X

Chatterbox XBi2 -- first impressions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chatterbox XBi2 -- first impressions

Kristy and I have purchased the Chatterbox XBi2 wireless Bluetooth intercoms. Neat little device. I already owned the FRSx2 intercom and loved it so it didn't seem like taking much of a chance. Yes there are better units out there, but I liked it. I believe I would like the XBi2 a little better if I'd never owned the FRSx2.

First the good:

Tiny -- It's very small and light
    Waterproof -- I am yet to test this but that's the claim

Bluetooth -- You can wirelessly pair up to 2 devices in addition to the additional unit you wish to talk to.

Adequate range -- If you can see your target, you can talk to it.

Now the bad:
    Fidelity -- not real good and not much volume. It's OK with plugs on but the volume sucks.

No VOX feature -- the helmet-to-helmet communication can only be achieved by pressing a button to open the channel. You then have to push a button to close the channel. BOOOO.

Two units required for pilot to pillion com -- With the FRSx2, you only need buy an additional headset to talk to your pillion. With the XBi2, you must have a unit for each helmet. Not real cost effective if you wanna take multiple chix for rides.

That's all I can think of for the moment. I am sure other positives and negatives will present themselves as I use them. I have decided to keep them just for the wireless ease of use. I might try to find a workaround for the lack of volume.

Thanks for the review.. Now I know I prob will not be getting
    sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Any good tiny ones with VOX? It doesnt make sense that you would have to push to talk in this day and age.

Comment

None that I am aware of. But I haven't really researched it deeply.

As I use this one, I am realizing I like the FRSx2 much better even though it's huge by comparison.

I think if I get another set, it will be the GMRS2 with Bluetooth.

Comment

I am amazed that your XBI2 does not have good volume. My XBi could be heard just fine on my SV1000 with dual D&Ds.......

I use my headset more for music now but do make the occasional call. I have to get the wife one here soon so I can talk to her now that she is out riding...
          I am a Penn State fanatic.
          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Working...
          X