X

HJC IS-16 and Cortek Scarab review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HJC IS-16 and Cortek Scarab review

Well my wife just got me the new HJC IS-16 lid and Cortek Scarab gloves for our anniversey...

For the gloves. First and foremost they are gloves so nothing too Earth shattering there. They are my first full size race glove as I normally opt for shorties. I do not think I will do so again.

The gloves are the most comfortable I have worn. Yes it takes an extra second to get them on as I need to adjust a strap on each one and get it over my jacket arms but it is worth it. The leather is smooth and pads the plams well. I find that the gloves do not breath as well as my shorties but then again it might be because I had air hitting my wrists then and they just felt cooler... The workmanship of the gloves seems top notch but only time will tell.

Now onto the best gift I have gotten in a bit. My lid.

First and foremost as with any lids make sure you test fit them if at all possible. What fits me might not fit you.

I went with a large HJC after trying them on at local dealers. The mask is roomier then my medium Scorpion both because of me going up a size AND with the padding layout. I find that it applies pressure in more comfortable areas and not as much onto my cheek and forehead like the scorpion did. I never noticed while wearing the scorpion till I got the HJC though so I am not saying it was bad but it is now noticeable.

I love that there is a bit of material that lays on top of my Chetterbox speakers as this ensures I am not sweating into the speaker AND that it is a bit more padded for my ears thus improving overall comfort. The chin of the helmet also sticks out a bit more then the flatter faced Scorpion again improving my comfort while also adding more space for the boom of my Chatterbox.

Venting: I have to be honest here and say that after wearing this lid I am ashamed at the airflow Scorpion and Icon give with their lids even though they have vents seemingly everywhere. This lid is the first that I have actually felt airflow on the top of my head. All airflow switches are easily worked while wearing gloves and you can instantly feel whether a vent is open or not. The lid also comes stock with a breath deflector and a chin wind guard which are awesome and work quite well except for on instance explained below.

Shields.... Yes plural. This lid is one of the few that has a retractible sun visor built in. This allows you to rock a clear shield for the main visor and use the internal sun visor to keep the glare down. I still have a tinted visor but then run the internal shield for the drive home after work when I am going directly into the setting sun. If I drove more at night I would consider leaving the clear shield on and only using the internal visor.

The internal visor is not issue free though. When they designed it they put it right in front of your eyes. Great idea till you notice that the breath deflector is a bit forward of the visor when it is fully deployed. This almost forces the bottom of the visor to fog as you sit still breathing. It is a VERY minor issue as the fog never gets into your full field of vison but they could have thought it out a bit more.

Overall not only would I recommend the lid to anyone but I think I will be buying a second one to have painted since I like it so much.
    I am a Penn State fanatic.
    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

I agree

I've had this helmet for about 4 months. The internal sun visor feature is super convenient. I don't need to worry about carrying sun glasses. The fit is good, but it is important to get a good snug fit because the wind will hit this helmet as you turn to look over your shoulder. You don't want a lose helmet rocking around in the wind. I got an XL, but as the helmet broke in I think I should've suffered the initial discomfort of the tighter fit.

This helmet is great. In my opinion it is a helmet that is ready for any occasion. My helmet is still working perfectly. The only advantage I've found with some of the other helmets is the weight. There are lighter helmets, but most of them feel the same once on the dome anyways.

I've used a water dampened cloth to clean the inside of the face shield (don't use a cleaner because of the coating inside the face shield) and the Plexus plastic cleaner to wipe the front of the face shield.

Good upgrade and enjoy!
    Car please stop wasting my time and use your blinker!

Comment

Working...
    X