X

My Streetfighter project, thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Streetfighter project, thoughts?

Alright, I have had the bike for about a month now. Long story short; someone droped it, sold it and I picked it up for $500. Havent riden it yet, still trying to find a gas leak, but it fires up. But I have made some progress with it so far. Got the rear cowl and acerbis headlight so far. This is quite a learning experience being as that it is my first bike. I plan on going with black paint and some blue accents(the "fins" on the lower rear fairing) i am in the process of cutting out a bracket to hold the speedo and tach, wasnt able to salvage the gas float of the original tank, so no gas gauge. I am also stringly considering some LSL "dirtbike" handlebars as well. I dont have any experience with welding or any real metal work. So I am not looking to any big changes.

This is about it for now. Any thoughts or maybe some ideas would be nice to.
    Attached Files

nm

Comment

Paint: blue like the windshield
      cut your front fender up some
      rear hugger
      Live and Lean.
      When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
      "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
      Romans 3:23

Comment

Yeah. Looking to get something to match the yamaha blue.
        Very interested in a rear hugger too.

Care to explain the cutting the fender? Make it shorter or some kinda design?

Comment

get rid of the DoD sticker too!!!! Cut the rear fairings to get rid of the "scoop" look
          sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
          MSF Rider Coach 27028
          MoPowerSports.com
          Torco
          SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Yeah, all stickers are going off when I got to work on the bodywork.
            Don't know what you mean by scoop look?

Comment

like this..
              note cut front fender.
              and trimmed rear to elimiate the scoop on the
              rear body work..

Comment

perfect. Ride it.

Comment

Looking good and awfully similar to my own. Keep us updated on progress.
                  http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

I am cutting up the fender, I am considering using some fiberglass to round it off (hard to explain). I have a pic in the link. As for the scoop in the fairing, I kinda like it, I plan on painting the lower portion blue. Finally got the gauges in, still need to figure out how I am going to get the speedo cable to reach.
                    Next big thing is to take the carbs apart and clean them, and to fix the left fork seal.
                    Also looking to do an underseat exhaust and a swingarm lisence plate holder. Think I have enough room?
                    Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.

Thanks for the compliments! Should have her on the road in a week or two.

Sean, your bike is sick. Love the handle bars. I think I am going to stick with stock for now, LSL's are to much$$

Black Peter, any trouble routing the speedo cable, or did you get a new one, yours looks long?

Comment

I agree LSL's are too much money. 2 extra holes in top triple tree, cheap risers, and a set of drag bars. The guy I bought the bike from gave me the risers and the bars cost me $30.

If you're doing the left fork seal, you may as well do both. Not a huge expense, and nice to know fork oil won't be leaking on your brakes or tires anytime soon.

rebuilding carbs is a great idea, and not too hard. I was lucky to have a shop nearby with an ultrasonic cleaner to get all the parts nice and shiny again.

Speedo cable? that's still on my list.

So you're modding your fender now, good man. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Try some more angled shots so we can see the side of it.

Comment

Originally posted by stangdude22
                        Black Peter, any trouble routing the speedo cable, or did you get a new one, yours looks long?
                        Nope.. Totally stock. It looks long because you can see it all I guess..

Comment

Undertail wont fit without modding the frame. the rearend sits to low...WAY to low
                          Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Found this guy that did it. Looks a little tight. I tried to email him, nor response yet.

Comment

just cause someone's done it doesn't mean it will work properly. Entirely possible it'd bottom out on a hard bump.

Comment

Working...
                              X