X

Duplicolor Paint Job

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicolor Paint Job

Here are the results of my paint work this winter. I like it, although not as glossy as I had imagined. The other issue I'm running into is I don't know what kind of clear coat to use on the tank. The duplicolor clear I used doesn't stand up to gas at all so I already have some touch up work to do on the tank. Anybody know a gas-resistant clear coat?

None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

I don't know what will work but many sure will here. It looks nice though! Nice design you did.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

It looks like a super-hero bike. Maybe we should call this Super-Kat
      Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

If you are looking for a clearcoat to stand up to gasoline on the tank. I would suggest going to your local paint shop. Alot of the paint shop's now can mix you up a couple of rattle can's of auto clearcoat for pretty short money. My local paint shop does it for around 12.00 a can. That includes the cost of the can, labor to fill it, and, the cost of the clearcoat. Just a warning if the paint shop doesn't have any open clear to mix up. You will have to buy atleast a half pint. (Hence a little more money per can) Good Luck.
        As for you not having the shine that you wanted out of the can. Did you seal the primer before you painted it? If so, did you wipe the parts down with Prep-Sol, or, a equivalent before painting them? Just wondering what you did for prep work. Prep work it so vital to getting the results you want.
        I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

It doesn't matter what they say about you as long as they spell your name right.

Comment

Yeah, I prep'd as best I knew how.
          Process went as follows:

1) Wet sand old paint with 400 grit.
          2) Clean parts with soap and water
          3) Tack Cloth
          4) Duplicolor Prep Wipes for a wipe down of each part
          5) Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter
          6) Tack Cloth
          7) Prime
          8) Tack Cloth
          9) Paint
          10) Tack Cloth between coats
          11) Tack Cloth after last coat
          12) Clear Coat
          13) Rubbing compound (2 Days Later)
          14) Polish

I think its just the paint I got is not so glossy. I think I'm gonna try again next winter, only use a higher gloss paint. Might try a new paint scheme, might not.

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
          -Robert Morrison

"

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Sounds like you did everything right. I still have a some problems with Dupli-Color anyway. I painted a lower fairing (Gloss Black) for a friend of mine last year. He already bought all the paint so I figured I would just use what he bought. (Big Mistake) I did the identical prep on both of the lower fairings. The lower left fairing came out like glass. I could shave in it. The lower right fairing was another story. After 3 coats of paint, I could not even see my own reflection in the paint. I called Dupli-Color to complain. The person I spoke with took the lot number of the paint, and, said she would investigate. Well, that got me no where. I was told it was how I prepped the piece. Which I figured was their standard answer for my problem.
            I thought I would give it another try. I had a can of paint left. I sanded it down to the fiberglass, cleaned the fiberglass with Prep-Sol, primed, sealed, adhersion promoter, then paint. I painted 90% of the fairing with the last can of paint. Then painted the the upper corner with what I had left of the first can. After the paint dried 90% of the fairing was dull the upper corner like glass. The cans' of paint all bought at the same store had different lot numbers. The good can of paint had one lot number, the two dull cans of paint had another lot number. I called Dupli-Color again, and, told them of my findings. Once again, I was told, I must have prepped the upper corner different than the rest of the piece. (Yeah Right)
            Now I am pretty ticked off at Dupli-Color. I went to the local paint shop bought the cheapest gloss black paint available. Scuffed the piece with 400 grit, just so the paint would stick. Shot the piece with my gun, wouldn't you know it turn out like the other side. Cleared both pieces with the gun. Good to go.
            After this disaster I have some serious issues with their quality control. Was it just an ironic event that occured? Maybe it was. To tell you the truth I was actually pretty impressed with the paint on the left side. It looked like it was shot from a gun.
            When you decide to paint it again, just make sure you get the same the lot numbers of paint. It could save you hours of aggravation.
            I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

It doesn't matter what they say about you as long as they spell your name right.

Comment

Well, I think I'm going to try renting/buying a spray gun/air compressor next time, getting cans of primer/paint/clearcoat.

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

I just got done painting my rear seat cowl, lower fairing, chain guard, shovel, and wind sreen all with the duplicolor gloss black and it turned out just fine almost like glass. I guess I just got lucky and got a good batch of paint.
                We intimidate those who intimidate others.
                Stay Alert! Stay Alive!

Comment

Did you buy the paint from a store or a paint ship? If you still have the can of paint left over take it to NAPA or a place like that and ask for a couple cans of Clear Coat they should tell you straight up weather or not they can mix some up for you. Or go to the store you bought it from a pick up a same type of paint but in Clear Coat. But next time rent a gun, compressor and buy single stage paint, reduced and activator that way you can skip the whole clear coeat stage if you wish.

Comment

Re: Duplicolor Paint Job

Originally posted by philwecksr
                    93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

oh snap... lol

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

Looks good!
                        sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
                        A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

not bad rember clear shot from a gun is alot thicker the what you get outta a can.. i would do 5 or 6 coats and see if that helps it shine...

Comment

The best way to get that wet look shine out of clear coat is to start with a thick coating of clear( the more coats the merrier I haver used up to 11 coats before) then the only way I have found for that shine....high speed buff. I have never seen hand buff or low speed buff come anywhere close to a high speed buffing. Beware....if there are not enuff layers of clear coat you WILL burn the brand new paint job. High speed buffing with 3M™ PERFECT-IT™ 3000 Extra Cut Rubbing Compound PN 06060, I have made primer look like final coat!!

http://www.easttnriders.com

Comment

Nice job . I think i might give it a try .

Comment

Working...
                              X