No announcement yet.
X

OFFICIAL BLACK KATANA THREAD!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am in the process of painting mine flat black, adding some chrome and such, will post pics when it's completed, but loving checking these out.

Comment

• OK, here is mine. Black Kat is where it's AT!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by expvet; 01-08-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Just got mine painted black. The fairings arent on the bike yet, but see the sig to see photos of it
        Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

UMMMM...When black bikes grow up they wanna be red---
          Attached Files

Comment

• So... update... due to my removal of my tank (was completely full of gas when removed) in order to remove and clean and replace my carbs, petcock, and choke cable, I set the tank up on its side (as the petcock was leaking and needed the internals replaced), little did I realize that the gas slowly leaked out of the top of the tank and coated the side of my freshly painted tank. Needless to say after two weeks of waiting on all the parts to arrive and not noticing that the gas had leaked out onto the clearcoat... the clearcoat and new paint job were ruined.

SO... update to last night. I pulled the tank off yet again (this time no leaking petcock!) and I have begun to sand it down to remove all of the imperfections and bubbling the leaked gas caused. Now tomorrow night I'll begin to re-spray it! once it is good and black again I'll add my new "S" tank logo's back on and spray over it all with clearcoat. Only about 7 weeks go go until riding season starts again!

I'll post pictures here as I go with the repaint (again)
            Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

• I used epoxy based paint for that reason specifically. My whole bike is done in flat black epoxy paint. Gas will not eat it. I learned the hard way the first time and pretty much did the same thing lol

Comment

• Originally posted by outlaw View Post
                I used epoxy based paint for that reason specifically. My whole bike is done in flat black epoxy paint. Gas will not eat it. I learned the hard way the first time and pretty much did the same thing lol

Yea... well normally if I get gas or something on it I can just wipe it off without a problem. since it sat on there for so long it just had time to eat the clearcoat away.
                Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

• Update.... progress pictures: So last night I finished sanding down the tank, I removed all the old gas residue and all the old bubbled paint and clearcoat. Unfortunately I had to remove the brand new tank pad ($15) and tank "S" logos ($5). Luckily I have a replacement set of the "S" logos and I can order another tank pad.

First here is the tank removed from the bike, you can see the damage on it as the gas leaked all over the side and "S" logo and bubbled up all the clearcoat. (turning it a light milky color):

Here are two pictures of the tank as it sits after being prep sanded last night. You can really see where the gas ate through the paint, because as I sanded the portion where the gas ate the most came off the easiest with the sand paper:

More updates to come tonight after the tank is repainted with the black. Gotta let it dry and then the silver "S" logo can be re-applied and then clearcoat can be shot over it all.
                  Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

• ok guys.... here is my tank update from tonight's paint-a-thon:

1. tank was primered, and sanded smooth, then primered again, and again sanded smooth... this removed the last of the damage:

2. A first layer of paint was added:

3. Last layer of paint added:

4. First layer of clear coat added:

5. Last layer of clear coat.... all thats left is to leave it to dry overnight and then polish it up and add the decals back on! NO MORE DAMAGE!
                    Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

• Nice job...
                      2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                      Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                      "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                      Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                      Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                      "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

• thaks man. I just got the tank pad back on this morning..... looks better this time than it did the first time!
                        Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
                          Hey, What slipon is that in the pics?
                          Sry been away from Katriders for the winter..
                          Its an Ixil, I havent put it on my self, but it should fit fine.. Mine does
                          An it sound evil!! i tell ya, i had yoshimura trioval before, it was nice, but Ixil sounds way! better..

Comment

• It's been a minute since I've posted, guilty of just slacking off on the forums while the Kat is in storage...

Figured I would post my most updated pics for inspiration while eagerly awaiting riding season

vwvortex.com : jettajake00
                            midmoriders.com :jettajake00
                            Go Cardinals!

Comment

• some sweet bikes in here.

Comment

• The winter project

Well, it's been a long cold winter and things are starting to come back together.
                                Here's where we started:
                                right.jpg
                                The circles are road rashes from the p.o.The rest of the bike was pretty trashed too.
                                This is a pic of how I am doing my headers.The heat had melted parts of the plastics closest to the pipes. I don't know if the p.o. let the bike sit and overheat or what, but I'm not ruining my new paint job and plastic work:
                                100_1845.jpg
                                And finally the product.
                                $30 abs epoxy
                                $40 sem primer
                                $48 black paint
                                $100 clear coat
                                $100 fee to paint guy
                                $20 knock off led tail light integrated (D2moto)
                                $78 clear alternatives front turn signal lenses
                                A BLACK KAT
                                100_1846.jpg
                                PRICELESS
                                Sportech chrome windscreen ebay $58 shipped
                                100_1847.jpg
                                When the taxes come in she will be getting a yoshi rs3 carbon,a front tire and possibly chrome graphics.
                                UPDATE:
                                UGHHHH I noticed that the paint is "soft"....The guy that painted it WAXED it. So I go reading around the internet.....NEVER wax new paint for the first 30 days. The paint must "breathe" so the solvents can escape allowing it to harden. Washed it with loads of dish detergent to strip the wax off. Letting it sit till the taxes come in and a yoshi pipe can be bought.
                                Last edited by PAIN; 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM. Reason: missed a few..

Comment

Working...
                                X