To buy or not to buy...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy...

thats the question!
    A friend of mine sell a pair of helmets, a Arai Quantum Doohan and a Shoei XR800 Abe. The Arai was used by him, that rides a SV a few years ago, but a car tned him and then decided to sell the bike. Helmet has no damage and he uses it only a few months.
    The Shoei belongs his wife, only used 3 or 4 times, becaue she was really scared about bikes.
    Helmeys had been a pair of years in the box and he is asking 340€. Itīs cheap, isnt a deal, but itīs cheap, becasue sizes are ok for me and Cristina, and we both like them, but not sure...
    Here in Spain I can get the Shoei XR1000 plain in 240€, so two would be 480€, and we have seen too the Shoei XR1000 Badge for 350€, two would be 700, no way, at the moment!
    Any suggestions?
    PICSSSS!!!!

I say NO.

Unless they are mint and at a giveaway, stay away from used helmets. Designs, materials and protection levels change for a reason. There are plenty of other helmets that you can get that are in your price range and have up to date safety ratings. I believe the standard replacement for most helmets is in the 2 year range. The padding in the helmet will break down from age, as well as wear so even "barely used" helmets are subject to failure in this way.

Shop around online and find a couple of nice helmets in your range and think protection not style. If you have some kind of trouble with te currency and or shipping I'm sure someone here can help you out getting your noggin safe.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

The general opinion I've read is that a helmet is good for 5 years before it deteriorates and may no longer be safe in a crash. And remember that is 5 years from manufacture not from purchase.

Spend the extra 140 and get new lids, or shop around for some deals.
      Kyle

Comment

I agree with Jim.

Even if that helmet never hit the ground in your buds crash I still wouldn't trust it. Too risky.

Your melon is worth more than the 100 bucks you're gonna save on a used helmet.

8)

Comment

Comment

Thanks again, I know that helmet is ok because I was riding behind him, car t-boned fork and front rim and my buddy didnt fall, was really slowly.

But I have searching eBay, and find this:

That colour scheme is awesome, but I have been searching in Shoei site and dont find it, could it be a scam? Itīs a eBay store, so I guess isnt scam, but..
            PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by masrapido
              That colour scheme is awesome, but I have been searching in Shoei site and dont find it, could it be a scam? Itīs a eBay store, so I guess isnt scam, but..
              That is a sweet lookin lid!!! And you're right... have never seen that design before... might be a few years old???

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                Originally posted by masrapido
                That is a sweet lookin lid!!! And you're right... have never seen that design before... might be a few years old???
                I have seen the Suzuki rider Yukio Kagayama wearing it a few years, but the model showed is from this year, he is racing in the BSB with Suzuki Rizzla.
                I have been looking and the shop looks real, so maybe Iīll try to purchase it!
                PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Seems that finally I purchased them... ouch!
                  Well, friend let me test the helmet a few days, and since itīs really new new new, itīs comfy and its Doohan Ok certificated (LOL), I just have to bought it.
                  Seriously, I was really close to buy the KBC or an HJC, but since I havent test them in my "strange" melon. i as a bit affraid. Then, I mailed to Aria head quarters in Spain quiestioning about how last a helmet. and they said me that no problem, if the helmet as been storaged in good condition, so... here it is:

Rear view:

Side view:

I look so niceeeeeee yeahhhhhh!:

I have purchased via eBay a mirror and a clear screen. The helmet has the clear screen ok, only a little scratch (against a door, arg!).
                  PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Looks like it's be IMPOSSIBLE to put glasses on under that lid !
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Looks like it's be IMPOSSIBLE to put glasses on under that lid !
                      Yep, I have broken too much sun glasses to try it again...
                      Lucky me, I donīt need glasses!
                      PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X