X

Dropped helmet - replace?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skasner
    Are helmet shells really so fragile that they would get these fractures / spider cracks from a mesley 3 foot drop? Perhaps this is more a concern w/ fiberglass shells than with other types?
    from what I've heard, yes.
    and you won't necessarily see the damage. the outside of the helmet may look ok but all inside at the spot that hit will be comprimised.
    the rest of the helmet will still provide good protection - but that one spot will not (moral of the story is - if you get in an accident, just make sure it's a different part of the helmet that hits )

They also noted that it is in manufactures financial and legal best interests to encourage people to replace their helmets more than may actually be necessary, for the sake of making money and covering their butts.
    why take a chance though ?
    how much is your head worth to you ?
    I would rather chance buying a new helmet when I might not have exactly needed it than say "ah, it's ok" and get into an accident and find out that oops, it really was damaged in that three foot fall.
    just my opinion.
    - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Newenough is clearing out Icon helmets for like $80 right now. My heads worth $80 to me!
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Broke helmet is better than no helmet?
        sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

Little bit .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

if you decide to trash it, Ill pay shipping to me and Id like to take it apart, or Ill use it idk. I dont have a motorcycle yet, but in a month or two.
            98' Eclipse GS-T
            5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by steves
              Newenough is clearing out Icon helmets for like $80 right now. My heads worth $80 to me!
              Yep and Dennis Kirk outlet has the Mainframe ones for $100.00 or look throught he closeouts...any where you buy is probably going to be cheaper than you think...good luck...
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I'm preparing this spring to replace my HJC CL-12 M95 helmet, used for automobile events since I bought it new in spring 2000, with a new M2005 helmet. Mine has never (to my knowledge) been dropped but it's been scuffed around enough and soaked up enough sweat that I'm happy to replace it. That way I won't need to worry whether it's still up to spec.

I'm looking at the HJC CL-SP line, either the Osiris MC-3 or the solid yellow. The prices at New Enough are entirely reasonable - no $800 lids for me. I'm comfortable buying online because I'm already familiar with how HJC helmets fit, so there's no need to go try it on in a local shop.

Comment

is a good idea to x ray the helmet
                  power is nothing w/o control

Comment

you can have it xrayed if you send it back but there probbly just tell you to trash it

i have the cl-14 i think i love it i also see hjc has a new carbon fiber one it looks sweet

Comment

No offense taken, like I said before it was just my semi-educated opinion. Are helmet shells really so fragile that they would get these fractures / spider cracks from a mesley 3 foot drop? Perhaps this is more a concern w/ fiberglass shells than with other types?
                      I looked into this some years ago. The concern is the structural integrity of the protective foam.

The foam inside the helmet has a crystalline/honeycomb like structure that will absorb the impact, and spread it around ONCE. And only once. After that, the structure is altered, and you effectively have a hard piece of plastic covering your head.

I don't know where the article I read is anymore - I'll have a look and see.

Re: Shokspotr - nice idea, but that this is UGLY. Do you really want that thing on your helmet with that warning label on it? Couldn't they have made it a little more discrete?

Comment

Reason I stopped by this thread is that I would like to get my helmet checked.

I left my bike (and helmet...) at a friends for a couple of days. When I went to pick it up, their 3yr old was walking around with it on.

I'm concerned about what happened to it - I'd like to get it tested. Anyone have any details on how to do this? I checked the manufacturer's website, and found nothing.

BTW it's a Bell

Comment

Ahh your helmets are fine. Thats what they are made for.

Comment

Junk it.......helmets are easy to replace, brains aren't.

Comment

Working...
                            X