Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

gear: not just for rideing anymore (ugly) any crampbuster advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear: not just for rideing anymore (ugly) any crampbuster advice?

Made the mistake of breaking the bolts loose on some bars without wearing gloves or removing the mirrors first. Bolt was rusted on (old teardown) and when it came loose my hand pulled some grassy knoll crap and ended up smashing the mirror. Yeah, go me...
    anyway, had allready had the pinky finger on that hand partially severed a few years back, this was a bit uglier but more superficial I thought. Ended up being wrooong... but really My own fault, shoulda worn some gloves! Still don't most of the time, but way more aware of the times I do need to. Hand really kicks my a$$ with typing, slows me down in the shop, and was totally avoidable (though a one in a fcing million, as youll find out my luck runs lol) Be carefull folks... don't fck with your throttle hand! Btw, anyone use any of those cramp buster things? And cruise control items, what are my options there? Ps, this was around a year ago... healed that, tendons are all jacked, and middle knuckles currently broken awaiting time to go in... thank god for tricare!

I had a Vista-Cruise throttle lock on another bike and liked it a lot. I put an Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control on my 750 and it was insanely nice. Any throttle lock will do just that-lock the throttle. Probably not a big deal for you considering you live in East Texas but it also won't shut off in an emergency. A real cruise control will react to changing terrain and shut off automatically when you hit the brake or clutch.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Wow Dude hope you heal-up.
      I used the o-ring throttle lock, it worked fine for crudely hold speed but did allow me take my throttle hand off once and a while to keep the numbness down.
      It only works on flat roads. I could also shift with it engaged.
      Blackdog
      DRz-400e plated
      Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

I could never get the hang on the cramp buster/throttle rocker.

I have throttlemeisters on both my bikes, love em.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Does that mean you are going to have bad luck for seven years to go along with a smashed up hand?

As to cruise control, I use an appropriately sized o-ring wedged between the grip and the bar end weight.
          Last edited by thetable; 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Damn that looks painful...

Comment

Sheesh that looks evil.

I use a generic Throttle Rocker that has the adjustable velcro strap. I can ride without grabbing the bar on that side at all if I needed to. Would be great if....ya know...ya punched a mirror and messed up your hand real bad.
                92 1100 Kat

Comment

wow....that did not look good.

never saw the need for cruise control it would just be in my way.
                  you guys ride too much highway
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Wow! That sucks! I can only imagine the amount of vocabulary that unleashed.

Hope you heal up soon! Hope try-to-care gives you decent service too!
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Do you HAVE to ride with your hand like that ? I think you should take the cage till that heals up some. If the bike is your only transport, I'd say get a cramp buster for now, simply because it does not require any complicated movement of the hand .

The o-ring might not work for you right now because it's a pain in the *** to engage it with a good hand. You have to roll it off the end of your grip over that little bump of rubber and have it wedge between the bar end and the grip. Nice thing about it tho is you can remove your hand from the throttle for a while and rest it in your lap.

The cramp buster might be a good temporary choice for you. Altho you can't take your hand off the bar, you simply rest your palm on it to maintain speed and can relax your hand and stretch your fingers.

Really tho man, stay off the bike until you can confidently operate the throttle, and more importantly, the front brake.
                      1990 GSXF 1100
                      2011 KLR 650

Comment

Nasty!!!

I use a throttle rocker, I find it helps on the long rides. I've got the dreaded carpal tunnel and without the throttle rocker I'm only good for 30-40 min.

Comment

Lol, sorry folks kinda let this one get away from me... thanks for all the concerns, but this happened last year, while I was learning to walk again (balance issues + breaking loose bolts on the bars, bad idea #1) working on tearing down a junker cx500 (1980) with stock bolts never removed. I went up to the hospital in killeen, and had them throw some stitches in. Pulled them out two weeks later, it closed up but lots of scar tissue/tendon issues/mother of all that's not holy pain. Oh, and numbness after too long... no matter right now, as I couldn't fire the kat or sabre up anyway lol. It is curremntly broke on the middle knuckle, that sucks, but switching docs right now... ill have to take a "healed" pic lol, though it does still scare small children and gets a lot of questions about where I "got it" around halloween...

I have done the oring trick on others, but no bar ends yet... and yeah, lol, tricky with all your hand in good order... bar ends are coming though, cut down on vibs so the hand holds out longer lol. I'm lookong for either a rest type I can remove, or way of locking the throttle I can still push down through in an emergency without timely disengagement... o ring does both, but was wondering if id missed any really awsome products in my absence from the road lol. As for cages, the accident that snapped my leg (damn drunk driver) makes them more uncomfortable for it than a bike (SOME cars, and SOME bikes lol.) Was pretty much a "watch out" post lol.
                          Last edited by Silent; 10-06-2011, 10:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i use both cramp buster and throttle lock. just be careful about remembering the lock is engaged.
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Ill def be checking them out, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X