No announcement yet.
X

Heated gear... need some suggestions...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, I'm late to the party... Missed the thread first time 'round.

In the interest of keeping things packable, skip the jacket liner, and go for a vest. They are smaller, and will keep your core temp up, which in turn will keep blood flowing to extremities. I have ridden a couple hours in temps 10F+ with just the vest (and other normal gear.) I'm a fan of the Exo2 StormRider Vest, but it is a bit on the pricey side. On the other hand, you do not need a heat controller with that setup. My second choice would be the new Gerbing Microwire Vest.

Skip the gloves and go with heated grips. Once you install them, they are always available. They won't keep your hands quite as warm as heated gloves, but they will take enough of the edge off to make riding tolerable, and they keep you from having to pack an extra set of gloves. I have the Symtec grip heaters installed on two bikes, and Magura heated grips on the third. The Magura's get so hot even on the low setting, it is usually 5 minutes on, 5 off. The Symtec's depend largely on bar construction and grips, but on both bikes, they will get uncomfortably warm on the high setting even through the thick Progrip 714. I don't anticipating ever having a street bike without heated grips again. My feet are what usually end up doing me in before my hands. (Unless I just took the front clip off, and forgot to reattach the switch for the grips.)
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

hmmm ya, the cold ride in yesterday almost killed my hands. I think I might go the grip route. anyone else have any experience with heated grips?
      FunEMT
      2000 Katana 600

Comment

Ironic I ran into this thread again.

I've since purchased the Tourmaster heated jacket. Rode to work in 40 degrees the other day. On medium setting, I had to turn it down because I was starting to sweat. This while wearing a mesh jacket with only a wind liner in it. On the way home in 60 degrees, I had it unplugged and was soaked when I got home.

Didn't realize it, but the jacket has not only the ceramic heating elements, but also 100 gram polyfill. I should be good with just the mesh jacket setup into the low teens.

ND

Comment

Originally posted by FunEMT View Post
          anyone else have any experience with heated grips?
          Yes .
          They work GREAT down to aboot 30*F . Below THAT , your palms will still sweat , but the BACKS of your hands will be frozen . I'd bet coupled with some sort of mitten-thing (Moose hands or something ? ) , or a DP-type brush/hand guard to block the wind , they'd be GREAT then , too . Never tried that , personally . I don't make it a habit to ride much below 30*f , or at 25*f or so for more than an hour .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
            or a DP-type brush/hand guard to block the wind , they'd be GREAT then , too .
            Not great, but definitely better. Hippo hands would probably make them great.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

99 Ford F150 4x4
              04 Mustang GT
              2010 Camaro SS
              06 GSX600F
              sigpic

Comment

diavolo

I have the gerbing liner and glove inserts. Sure is nice when the temps are in the 30's, I have noticed they draw a lot of current (liner aspecially) do you have any issues with this. I can see my lights dimming in sync with the charging system. I just ordered a new battery with a few more amps to see if solves the issue.

Greg

Comment

Yes, I have dug up one of my old threads from the dead.

Just to let everyone know that I've decided to pull the trigger on a Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 Jacket and matching Textile gloves.

That is all.

And no, It doesn't take me a year to make a decision. Just wasn't cold enough out here to justify the purchase... until this winter, that is.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X