No announcement yet.
X

Pulled the trigger on a new modular helmet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice lid. I would say that a good helmet is definitely worth the investment. I went down once and was glad I was wearing a full face helmet and a jacket with armor pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
      I've seen the same research and that's why I brought it up.
      So you agree. The numbers say that a cheap helmet IS as protective as an expensive one. the difference is in features and creature comforts.

Originally posted by Nero View Post
      Personally, I find it funny that people will argue the stuff all day long on a forum, then go out and ride like idiots. If surviving was your priority, slow down or better yet, sell the bike! :bunny2
      And that's why I haven't had a speeding ticket in a whole lot of years...

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
      ...but then again I've never worn a Shoei nor Arai.......???
      Once you've managed to convince yourself to buy a Shoei you'll never want to go back. I'd assume the same is true for an Arai or any of the other premium helmets. I talked myself into my first Shoei by thinking about how many hours I was planning to have the thing on my head. That many hours suffering through a not-quite-comfortable helmet made it seem worth the money to get one I liked wearing. I haven't been sorry. Last fall I looked really hard at getting a Scorpion but the price difference didn't seem like that much when you think about how long you plan to wear it.
      Last edited by Wild-Bill; 03-27-2012, 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Once you've managed to convince yourself to buy a Shoei you'll never want to go back. I'd assume the same is true for an Arai or any of the other premium helmets. I talked myself into my first Shoei by thinking about how many hours I was planning to have the thing on my head. That many hours suffering through a not-quite-comfortable helmet made it seem worth the money to get one I liked wearing.
        That's the thing..... my helmets fit great, but I find both a tad annoying at hwy speeds due to the wind noise I get....... almost to the point I want to start riding with ear-plugs. If I shell out the money for a Shoei etc I'd love to be able to try it on for a ride to compare, but so far the dealers I purchase from have been reluctant to let me do that for some reason.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Maybe if they've got a desk fan?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Maybe if they've got a desk fan?
            Hmmmmmm.....not as crazy as it souds!
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Once you've managed to convince yourself to buy a Shoei you'll never want to go back. I'd assume the same is true for an Arai or any of the other premium helmets. I talked myself into my first Shoei by thinking about how many hours I was planning to have the thing on my head. That many hours suffering through a not-quite-comfortable helmet made it seem worth the money to get one I liked wearing. I haven't been sorry. Last fall I looked really hard at getting a Scorpion but the price difference didn't seem like that much when you think about how long you plan to wear it.
              I love my high-end DOT/SNELL Icon too, and re-purchased the same helmet after it saved my bacon in a minor crash 3 years ago. I really believe in the ratings on web sites that allow you to review user experiences with the helmet and that factored heavily into this purchase. If one of the premium brands put out a helmet that had the same features and had better user ratings from websites, I would have given it more thought. However, the only premium brand that has went that direction with the modulars is Shoei, which had one for a little over $400. However, in the end, the Shoei had no better user ratings and hadn't the same features. I couldn't justify the extra money for a helmet I'll wear part-time 'just because it's a Shoei.'

We all know these premium brands, along with their added creature comforts, also pad their helmets with extra $$$ because they can get away with it. One thing I know after watching and studying marketing for years is that it's not that any lower brand can't make a specific product. They simply choose a market segment for the own profitability. Do you not think that the engineers at BELL, HJC and Nolan, etc., haven't the ability to build a competing helmet with premium brands like Arai or Shoei? The HJC I just bought was on the high-end of modulars, and is the highest model HJC sells (until the RPMAX hits this year at $400-450). You've got to believe that HJC will bring their A-game and won't be kidding around if they're going to be selling at the same price point as the Shoei Neotec. They can create superior helmets, but then they're aiming at a different market and dealing with brand rep. Admit it; even if you thought a premium HJC was as good in every measureable way with your Shoei, you'd still get the Shoei for the same price. Have you read that report where a marketing rep for one of the high-ends admitted to getting SNELL ratings because that's what consumers want, and not what contributes to safety?

Like any other product, you need to find your slot within the market and focus on one or two of the big four: Better product, better price, better value or better service. I happen to feel that IF I bought a high-end helmet from a company not known for high-end, they're less likely to pad their price because they know they can get away with it. And why do I know that? Because I've seen it hundreds of times, and in just about every product/market. BMW has been beaten by Ford in just about every measure of quality for a dozen years, and yet people are still beating down the doors to buy a Beemer over a Top-end Ford that packs more features for the same price. I buy watches for $500 that beat the pants off of watches from Rolex and Brietling that cost $3K. People pay for brand rep. -Except me. Show me real improvements for my money or walk. I could care less if it's a Shoei or else. I just want value for my money, and I think I got it with this purchase. I'm not a spring chicken and have owned helmets from Bell, Nolan, HJC, Joe Rocket, Arai, Icon, and half a dozen other manufacturers, and I've learned a thing or two about the process of finding a good product for my money. Not bragging, but I make a really good living and can purchase ANY helmet on the market if I choose too, but you've got to show me real value in a particular helmet or I walk. Granted, I haven't bought a helmet for less than $250 in years, but that's because I know that the better features and materials does cost money for ANY manufacturer.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Wasn't poo-pooing your HJC at all. I've discovered that HJCs tend to be shaped wrong for my head. They give me a hot spot just above the hairline in front. AGVs squeeze my ears. There is some difference between brands that way but you're right, brand name matters a whole lot less than quality of construction and features.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

You're right guys, I shouldn't judge HJC to quick. It's just that every HJC I used was inferior to other brands I had a chance to try (AGV, Shoe, Arai etc.). They were louder and the seemed to 'age' sooner then other helmets. That's all, I hope their new models will be much better and I'm more then willing to pay some more for a better quality...

Comment

Originally posted by davepol View Post
                    They were louder and the seemed to 'age' sooner then other helmets.
                    Thats my big gripe with the cheaper helmets I've tried, they wear in from "headache tight" to "hey look when I shake my head the helmet stays still" a lot quicker.

Although I will say after 4 years, I think I should have gone one size down on my Shoei...gonna order a new set of size S cheekpads for it here in a bit.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

So, the issue is not the brand but the cheaper models. As I said before, you get what you pay for. $100 is not going to get you the best of the best. You've got to be willing to pay for it. Not fair to compare a $100 entry-level helmet to an Arai, which starts at $500. I own another, cheaper HJC that's been seeing dust bunnies for years in the Garage. I compared it to my new HJC and there was no comparison in terms of fit, finish and materials, and I know the results would be the same for my Icon DD2. Personally, I found that I bought helmets twice as often when I bought cheap lids. The pads would become spongy, the weight was heavier and the finish would become marred because the outer coating was razor-thin. So, they're really not the bargain they would initially seem to be.

However, I think four or five years is about the length of time I will own any one helmet before moving to a new one anyway. I've got a row of them on a shelf in my garage because I'm too much of a hoarder to toss them. Five years is about the time before a really new feature will come along, or the helmet I'm wearing will have suffered enough damage and sweat puddles that I want a fresh one. I waited for the group of competing modulars to mature until they were decent. As I said, this new HJC will not replace my Icon, but it will be sufficient for part-time duty when I'm cruising with my GF.
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                      X