Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Riding in tennis shoes and jeans, how dangerous is it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zuma
    replied
    Scotty's on target with that comment.

When I go back and forth to school, (six blocks, dinky town) I usually go with no helmet. I know, that's not a good idea.

I'm never on the bike without HR boots (heavy engineer boots with strap and ring...sometimes called Dingos). If I'm leaving city limits (literally no traffic here) I always wear a helmet. If I'm going more than 30 miles on the highway, I wear heavy leather chaps about 85% of the time. I wear gloves about 85% of the time also. And if no chaps, at least thick, insulated coveralls, triple seamed, or a pair of 501's.

I bailed off my 06 Kat 750 at 64 mph two years ago on the interstate to avoid collision with a Mazda that for no reason came to a dead stop in front of me. I was wearing boots, chaps, and a helmet...and a long sleeved sweater. The sweater disintegrated, leaving me with mild roadrash on my arms and shoulderblades. The chin of my full-faced helmet made first contact and protected me well. I got blisters on all the fingers of my left hand from grabbing the pipe on exit (should have been wearing gloves), and though my chaps were skinned up, the Levi's I was wearing suffered no damage. My ankles were sprained, but nothing broke.

I tumbled for seven rolls (counted them...was cognizant and making plans to skidaddle out of the path of an oncoming 18-wheeler once the tumbling stopped--it worked) and my ankles caught the main brunt of that tumbling, kerwhack-thump, kerwhack-thump...but with the heavy boots I was wearing, my ankles were sore, but I was back riding within a week and two days. Boots. Boots. Boots.

Leave a comment:

• Mojoe
    replied
    Originally posted by Skilo47 View Post
    i just wear jeans tennis shoes a fulmer afd4 helmet and an old cheap leather jacket.

i look at it this way. if i am going to be riding arrgessivly enough to crash then i am probly going to be traveling in excess of 160 mph so if i fall of at that speed im dead anyway so atleast i will die wearing comfortable clothes.
    yup...gotta agree with scotty on that one. it is a pretty dumb way to look at it. you almost make it sound like it is impossible for YOU to crash under 160.
    Last edited by Mojoe; 01-03-2010, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• overboost07
    replied
    Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
    That's pretty much the dumbest thing I have ever heard...

+11111 agreed scotty

Leave a comment:

• Silence
    replied
    Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
    This

I wear tennis shoes and jeans too.... when im going a km down the street to the bloody tennis courts

Leave a comment:

• scottynoface
    replied
    Originally posted by Skilo47 View Post
    i look at it this way. if i am going to be riding arrgessivly enough to crash then i am probly going to be traveling in excess of 160 mph so if i fall of at that speed im dead anyway so atleast i will die wearing comfortable clothes.

Leave a comment:

• Skilo47
    replied
    i just wear jeans tennis shoes a fulmer afd4 helmet and an old cheap leather jacket.

Leave a comment:

• greeneyedream
    replied
    Newenough is a great site! But the selection for plus sizes 18 & above is limited. If everyone is looking for a business investment try big girl motorcycle gear or plus size MC clothing. There is a great demand but the supply is limited. The selection is slim. I wear jeans, long sleve shirt and my military boots, and helmet( never leave home without it).

As a woman, my first concern is protection & a safe ride then I want to look cute.

Leave a comment:

• thetable
    replied
    Originally posted by greeneyedream View Post
    I would like to wear full leather but it's really hard to found full figure women's motorcycle gear less alone leather. If anyone knows any sites or stores please inform me! Happy New Years

Leave a comment:

• greeneyedream
    replied
    Originally posted by Sky View Post
    Riding in anything is safe .. even a bikini !!! it's the falling part that sucks.

I'm a wuss .. full leather all the time for this lady here
    I would like to wear full leather but it's really hard to found full figure women's motorcycle gear less alone leather. If anyone knows any sites or stores please inform me! Happy New Years

Leave a comment:

• KAT TOY
    replied
    thankfully my only crashes at speed were on the racetrack. both times i had custom leathers. no road rash. the second and last crash i got a burn on my palm where a rivet came off. i slid across the pavement on my back until almost the edge and then cartwheeled. a broken finger and a groin pull was all i got. leathers made the difference. proper gear is the best way.

Leave a comment:

• TheBoss
    replied
    I personally always suit up from head to toe, leathers/textiles (summer/winter) helmet is compulsary here, gloves (summer or winter) and always bike boots. Have seen too many people over here on a hot sunny day riding in shorts/trainers and a t-shirt and acting like prats and wondering why they have come off and have serious road rash, and all to impress the ladies ( not that we have that many hot sunny days in the uk lol).

i would, and do to all the learners i come across ( and i see them on a daily basis, due to the bike school i work for) tell them to always wear the proper protection, i know there are kevlar lined jeans out there if you dont fancy wearing leather or textile. like others have said, you only have 1 life so why tempt fate and risk it.

P.s i bought my last pair of boots off ebay for 15.00 (secondhand of course, but they lasted me 2 yrs)
    Last edited by TheBoss; 12-18-2009, 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• kidblooper
    replied
    ya i would have to agree.. your pushing your luck a bit.. atleast get some decent boots.. i wear tennis shoes , shorts , jeans etc often for a 2 block ride to work.. other than that i gear up.

Leave a comment:

• Staerke
    replied
    Figured I'd add my input. Just went sliding down the road after a wreck. The only things that hurt are my right knee and right foot. Burned right through my jeans and destroyed my tennis shoe.
    Definitely adding riding pants to my "to buy" list, as well as boots. Live and learn!

Leave a comment:

• loudnlow7484
    replied
    Originally posted by Sky View Post
    Riding in anything is safe .. even a bikini !!! it's the falling part that sucks.

I dunno, the windburn really got to me the last time I rode in a bikini....

Leave a comment:

• Sky
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X