X

Review; First Gear TPG Escape Overpants Vs FG HT II

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review; First Gear TPG Escape Overpants Vs FG HT II

I typed this up over on ADV when people were asking about winter pants, figure I would copy it over here too while I was at it, so:

Let me start with a summary, so you can decide if you want to keep reading:
    For the marginal price difference between the FirstGear HT II and the FirstGear Escape TPG, I would buy the Escapes every time. The Escape is a far superior product.

I have both the Firstgear HT II overpants and the First Gear Escape TPG pants. I must say the Escape TPG pants are a far step better than the HT II. They are warmer, more comfortable, better cut and better protection.

The only things I don't like about the TPG pants are the length of the side zipper and the fact that the armor is not adjustable. The side zipper is about 4-6 inches short of making them a good overpant. I can get in and out of them with boots on, but it does require a bit more finesse and planning than it does with the HT II's full length zipper. Unlike the armor on the HT II, which is held in place with hook and loop, making it very adjustable, the escape pants hold the armor in pockets that are where they are, and they aren't moving.

As to the overall warmth, the Escape pants are far superior. Perhaps that is due solely to the miles of abuse that my HT II pants suffered through, but the Escape pants easily give me an additional 10-15*F of comfort.

IMHO, the Escapes were designed by someone who rode, where as the HT IIs were designed by someone who had seen someone ride once or twice. The Escapes have functional pockets, where as with the godawful velcro crap that was on the pockets of the HT II, made them all but completely useless. Since wearing the Escapes for the last couple months, I find myself actually using the pockets for something other than hiding a spare key because I knew I would never put my hand in there unless all other options were out.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break
Working...
X