X

Quicks Disconn. for Helmets..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicks Disconn. for Helmets..

Does anyone use a quick disconnect system on there helmet strap or just the D-rings? I've heard some mixed reviews and just curious because the D-rings are the traditional way, and have always worked well for me.

similar to whats listed here...

I have a friend who has a nolan helmet that comes with a quick disconnect. He says the plastic latch under his chin bothers him.

Comment

I would think it would be a pain too. Something else too, what about velcro..there's local bike cops, with their official brain bucket helmets where the strap, is secured by velcro, as opposed to 2 D rings.

I suppose its quicker for them to remove it in an emergency, but yikes, not for me I dont think.

Comment

When I was riding a cruiser, I wore a half helmet. I had a quick disconnect on it and it worked great, but the connector was beside my cheek. I could not see using it with a full face and having it under my chin.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

My wifes AGV GP-1 Helmet has one on it. It is metal though. She says it hard to get to the button with gloves on. Other than that she has no complaints about it.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

well the d-rings are hard for me with gloves on..

the only thing I want a quick disconnect on is my wife's lingere and my underwear after eating mexican food.
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
              well the d-rings are hard for me with gloves on..

the only thing I want a quick disconnect on is my wife's lingere and my underwear after eating mexican food.
              LOL no her helmet actually has the quick disconnect on it.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I have (or had, don't remember) one on one of my shorties. was aight. ne'er had the glove problem though (possibly cuz some of my gloves look like this http://www.dunhamssports.com/graphic...-141974reg.jpg )
                - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Re: Quicks Disconn. for Helmets..

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                  Does anyone use a quick disconnect system on there helmet strap or just the D-rings? I've heard some mixed reviews and just curious because the D-rings are the traditional way, and have always worked well for me.

similar to whats listed here...
                  I have that exact quick connect, I have yet to put it on the helmet. I also have a Lazer helmet with the factory quick connect, VERY nice.
                  Wish I could buy 4 more helmets just like it, but apparently the DOT won't certify a quick connnect strap anymore.

Comment

i have an agv and it came with this one i like it and can get it off with my gloves

Comment

it depends on you.example if you would ride around with the d rings loose because it's to hard to tighten,than a quick disconnect is much better.

Comment

i know a couple people who just cut the straps off altogether. me perosnally, i gotta have something holding it on. i'll take the extra 15 seconds and work the d rings, but if something came out that worked a ton better, i'd give it a go
                        if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

I have both D-ring and rachet-mechanism quick-release helmets. The rachett is on the Nolans (metal & poly), and I love it. Push in to connect (and hear the five clicks when it's all the way in), lift the lever to release the mechanism and it drops right out. I can put on a D-ring in the darkest night without thinking about (it's muscle memory after all these years), but I feel safer with the rachet if someone had to treat me in an accident (far less likely to injure my head to get the strap off). The Nolan is also the standard police helmet for many European countries now, including Germany

Note that neither of these systems are as flimsy as the plastic latch clip that your URL pointed at. While I doubt the latch you pointed at would break on impact, I suspect it wouldn't age well and the plastic may become brittle.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use an Echo quick connect on all my helmets and have for years. Here is what I use and recommend:

Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                            X