Not being cheap on Boots!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• professa_riddler
    replied
    Cool. I'll think I'll give him a shout. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• thetable
    replied
    Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
    I guess I didn't narrow it down. I think the next step is to see if Rev or local dealership have them in stock and to start trying them on to see what works for me.
    If you haven't yet, give Brian at atomic a call or email. The guy is a gear savant. He's worked with me a couple times and been spot on. On boot sizes, he prefers to go from the EU size from athletic shoes, as supposedly that is support to be more consistent. He can probably help talk you into the best boot for your purposes. Last time I called him for questions, there was no pressure, actually had to push that I really did want to order a few things. I got the "this is what I'd recommend, but go ahead and do your research and let me know if you want to get it," spiel.

Leave a comment:

• steves
    replied
    Joe Rocket Gear is generally your basic entry level type of stuff. That said, I've found that they have a small toe box and don't work for me.

Leave a comment:

• Doppleganger3814
    replied
    I ended up buying these : http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/j...tic-tour-boots

The info I found online sums up that they are an entry level touring boot. For the price and free shipping, I couldn't pass these up for my first pair of touring boots. I haven't got a chance to ride them yet (has rained for a week here ) but have tried them on and they feel good without them even being broken in.

Leave a comment:

• professa_riddler
    replied
    I think I have narrowed down my selections...with such great options I think I might have to get two boots.

Joeseph and the vid from Atomic really sold me on the Oil Balance...it's really a nice boot and from the vid the brown is not as "bright" as I thought it was. This is probably a top choice for me ATM.

I'm still digging the G-Adventure but I'm really liking the Alpine Scouts...Tzortn also addressed an issue I had with them, the PU coated leather and breathability but it seems to breathe well. So that is probably a hard second for me and the Adventure in third.

But at Atomic I also got a glimpse of the Gaerne Midland boots I think it's called. It seems to have everything I'm looking for, great reviews, and is a great looking boot. At the time of my search, Atomic appears to be the only retailer to have them.

STOP the Presses. I just logged on to Atomic and seen this: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...ots_p_927.html the black version to the oil in a lighter leather. and this: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Bou...ots_p_792.html Might be a subsidary of Gaerne (exact style, pattern, look of the Balances, not waterproof).

I guess I didn't narrow it down. I think the next step is to see if Rev or local dealership have them in stock and to start trying them on to see what works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sky
    replied
    I'll never wear anything else then my Sidi .... once they wear out I'll get another pair .

Leave a comment:

• tzortn
    replied
    Cool and thanks. The brown is really not bad at all, I feel I have some great options now.

I like, I like...I looked at these too for a bit. Not bad at all.
    I just did a four hundred mile trip in those. They were comfortable both on and off the bike. I wear synthetic ski socks with these and my feet never felt clammy.

Leave a comment:

• 91_gsx600F katana
    replied
    I just ordered a set of the TCX X-cube boots. They are mid calve sneaker boot that's as comfortable as a sneaker but protective in the ankle and stuff. I heard great things about it. Goin to post reviews on it. It's not a race boot but its better than sneakers.

Leave a comment:

• numus
    replied
    Originally posted by steves View Post
    Riding boots usually have a full length shank to protect the foot from penetration.
    Riding boots (over the ankle) are stiff and designed to prevent ankle rotation.
    The soles are designed for pavement contact.

I have and do occasion ride in a pair of sneakers, but I really prefer a boot whenever I can.
    I find it difficult to wear boots when I am not going on long trips... If I am riding to a place to walk around for a while, boots are very restrictive and it is a pain to carry them in a backpack.

Leave a comment:

• bubbles
    replied
    My Alpinestar sport touring boots are awesome. Waterproof,comfortable on and off the bike. 6 years and still going strong. When the sole was wearing out I went to a shoe maker and had him re-sole them with a Vibram sole. Having said all that i've only read rave reviews of Sidi boots

Leave a comment:

• professa_riddler
    replied
    Originally posted by thetable View Post
    I can fit a 2E, but a 4E is much more comfortable, the Gaernes are in the comfortable range. They are one of the few that is good and wide.

Design "feature" not a flaw. Their last is what it is, it's highly unlikely they'll make any major changes.

If I think about it, I'll get some pics of the Balances and the Infinities up, and you can see for yourself what you think. The only really bad place on my brown boots is where the shifter hits, and that is primarily because of the aluminum shifters on the dirt bikes, but it's a little black patch.

If the brown is really a deal breaker, and you can live without waterproof, then check out the Gaerne Balance Pro Tech. Comes in black, similar quality of leather, and same quality of construction, but no waterproof layer.
    Cool and thanks. The brown is really not bad at all, I feel I have some great options now.

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
    I bought a pair of these a couple of months ago http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...scout-wp-boots. I have been really happy with them. They are very supportive and comfortable. The toe is a little tall but they worked with the shifter on my FZ8 after a little adjustment.
    I like, I like...I looked at these too for a bit. Not bad at all.
    Last edited by professa_riddler; 06-18-2013, 07:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• tzortn
    replied
    I bought a pair of these a couple of months ago http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...scout-wp-boots. I have been really happy with them. They are very supportive and comfortable. The toe is a little tall but they worked with the shifter on my FZ8 after a little adjustment.

Leave a comment:

• thetable
    replied
    Joseph, thanks for the insight. I was worried about the fit of Gaerne cause Italian/European cuts are very narrow and/or slim fit.
    I can fit a 2E, but a 4E is much more comfortable, the Gaernes are in the comfortable range. They are one of the few that is good and wide.

I'm also digging these from Dainese: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...-d-wp-c2-boots

The previous model, for some, claim to a little narrow and stiff. I'm hoping they fixed this issue.
    Design "feature" not a flaw. Their last is what it is, it's highly unlikely they'll make any major changes.

If I think about it, I'll get some pics of the Balances and the Infinities up, and you can see for yourself what you think. The only really bad place on my brown boots is where the shifter hits, and that is primarily because of the aluminum shifters on the dirt bikes, but it's a little black patch.

If the brown is really a deal breaker, and you can live without waterproof, then check out the Gaerne Balance Pro Tech. Comes in black, similar quality of leather, and same quality of construction, but no waterproof layer.

Leave a comment:

• skjeflo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doppleganger3814 View Post
    These are the boots I'm looking to purchase. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oad-Boots.aspx
    They look to be a good entry level boot and protect the shin, ankle and are water proof. Any word on these from TM?
    Looked at these as well, seemed pretty comfy (with one exception) and protection is OK. Ended up with the A* Web Gore-Tex because the TM 14W (EURO 48) wasn't quite big enough, the A* 14 (EURO 50) was and the local shop I bought through didn't have the TM in a 15 to try on.
    Last edited by skjeflo; 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM. Reason: Life is in the details...

Leave a comment:

• professa_riddler
    replied
    Originally posted by steves View Post
    Poser
    You know it

Originally posted by Doppleganger3814 View Post
    These are the boots I'm looking to purchase. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oad-Boots.aspx
    They look to be a good entry level boot and protect the shin, ankle and are water proof. Any word on these from TM?
    These look good...I recently scanned over some of the TM boots...they're really not that bad.
    Last edited by professa_riddler; 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

Working...
X