but actually most of them continued to do it by hand (by hand meaning no tools like oil filter sockets, strap wrenches etc.) - the way they've always done it

It kind of continued like a regular "oil thread" - to each their own.
                  - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                  X