X

A fun way to spend a Friday!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fun way to spend a Friday!!

This past Friday we had a "Motorcycle Safety Day" on post between the Army and Air Force. The services are really trying everything to keep Soldiers and Airmen safe out on their bikes. This was supposedly the first time ever for the Army and Air Force to do one of these together. We ended up having about 30 bikes out there. Mostly Harley's but nobody gave anyone a hard time about what they were riding. It was a day of learning from each other, talking safety, and how to check out and maintain your bike in a safe condition.

They had a couple of MSF Course instructors come out and set up the course for us to run through. Not as a test, but as a refresher of our skills for those of us that it's been a while since you went through the course. For me, it's been since 1993!! I had a couple of soldiers from my unit out there that didn't know the old man could ride. I ended up teaching them a few tricks, and I noticed they listen to me a little more after watching me ride.

After the classes and refresher riding, we all went on a group ride about an hour away and stopped at a dealership where they had drinks and snacks waiting for us. We broke up into two groups. The harleys all went together, and all the sportbikes went in a group. Since I was the highest rank of the sportbike riders, I took the lead of the group for the ride. All in all a great way to spend a workday!! It was a nice sunny day, I was in civilian clothes (although I was in my leathers), and I was on my bike. Add to that there were no accidents and it was just a good day of riding.

Here are some pictures that were taken while we were riding on the MSF Course taken by the post newspaper. Guess I'll be in the next edition!

In this picture I'm starting out on the offset weave.

Here I am deeper into it. The guy on the R1 waiting to go kept asking me how I made the cones look so easy. I told him to let me get on his bike and show him how easy they can be. He declined. The guy on the flag painted bike is one of my soldiers.

And here we are doing the "panic stop" drill.

Didn't get any pictures of it, but we also had to do the figure 8 and object avoidance drill. Again, the guy on the R1 asked me how I was doing the figure 8 so easily. Some people just get more bike than they can ride.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Re: A fun way to spend a Friday!!

Originally posted by Court93kat
    Some people just get more bike than they can ride.
    Indeed . "It's called practice , beeches" .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

nice pictures, beautiful scenery.

Too flat here in FL, but the beaches are nice...
      myspace
      2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Looks like a great time, Wish I could have a day at work like that..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Re: A fun way to spend a Friday!!

Again, the guy on the R1 asked me how I was doing the figure 8 so easily. Some people just get more bike than they can ride.
          You didn't win Katana of the Month just for having a pretty bike.

Long Live the D

Comment

Is that a CBR in the back? Wild paint!!

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
              Looks like a great time, Wish I could have a day at work like that..
              +1 to this. Nice Kat and nice Mil Spec Vest!
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Wow, nice day.. sweet.. !!
                I like the flag bike..

Comment

Originally posted by Mat0302
                  nice pictures, beautiful scenery.
                  Thanks, yes it is very beautiful up here. But I'm sure the view at those beaches are nice too.

Originally posted by ZuikiFred
                  Wish I could have a day at work like that...
                  Just join the Army and you can Fred.....

Originally posted by paradoxmd
                  You didn't win Katana of the Month just for having a pretty bike.
                  Hmm.... I thought the bike was what won..
                  Thanks man.

Originally posted by Black_peter
                  You really don't miss anything in those pics do you Peter? Yes, it's a 91 CBR 600 that belongs to one of my soldiers. It needs some work, like TIRES but I am helping him learn stuff like that.

Originally posted by KatanaSoldier
                  Nice Kat and nice Mil Spec Vest!
                  Thanks, don't you have one as well?

Originally posted by AzCyco
                  I like the flag bike..
                  For you and Black_peter I have posted a couple of pics of his bike. He just bought it about two weeks ago and it was painted like this when he bought it. I'm just helping him get tires, sprockets and chain (stretched to the max), and pick out safety gear without breaking his small bank account.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Looks like big fun, Greg!
                    sigpic

Comment

You really don't miss anything in those pics do you Peter? Yes, it's a 91 CBR 600 that belongs to one of my soldiers. It needs some work, like TIRES but I am helping him learn stuff like that.
                      Well actually I think that is a side effect of riding.. Not just looking at the target but all corners too.
                      A shot of him with his knee down would be a hell of a recruiting poster.

Comment

Hey right on, thanks for the pics.. !!

Comment

A shot of him with his knee down would be a hell of a recruiting poster.
                          I would agree with you on that, but he is a fairly new rider and is more worried about doing wheelies than dragging a knee. Plus, did you not see the tread on that front tire? Or should I say the LACK of tread?!?!?! I have told him to keep it slow until he gets new shoes on that bike!! His tires came in today and I will be assisting him with the install tomorrow.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Working...
                          X