X

Securing Gear...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Gear...

Last weekend I finally got my wife to go on a decent ride with me (~150 miles). I think I will be able to get to go more often if we were to ride to some destination (anything from distant mall to hiking in the mountains), but the problem I see is that we/I don't want to have to carry all of the gear once we get there. Do you guys have any suggestions as to how to better store your gear out on the road? The best I can come up with is to bring a backpack that contains a folded up duffle bag. Once at a destination, expand out the duffle bag, put the gear in it, lock the bag and secure it to the bike with a bicycle chain. Any other thoughts/ideas?
    -2000 "750"

How about a locking cable?..
    Run the cable through the sleeves and helmets, stuff it all in a duffel and lock the cable ends to the bike. I would worry someone would just cut the bag handles..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      How about a locking cable?..
      Run the cable through the sleeves and helmets, stuff it all in a duffel and lock the cable ends to the bike. I would worry someone would just cut the bag handles..

Thats a good idea. I know you can't stop everyone, but I suppose it would be more unlikely for someone to snip the cables with bolt cutters than it would be to cut the bag handles with their pocket knife.
      -2000 "750"

Comment

JHILDE used a long locking cable to go through his jacket and helmet when we were out at Maggie Valley last year.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

WOW, this is a great idea. I really never thought about. I just alwayz throw the gear in the buggy. Which takes up about all the buggy
          sigpic
          Update Jul 11 2014
          Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

I'll have to take a walk through Lowe's this weekend and see what I can make. Thanks for the ideas.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Cable locks are nice . I got this one from Master that cinches to whatever size you need . Like less than $20 . It'll hold about 4 jackets and a helmet or 2 before it starts getting iffy .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

My gear isn't worth stealing...

Comment

Gear, who wears gear, flip flops and a tank top.... Yeah baby!!!!

Comment

Hard luggage works very well also but it is expensive
                    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
                      and ugly...

i use a $5.00 cable on a combination locking caribiner from D1ck's sporting goods. it could easily be cut through but it looks secure. plus if people REALLY want to get it, they're gonna get it.
                      R.I.P. Marc- 09/20/09

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
                        Not necessarily . I spent $60 on my top case . It was the RACK that was the pricey part at about $110 .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X