X

New Scorpion helmet....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scorpion helmet....

I finally bought a new helmet, i put my HCJ to the back of the closet.
    Based on the issues I had with the HJC, I looked for a new lid that covered my needs and wants.
    First the old lid had covers for the visor pivot which equals nasty wind noise, the vents were pretty much useless, there was really no difference between open and closed. The lack of sufficient cheek padding made for uncomfortable push back at freeway speeds and dealing with sun glasses in the lid was a PITA.

I started looking a the Scorpion units based on the lid the wife currently has, she likes it and some of the complaints I had with the old lid hers doesn't have, so enter the new Scorpion EXO-500.
    The new lid has no side covers, no wind noise! I have the Scala Pro comm system and with the visor down, I don't need to keep the volume way up like before, even with the built in tinted visor down, the wind noise is minimal. There is plenty of room for the boom style mic, I did buy the wired mic, I'm going to try both.

The vent system works well. We went for a ride into the mountains yesterday and I played with the vents as we rode along. the chin vent actually stops airflow. When open a good amount of air moves in, it got a bit cool in the mountains so it stayed closed most of the time. The vents on the top seemed to keep air flow out when closed... open there was some feeling of air.. I doubt enough to keep your head cool on a hot day, (and they are a bit hard to find with gloves) but with the chin vent open it seemed better. It also has the nose bridge thing that helps deflect air and to help keep from fogging the visor. I noticed no wind buffeting at freeway speeds either.

Top vents are in a good place, even with the visor open just a crack or wide open, I still felt air movement unlike the HJC, with the visor open just a bit it blocked the top vent.

The cheek pads have a built in "pump" system that you pump up to help with push back. The lid is a medium and fits snug but not too tight as apposed to the HJC that was tight as a large and now is somewhat loose due to age and use.
    With out using the pump system there was no push back when we were on the freeway.. I did pump the button twice and it did snug up the cheek area nicely.. once the padding gets worn a bit I think the pump system will be very useful. The vent button is a bit of a challenge to find with or without gloves on, it's about the diameter of an eraser on a pencil.

The "I want" feature is the drop down tinted visor. The HJC I tried with the same visor system didn't seem to come down far enough for me and left a line just below my line of sight. The EXO comes down farther and with the nose bridge thing it leaves just a small sight line even tho the gap is about 1"

The lever to operate the tinted visor is a bit weak.. and by weak I mean its a challenge to find with gloves on to operate it, bare hands it's OK.. I'm sure with time it will be easier to find.
    The outer visor also has a lever that locks the visor closed or keeps it locked open about 1/2" for venting and unlocked. It's a bit easier to find than the other.

The liner comes out for easy washing and replacing if needed. All the padding is comfortable and not itchy like the HJC was at first. The removable liner also makes it easy to install the comm system wires for the speakers, there are nice pockets that the fit behind nicely.

Over all with one days worth of riding, I like it, and the features work well. Time will tell how it preforms for me, but so far it was worth the money.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Nice review. I almost bought one a couple months ago, but the store didnt have my size in stock.

Comment

That's a snazzy helmet. I enjoyed the review; however, my head was designed for the Shoei Strife II.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

nice lid.. i got the matte black.. not a bit graphics guy...
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

Funny you mention this, I also had an HJC and was looking for an upgrade. A buddy of mine was buying a leather jacket from craigslist and called me to say the guy was also offering his Scorpion helmet for $20. For that price I said what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

Its the exo-400, and I was immediately impressed by the quality over the HJC. Just like you said, nice liner, fits great, less wind noise, and definitely moves more air, I noticed that very quickly on my drive in to work in the low 40's (brrr!). Visor is more solid and just feels like a much better quality. I probably would have never considered these helmets before, but I am definitely a fan now. Another plus, not only DOT, but SNELL certified as well.
          89 Katana 750
          06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

I have rode to work 3 days so far.. the new lid is so comfortable... i cant seem to find something i dont like about it...

It also got me thinking.. the HJC is damn near 10 years old... and the attention to the inside padding design shows it.. so I broke out my vintage '84 Shoei and compared the 3...

The Shoei, vintage 1984.. and those padding strips are like 1/2" thick too.

The 10yo HJC.. it's better than the ole Shoei.. but the Shoei may actually have more padding at the top of the lid.. scary eh?

The new Scorpion.. much better.

The comparo makes a good case for buying a new lid every few years...
            Last edited by GSXFJim; 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM.
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

Take a minute to tuck those speaker wires between the padding and the shell. That way they won't get caught or chafed as you put the helmet on and take it off. Besides, it looks nicer.

I installed an Autocom headset in my son's Scorpion with the wired mic. Running the wires was a breeze thanks to the scorpion's design and there's plenty of room between his jaw and the chin of the helmet.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Cant bill.. the padding id glued to the base of the shell and to the trim piece.
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

Are you sure it's glued? I can remove the all of the padding from my 1000, and I was able to run my blinc system wires before the padding. I've had to replace my entire bottom padded area. It feels like it's glued, but it's actually on snaps in. Give their support a call, they are phenomenal.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

INteresting....I've got a 500 and I think the wind noise is obnoxious. WOnder if they've changed something?

Comment

i picked up a 400, and am liking it so far. feels good, nice padding, plenty ventilation. only 'complaint' is the weight..but it's really not heavy in any way.
                      2001 GSX600F

Comment

I have the 400 (3 lbs., 15 oz.), and 1000 (4 lbs., 0-1/4 oz). The 1000 is a bit heavier than the 400, but I don't think I can tell the difference.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Seems kinda silly that we're complaining about a helmet weighing 3-4 lbs. I got used to driving a HMMWV while wearing a 9 lb kevlar with NVGs hanging from the front of the thing. I hardly notice the weight of my Shoei.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

OK.. so I have one issue with the new helmet.
                            With the top vents open and the visor closed it makes for some pretty loud wind noise. There is good air flow, but it's pretty loud. I closed one and it cut it in half, both closed and its nice. With the visor open you don't notice it at all. However I seem to prefer having the visor open and the tinted shield down.
                            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                            X