Shark RSi Review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark RSi Review

Hey guys,

Just wanted to chime in after a nice long ride this morning about my new found love of my helmet. I went to Motorcycle Closeouts store in Olathe, KS (they have on in Smithville, MO as well for you north KCers as well as a website) and I was shopping for gear. I ended up settling in on the Shark RSi helmet because the fit and price were right for me and my budget. I wasn't just yet prepared to spend the $250-$600 for a Shoei or Arai considering I had not yet ridden a bike and wasn't sure how much I'd love it.

I took my MSF course last weekend and was sorely disappointed in my helmet choice. Yes, it was very comfortable and amazingly light, but the overall sound level was not what I was expecting and the ventilation was utterly horrid. NOW... that being said, that was entirely related to what and where I was riding and at what speeds. This morning I took my first ride out on my 91 750 and I realized how great this helmet is. Yes, it may be louder than a more expensive helmet, however even at 80 mph the helmet is quiet enough that I decided I won't be buying earplugs unless I start making some very long journeys. The windscreen was very solid and queit and anywhere above 15mph the venting is sufficient on a hot/humid morning to keep my face and head cool.

My only complaint on this helmet is the foam insert in front of my nose was blocking my easy view of my gauges so I removed it. If you are in the market for a helmet I highly suggest you check this one out.... it's definitely worth trying on.

I found this review of it online which states essentially the same things.
    1991 Katana 750 (GSX750F) 23K miles
    -Mystic Color Shifting Paint (Cyan/Magenta)
    -Corbin Seat

Congrats!

Congratulations on the new buy. Enjoy keeping your head safe.
    Car please stop wasting my time and use your blinker!

Comment

Dun nun.... Dun nun.... Dun nun....
      Dun nun, dun nun, dun nun.
      Dunahh!

(Jaws theme? Sharks? Get it?...)
      /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
      The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
      ...and miles to go before I sleep.
      - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

Update today... the Shark gets warm when sitting on a Naked Kat in 15 mph traffic on a sunny 80 degree day with no wind. My suggestion? Get the blue color for a cooler head.
        1991 Katana 750 (GSX750F) 23K miles
        -Mystic Color Shifting Paint (Cyan/Magenta)
        -Corbin Seat

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeRider View Post
          Update today... the Shark gets warm when sitting on a Naked Kat in 15 mph traffic on a sunny 80 degree day with no wind. My suggestion? Get the blue color for a cooler head.

Additionally, you may want to consider an active cooling solution like a Black Ice neck band.
          Tired of the Pain?With regulated 52°F cooling, Black Ice provides effective, drug-free relief from pain and swelling. So, don’t let pain hold you down.
          Last edited by Sounder600; 09-18-2009, 12:46 PM.
          /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
          The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
          ...and miles to go before I sleep.
          - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeRider View Post
            Hey guys,

Just wanted to chime in after a nice long ride this morning about my new found love of my helmet. I went to Motorcycle Closeouts store in Olathe, KS (they have on in Smithville, MO as well for you north KCers as well as a website) and I was shopping for gear. I ended up settling in on the Shark RSi helmet because the fit and price were right for me and my budget. I wasn't just yet prepared to spend the $250-$600 for a Shoei or Arai considering I had not yet ridden a bike and wasn't sure how much I'd love it.

I took my MSF course last weekend and was sorely disappointed in my helmet choice. Yes, it was very comfortable and amazingly light, but the overall sound level was not what I was expecting and the ventilation was utterly horrid. NOW... that being said, that was entirely related to what and where I was riding and at what speeds. This morning I took my first ride out on my 91 750 and I realized how great this helmet is. Yes, it may be louder than a more expensive helmet, however even at 80 mph the helmet is quiet enough that I decided I won't be buying earplugs unless I start making some very long journeys. The windscreen was very solid and queit and anywhere above 15mph the venting is sufficient on a hot/humid morning to keep my face and head cool.

My only complaint on this helmet is the foam insert in front of my nose was blocking my easy view of my gauges so I removed it. If you are in the market for a helmet I highly suggest you check this one out.... it's definitely worth trying on.

I found this review of it online which states essentially the same things.
            http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/shark-rsi/

glad you like you new lid, I love my Shoei. I still wear ear-plugs for any ride over 5 miles. read this article for why: http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_m...clefacts.shtml

This is coming from a former Marine Artilleryman. I know hearing damage, trst me.
            May the road rise up to meet you.
            May the wind always be at your back.
            May the sun shine warm upon your face,
            and rains fall soft upon your fields.
            And until we meet again,
            May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
            RIP Marc

Comment

Spend the $1 and buy the ear plug or use earbuds and listen to music if you dont think it will distract you too much to cause an accident.

It doesnt take very long to cause hearing loss when you're going 50+.

Comment

Working...
              X