Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Which back protector is gonna keep me alive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which back protector is gonna keep me alive?

What's your best tips regarding backprotectors?

Is there any maker that is better than the others?

Is the main thing comfort, so that you always wear it or should it be made in some certain fabric/material?
    Armour up or die! Sweat washes off, roadrash don't!

how safe are you gonna ride?!!?!?!

Comment

I like the Icon under-armor well priced and it looks like it has good protection. Does not have arm protection like some but would be good for wear a tshirt/ armor/ and a leather jacket. From what I have heard from here, there are some problems with Icons quality but owning their Timax pants, jacket, and gloves- I have not had any problems.
      Nik
      88 Katana GSX600F, 19k miles, Total Custom- Soon to be revealed!!!!!!!

Comment

Sure I'll ride safe and I know that the brain is the best protector but I don't want to end up like a vegetable when that drunken driver shares the same lane as I...

Comment

I also own some ICON gear... TiMax Jacket, Anthem Jeans/Pants, etc. I have not had any problems with their quality and I would purchase their gear again.

I'm not sure about the back protectors though. I think my jacket has one built in... though i rarely wear the jacket because it's black and gets hot as h3ll in the sun.

I'd say pick it up from a dealer and then if you don't like it... take it back.
          I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
          http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

The armor offered in our Timax jackets is no where near what is offered in their vest. The jacket is just some extra padding.

Here is a pic:

Nik

Comment

Woa!

That looks like some heavy duty armour! Here in Sweden the most common thing is a spineprotector of some kind (usually Dainese or Alpinestar) to wear under your leather jacket.

What's the price of a baby like that?

Comment

Originally posted by maximus
                Woa!

That looks like some heavy duty armour! Here in Sweden the most common thing is a spineprotector of some kind (usually Dainese or Alpinestar) to wear under your leather jacket.

What's the price of a baby like that?
                100USD from Newenough.com..

Lots of folks make just the back protector..
                I think if you go with a brand you trust in leathers
                you should be good..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                  Lots of folks make just the back protector..
                  I think if you go with a brand you trust in leathers
                  you should be good..
                  I dont know if leathers alone will save your back. Both will be your best bet. When I go out just cruising, I will have a leather jacket with the Icon armor. Otherwise its my Timax jacket (which I know is not enough but I am going to school so I have to worry about a backpack and stuff).

Side note- alpinestars and others sell these things on ebay and such. You can net them from $75 and up.

Nik

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyMedic
                    I dont know if leathers alone will save your back. Both will be your best bet. When I go out just cruising, I will have a leather jacket with the Icon armor. Otherwise its my Timax jacket (which I know is not enough but I am going to school so I have to worry about a backpack and stuff).

Side note- alpinestars and others sell these things on ebay and such. You can net them from $75 and up.

Nik
                    Sorry, what I meant was that most jacket companies make back protectors.. So I think if you trust their jackets you could trust thier back protectors..

Comment

Ahh got ya- I would agree 100% with you on that statement, go with what you trust.

Comment

if you do anything go with the minumum of at least a spine protector but the armor vests are really good as well. my favorite is the joe rocket air vest
                        The lord is the only passenger I ride with

Comment

Absolute best on the market as far as I am concerned

We have a deal in place for the members to get these at $75 delivered for the back protectors. I'll be posting a link for them shortly
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

OK... I have to ask now... how many people wear back protection?

I rarely wear my jacket as it is because it's so freakin hot in the summer. I can't imagine wearing one of these beasts under it.

I need some experienced riders' real-world input.
                            I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
                              OK... I have to ask now... how many people wear back protection?
                              Shockingly few wear back protection other than the foam pad that comes in their jacket. Me personally I took that out and threw it away. Spinal injuries are no game and the back protectors I wear have the added benefit of using large velcro straps similar to lifting supports that really reduce fatigue on long riding days.
                              I rarely wear my jacket as it is because it's so freakin hot in the summer. I can't imagine wearing one of these beasts under it.
                              That is a personal choice that you make, I never leave without mine. I wear perforated leather and there is always textile and mesh which are even cooler. Even in Leather at 90 degrees I only get hot when I'm stopped and then I take it off. Back protector comes off with the pull of one strap, takes 2 seconds.

I need some experienced riders' real-world input.
                              Gear is a personal choice, I believe in good gear and wearing all of it 99% of the time you ride. It all comes down to personal risk and how much you are willing to accept. I want to walk across the room to pick up my grandchildren when the time comes. Spending a couple of extra $$ on gear and wearing it all the time hot or not is not such a bad trade if it helps to insure that happens. That is my choice. I'd rather be a little hot when I get stuck in traffic than to be a pile of dying hamburger. The sweat washes off. Off the box.....

I also find that having full gear, particularly including a quality back protector helps to make you a better rider. Not in a way that you are invincible but it helps to remove a "what if" from your mind. Subconciously you know that you are properly protected and that unless you go big you are probably going to get back up unhurt (still sore). That at least for me helps me to not be afraid to push my limits just a little when I am working on my riding skills (read:cornering)
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                              X