Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Riding in tennis shoes and jeans, how dangerous is it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
    I really want a pair of riding boots but crap they are expensive. Ive been looking at these:

Any thoughts? They are a good price but I dont know how well they would protect you ankles.
    If they have your size I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Beats the hell out of sneakers no matter how you slice it

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
      I really want a pair of riding boots but crap they are expensive. Ive been looking at these:

Any thoughts? They are a good price but I dont know how well they would protect you ankles.

Looks like a nice, inexpensive, touring boot. Sure, you're not going to have the comfort or added niceties of a SIDI or AStars or other more expensive brand but they would do for the budget-challenged.

Now is a good time to be looking for closeouts and blowouts of products to be discontinued for next year. Good, good stuff for cheap.
      sigpic

Comment

I went for a 20 foot slide years ago, my left ankle was jammed betwen the road and the bike, I got up and rode away with a bit of cosmetic damage to the bike, If I wasn't wearing riding boots I doubt I would have been able to ride anywhere. Did you ever notice at accident scenes there are always a set of running shoes laying in the road? You usually come right out of those suckers, also tumbling down the road your heel is at risk of getting broken along with other things. Your feet and ankles are worth the investment.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Also check the closeouts for what are perceived as an off brand here in the U.S.

This is a pretty nice boot from AXO. $99.00 at Motorcycle Closeouts

Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gloves, Motorcycle Boots, Motocross Helmets, MX Jerseys, MX Pants, Motocross Boots

If you check the U.S. AXO website you'll see that they mostly do motocross stuff and show only 2 "street" boots. But check the corporate website and you'll see that they are a pretty big Italian company that has tons of street gear and outfit 6 MotoGP and 4 WSB riders in leathers and boots. It's pretty expensive to crack into the U.S. market so some companies just float a few products to see if they can get a toehold. If they don't, they cut their losses and retailers start to dump them and dirt cheap prices. When Oxtar changed their name to TCX a couple years ago they cutting prices on their boots like crazy. Great stuff, but hard to make a dent over here.
          sigpic

Comment

In case you didn't see this thread a couple down:

If your going to ride you need good gear!
            Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.

I just ordered a pair yesterday (or maybe it was friday) so I can't give a personal review, but the other reviews I read make them seem pretty great and comfortable. Can't beat it for $50. Hell, a regular pair of jeans can cost $50.

Comment

Or spent $150 on a pair of Bohn Underarmor and wear any kind of pants you want.
              sigpic

Comment

I don't wear riding pants either, not because i don't like them, but because whenever i get some extra money for gear something usually comes up and i have to spend it elsewhere. As for shoes, I wear wolverine leather work boots, because i have some, and cant afford riding boots. I used to wear tennis shoes while riding, then i came here............and met Arsenic. Just google "Dream Katana" and read his story.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobz View Post

Could I wear just the jacket from a two piece suit like this?

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...its&Class3=Two Piece Suits&Class1=STREET PRODUCTS
                  I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that's the suit Jim aka sgtjimbo just got a few months back. drop him a pm if he missed you posting the link. I'm sure he could give you a good review of it.
                  Kyle

Comment

When I went down the jeans actually did a really good job of protecting me. I had just a tiny scrape on my knee. However, I should've had better boots on because mine flew off (not tied tightly enough) and I suffered a badly mangled foot that still isn't right! I would say boots are the way to go, I will never do it again without.

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                      Tennis shoes?
                      One word - Shoelaces.

They don't mix well with motorcycle chains.
                      Very True. Mine have caught on the rear brake and shift lever before. Now whenever I wear tennis shoes riding (rarely). I always tuck my shoe laces in if nothing else.

Comment

I like those axo boots for that price its a deal .... Would like to try them on first being the fit to be right

Comment

I t-boned a ford turas doing 65 flew over the car and slid down the road. i was in dickie kahki type pants, skate shoes, mesh jacket, helmet and the trusty backpack. and only managed to get a little road rash on my lower nack where the jacket slid up. Guess i'm one of those ones that shouldnt play the lotto or go to vegas anymore eh
                          "I was not gonna ride a fighter at first, but then my testicles, that's what we men have, told me that if I did not, they would leave. I value the relationship I have with my testicles and so proceeded to rock it fighter" - cannonball

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
                            I t-boned a ford turas doing 65 flew over the car and slid down the road. i was in dickie kahki type pants, skate shoes, mesh jacket, helmet and the trusty backpack. and only managed to get a little road rash on my lower nack where the jacket slid up. Guess i'm one of those ones that shouldnt play the lotto or go to vegas anymore eh

Well I think I might still play the lotto. The way I figure it the luck I used not getting seriously injured in either wreck was counter acted by the fact that I had two wrecks in two weeks, that's pretty **** unlucky.

Comment

Good Boots with ankle supports and a well padded jacket with a back pad. Jeans with Kevlar sliders. I work in orthopedics and I can tell you all this will not protect you if you are an idiot but it will do good in a low slide or an off the road trek. The guys I see with big open wound and bones falling out of thier legs are to stupid to protect themselves anyway. By the way I wear this no matter how hot it is. Fun is fun but done is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobz View Post
                                Well I think I might still play the lotto. The way I figure it the luck I used not getting seriously injured in either wreck was counter acted by the fact that I had two wrecks in two weeks, that's pretty **** unlucky.
                                Just don't get upset if you become an amputee, remember, you made the choice.
                                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X