Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Riding in tennis shoes and jeans, how dangerous is it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlmerdian
    replied
    Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
    Tennis shoes?
    One word - Shoelaces.

They don't mix well with motorcycle chains.
    Very True. Mine have caught on the rear brake and shift lever before. Now whenever I wear tennis shoes riding (rarely). I always tuck my shoe laces in if nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• Enjay386
    replied
    When I went down the jeans actually did a really good job of protecting me. I had just a tiny scrape on my knee. However, I should've had better boots on because mine flew off (not tied tightly enough) and I suffered a badly mangled foot that still isn't right! I would say boots are the way to go, I will never do it again without.

Leave a comment:

• woobie
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacobz View Post

Could I wear just the jacket from a two piece suit like this?

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...its&Class3=Two Piece Suits&Class1=STREET PRODUCTS
    I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that's the suit Jim aka sgtjimbo just got a few months back. drop him a pm if he missed you posting the link. I'm sure he could give you a good review of it.

Leave a comment:

• bubba600
    replied
    I don't wear riding pants either, not because i don't like them, but because whenever i get some extra money for gear something usually comes up and i have to spend it elsewhere. As for shoes, I wear wolverine leather work boots, because i have some, and cant afford riding boots. I used to wear tennis shoes while riding, then i came here............and met Arsenic. Just google "Dream Katana" and read his story.

Leave a comment:

• tdrcomm
    replied
    Or spent $150 on a pair of Bohn Underarmor and wear any kind of pants you want.

Leave a comment:

• PilotC150
    replied
    In case you didn't see this thread a couple down:

If your going to ride you need good gear!
    Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.

I just ordered a pair yesterday (or maybe it was friday) so I can't give a personal review, but the other reviews I read make them seem pretty great and comfortable. Can't beat it for $50. Hell, a regular pair of jeans can cost $50.

Leave a comment:

• tdrcomm
    replied
    Also check the closeouts for what are perceived as an off brand here in the U.S.

This is a pretty nice boot from AXO. $99.00 at Motorcycle Closeouts

Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gloves, Motorcycle Boots, Motocross Helmets, MX Jerseys, MX Pants, Motocross Boots

If you check the U.S. AXO website you'll see that they mostly do motocross stuff and show only 2 "street" boots. But check the corporate website and you'll see that they are a pretty big Italian company that has tons of street gear and outfit 6 MotoGP and 4 WSB riders in leathers and boots. It's pretty expensive to crack into the U.S. market so some companies just float a few products to see if they can get a toehold. If they don't, they cut their losses and retailers start to dump them and dirt cheap prices. When Oxtar changed their name to TCX a couple years ago they cutting prices on their boots like crazy. Great stuff, but hard to make a dent over here.

Leave a comment:

• katman05
    replied
    I went for a 20 foot slide years ago, my left ankle was jammed betwen the road and the bike, I got up and rode away with a bit of cosmetic damage to the bike, If I wasn't wearing riding boots I doubt I would have been able to ride anywhere. Did you ever notice at accident scenes there are always a set of running shoes laying in the road? You usually come right out of those suckers, also tumbling down the road your heel is at risk of getting broken along with other things. Your feet and ankles are worth the investment.

Leave a comment:

• tdrcomm
    replied
    Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
    I really want a pair of riding boots but crap they are expensive. Ive been looking at these:

Any thoughts? They are a good price but I dont know how well they would protect you ankles.

Looks like a nice, inexpensive, touring boot. Sure, you're not going to have the comfort or added niceties of a SIDI or AStars or other more expensive brand but they would do for the budget-challenged.

Now is a good time to be looking for closeouts and blowouts of products to be discontinued for next year. Good, good stuff for cheap.

Leave a comment:

• BradsKat
    replied
    Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
    I really want a pair of riding boots but crap they are expensive. Ive been looking at these:

Any thoughts? They are a good price but I dont know how well they would protect you ankles.
    If they have your size I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Beats the hell out of sneakers no matter how you slice it

Leave a comment:

• SKNL2
    replied
    Good gear can mean the difference in a ride in an ambulance or walking (or even riding!) off.

Why not wear it? Things that make sense for $1000, Alex.

Leave a comment:

• HemiKat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SGTJimbo_Kat600
    replied
    I highsided earlier this year avoiding a deer I didn't slide, I bounced and rolled twice then ended up in the grass. I had on a fieldsheer Mach8 mesh jacket and titanium air pants, and Teknic Lightning boots. Scraped the whole side of my helmet, actually broke parts of one of the boots (if I would have had tennis shoes on, I probably wouldn't have been walking for quite a while.) In my opinion, had I not had the other gear on I would have most likely broken my hip/pelvis (indicated by the 14 inch black bruise on my side that I got even with the padding) I bruised both my bruised elbow and scapula. My gloves took the brunt of the impact on my hands. pretty much wore through the carbon fiber, had I not had them it would have been my nuckles.

Occasionally when I am just running up to the store I will ride in jeans, but I always wear my Helmet, jacket, boots and gloves, regardless.

We are adults, we make our choices. I have decided I like my skin and all my parts in one place, so I gear up.

Leave a comment:

• scaryfast777
    replied
    I was in a crash going around a turn at 60 mph and luckily walked away with nothing more than bruised hips and a small raspberry on my knee because I was wearing jeans. My synthetic jacket didn't hold up very well! But did its job. I now wear full leathers this is the only way to properly protect yourself. And I am guilty of wearing sneakers this is something I have to stop doing and wear boots. So if you ride gear up you will have a much better chance of surviving a crash.
    Last edited by scaryfast777; 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BradsKat
    replied
    I went into a turn too hot, was dragging peg when (I think) the rubber toe cap/soul of my boot caught. I high-sided and landed on my head/shoulder. Had I been wearing proper boots then at the very least I suspect I wouldn't have broken anything and possibly it would have slid instead of catching; it's my belief that this is what catapulted me from the bike and hence what sent the bike into a somersault. Having said that, the real cause of the crash was speed - too much of it on unfamiliar roads.

Also, my jacket/pants do *not* match but they do zip together (shorter 8" zipper) and this probably saved me a few feet worth of skin on my side/back. Pants are Ballistic 5.0 and jacket is a Nexo Sport.

Brad

Leave a comment:

Working...
X