X

Goodbye Mr. Shovel and Hello Mr. T.B. Exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Mr. Shovel and Hello Mr. T.B. Exhaust

Took a whole awfully long week, but finally chopped the shovel and installed the 2bros exhaust. I can't believe that all this while I actually thought the fender looked ok. What was I thinking

The fender chop was really simple. I used a dremel tool to chop the shovel a cm above the tail fairing. With a little bit of care, the tail fairings didn't have to come off at all. To mount the license plate and turn-signals, I left a 1 inch section of the original shovel protruding below the tail-light, and drilled 2 holes in it (or more like punched 2 holes in it using a screwdriver heated with a cigarette lighter coz I didn't have a drill). The license plate was mounted using its original bracket, and the turn signals went onto two L-shaped 80/20 aluminum pieces. The bracket and L-shaped pieces went into the 2 holes in the little plastic protrusion. I had to extend the turn-signals a little bit using washers, coz otherwise they were hitting the sides of the license plate bracket and didn't look very comfortable. The assembly seems fairly rigid, as long as the little plastic protrusion holds up well.

The kat in its cozy home...

Close-up of the chop, and turn-signal bracket

The 2 bros pipe is the high-mount pipe which attaches to the frame under the tail section instead of attaching to the OEM exhaust mount hole in the passenger peg. As luck would have it, my exhaust (from ebay) came without the 6 inch bracket that connects the canister clamp to the frame. I didn't even know that it needed something like that until Teddy told me about it (thanks Teddy). Anyway, so since I was NOT going to pay 2bros $20 for a 6 inch piece of steel. I decided to fabricate something on my own.

Aim : To remove tail section in order to make measurements for custom designed high-mount exhaust bracket.
    Methods : Remove seat, unscrew tail fairing screws, disconnect tail light, remove tail.
    Result : Removed seat, unscrewing tail fairing screws... kablam. One finger gash and a stripped screw

Since the tail was not going to come off anymore, I had to go in another direction and make a piece that mounted onto the luggage tie-down bar. That's the 2 bolt piece you can see in the close up. Took me about a week to make but in the end, it turned out pretty stable. The exhaust can is happy now. How's the sound ? I LOVE it so far. It has a deep rumble/growl at idle, which gradually becomes a smooth baritone at higher revs. Haven't had a chance to take her up to the high revs, but I'll post an update when I do.

The exhaust and the home-made high-mount bracket

All in all, a good week so far. Now to get some riding done finally. Goodbye Mr. Shovel and hello Mr. T.B.Exhaust
    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
    - Albert Einstein

That is one awesome looking exhaust .

What's it off of, it's not (originally) for the Kat is it?
    Kyle

Comment

looks good HC! Glad it all worked out for ya

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

looks great, nice work

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

looks great !
          sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Nice!
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
              That is one awesome looking exhaust . What's it off of, it's not (originally) for the Kat is it?
              Thanks, I love it too It is off of a Kat. This is the older version of the 2bros exhaust, which they made for the Kats before introducing the VALE. Don't think they sell it anymore. I got it off of ebay (killer deal). It actually looks much better in the pic than it really is. There are a few scuffs in places and a very noticeable dent on the underside. Luckily it isn't visible when the pipe is mounted.
              Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

kc, nice mods, are those frame sliders from the one member of katriders or a cumstom one? i'm thinking of fabbing my own and could use a lil advice

Comment

Those are from KR member Braunstein. It's an ingeniously simple design (kudos Braun), with a custom bracket that grasps onto the frame using long bolts. The sliders go onto the bracket.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Great looking can, nice job!!
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

i kinda assumed they were, just wanted to check, thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
                      X