X

Radios?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radios?

Anyone got any experiences to share with using a radio on the bike? I have 2 Motorola FRS/GMRS radios and I'm thinking of trying them out on the bike using one of these.
    A simple name that pairs the prefix 'moto', short for motor, with 'guide', to provide direction on wheels. Possible uses: A reviews site. An online directory. An app. A streaming channel.

It sounds like it ought to work pretty good?

The first attempt at radios for me was with FRS. They came with one earbud and an inline push to talk mic which I mounted inside the helmet chin. It worked ok but I didn't know any better at that time.
    Spedee and I now use Collett Commumicators and they are the Kats Ass. The voice activation works surprisingly well and you can hear each other even at high speeds (not with FRS). It takes a little time to get used to but once two of you have the knack and protocol you won't want to be without them. More than two people can be a bit of a pain when that person doesn't shutup or adjust their VOX properly.
    They add an extra enjoyable dimension to riding together.
    Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Originally posted by BeekMan
      More than two people can be a bit of a pain when that person doesn't shutup or adjust their VOX properly.
      that was directed at me wasn't it

Comment

Originally posted by Range
        More than two people can be a bit of a pain when that person doesn't shutup or adjust their VOX properly.
        that was directed at me wasn't it
        Not really...you never said a damn thing. Guess you were shy.

Comment

I have heard that the throat mikes do not work very well. I have never tried them, just heard others talking about them.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

You dont get all the wind noise thru the mic ?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
              The VOX is very good at filtering it out...but if you have it adjusted for low speeds and then take off it sometimes will turn on so everyone else gets to hear your motor reving. Once you get used to it you learn to tweak it so this doesn't happen. As far as the wind noise when you are at speed and start talking...it's not a problem. The trick is to speak clearly and resist the urge to yell despite the external noise since there is no need to, and if you do it distorts your voice.

Comment

THESE are the ones I have. They work well. Also, what prompted the purchase was Motorcycle Consumer News rating them top and a best buy...
                -Steve

Comment

Hey Steve, can those hook up to any type of radio? Like those motorola or similar type with like a 2 mile range?
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks for the input. I decided against the throat mike and ordered one of the Autocom devices like BobKat got. I went back and played the demo videos from both sites and the Autocom was superior but of course it should be for the price. Anyway there is one part in the throat mike video where no matter how many times I play it back, I don't have a clue what the guy is saying. His speech also resembles what it sounds like if you try to hold your tongue with your fingers and try to talk, only not quite that bad. That got me to thinking that some sounds come from the tongue, lips and teeth not throat vibrations. The letters "s" and "F" for example.

With the Autocom I have an on bike intercom and my wife and I can share one radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                      The VOX is very good at filtering it out...but if you have it adjusted for low speeds and then take off it sometimes will turn on so everyone else gets to hear your motor reving. Once you get used to it you learn to tweak it so this doesn't happen. As far as the wind noise when you are at speed and start talking...it's not a problem. The trick is to speak clearly and resist the urge to yell despite the external noise since there is no need to, and if you do it distorts your voice.

Have any problems with getting other riders chatter at all as well, when you get within range of them?

Comment

I tried the FRS radios, once, with Radio Shack throat mics, which RS advertised as being great for motorcycles. What BS, based on my one experience. My riding buddy and I had them on and turned on when we left his house, and before we got out of town, they were off our heads and in the bag, where they stayed the entire trip. We could HEAR each other, but could not understand a thing. Both radio and throat mic/earbud had vol. controls, and we did not spend much time tweeking one and then the other, so we might have been able to fine tune the setup. Anybody had better results? I would love to go that route, it is the least expensive way, IF I can find a way to make it work.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Theres a guy on ebay selling the same setup as those Rocketmate setups for the half the price and he uses all motorola parts. Also the earpieces and mic have velcro and gluepads. You gluepad the earpieces and mic to the inside of your helmet, then you can remove later by pulling the velcro.

Comment

has anyone ever used a throat/vibration mic? i found some on ebay for fairly cheap and am curious to know how well they work..

Comment

read my post above, pollo.
                              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Working...
                              X