X

New (to me) Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good man.
    Very clever the whole handlebar/gauge thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      Looking good man.
      Very clever the whole handlebar/gauge thing!!
      Thanks, man! Yeah, it's coming along. My little gauge cluster is the reason my clutch cable broke. The speedo sits right where the clutch cable wants to go, so there's a pretty severe angle where the cable cover meets the adjusting bolt. I guess it rubbed it down and broke some of the threads. I noticed it and put an even more severe of an angle in it to test it in a "worst case" situation. Sure enough, each time I actuated the clutch, I'd hear a snap and eventually it snapped at the bend.

The speedo is about as high as I can get it without putting too much of a bend where it connects to the wheel. I'm going to have to rig something for the cable to slide on where it comes out of the bolt.

Eventually I want to do something similar to yours - get a sheet of CF and cut out holes for the two clocks and maybe by then I can get by without the idiot lights. Mount the assembly to the inside of my handlebars.
      1994 Naked Katana 600
      Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Hey I didn't use CF..
        That is just some 3/16th plastic and CF decal.

Your clutch cable may not be right. I have a 90 degree metal sleeve that comes out from the nut. It makes placement of the speedo a pain but protects that section of the cable.
        You can see here:

That bend is a tube. Not the cable being bent.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Hey I didn't use CF..
          That is just some 3/16th plastic and CF decal.

Your clutch cable may not be right. I have a 90 degree metal sleeve that comes out from the nut. It makes placement of the speedo a pain but protects that section of the cable.
          You can see here:

That bend is a tube. Not the cable being bent.
          Well, the CF decal fooled me!

Yeah, my clutch cable didn't look like that. It came straight out from the lever body. You can kind of see it in the second picture of the latest batch I just posted. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the PO didn't use the right cable during a replacement.

The one in your picture might even be worse for me because the stiff bend may not be where I need it to be. I've ordered one from the interenets. I also might call the local metric dealers today to see if anybody has one.

Since I started riding, my Dad has been all nostalgic for his young days spent on motorcycles. It looks like the old boy is breaking down and buying a Volusia 800 today.
          1994 Naked Katana 600
          Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Working...
          X