X

Mesh protective question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh protective question

Hey all, as I posted before Im a little ways away from getting my Kat but I been looking at clothing. To be honest a leather jacket and jeans during the cold weather was the extent of my past riding "gear". Im interested in getting some better stuff and have been looking at the mesh since I seen some mention it on here. To be honest I didnt know they made such a thing till now. I just always figured sport riders were sweating their azzes off under there. Im in Mobile Al and it gets HOT. Summers are typically 95-102 and 100%+ humidity. How well do these things allow air to flow through them? I know it cant be like you are in shorts and a Tshirt, but on a super hot day will you stay reasonably comfy at say 50-55mph plus?

Also any "reasonably" priced brand/types anyone prefer...Im kinda lost on this stuff.
    '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

I own mesh and leather jackets. I feel cooler (temp wise) in my mesh, but I feel safer in my leather. As for airflow, a lot of that will depend on the jacket you get. BTW- don't totally rule out leather for summer riding, a lot of leather jackets have venting that can make leather cooler than you think. They also offer perforated and hybrid (multi fabrics) styles.

I have a mesh Joe rocket UFO, basically a Phoenix with patches, and the airflow is great. Like many others, it comes with a removable liner in case you get a little cool and want to add an extra layer.

As for brands, for me it came down to fit, price, and style. Really, it will be up to you what fits you the best. I tried on several different jackets in the shops around town before I made up my mind on the right fit.

Not sure if any one brand is cheaper than the other. For the most part they all offer basic jackets (lower priced) and more advanced jackets (higher priced). The key is to find a sale and that can be anywhere. I've found deals at the dealership, but then I've found better deals online.

Be sure to note the return policy if you decide to order online, some have no hassle returns, and others have re-stocking fees <--we dont do restocking fees! A few other things to consider is shipping and price matching. Some online places you might want to check are (be sure to visit the close out sections):

www.newenough.com
    www.denniskirk.com
    www.kneedraggers.com
    www.motorcyclesuperstore.com
    www.cyclegear.com
    www.ironpony.com
    Last edited by FASHER; 05-14-2009, 02:35 PM.
    This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
    BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Hubby low sided in his textile .. he was going only about 10-15 mph and after seeing how the textile looks ... not sure I will ever wear anything else then leather ... no matter how hot it gets !!!
      Guylaine
      Try and keep up now

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
        Hubby low sided in his textile .. he was going only about 10-15 mph and after seeing how the textile looks ... not sure I will ever wear anything else then leather ... no matter how hot it gets !!!
        My exact reason for not wearing mesh. I can't afford leather so I'm stuck with textile for now, but I got a raging deal on the textile jacket and its the best I can afford right now. Better than shorts t shirt and flip flops though
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          My exact reason for not wearing mesh. I can't afford leather so I'm stuck with textile for now, but I got a raging deal on the textile jacket and its the best I can afford right now. Better than shorts t shirt and flip flops though
          I agree !!! it is still more resistant then skin !! But at higher speed you can still expect some damage.

But I was lucky enough to get 2 leather jackets .. one for 99$ and the other for 80$
          Guylaine
          Try and keep up now

Comment

Wondering has anyone looked into kangaroo jackets and suits.

I know they're supposed to be stronger and lighter and more water resistant

Comment

i own a mesh and leather jacket. i certainly like my leather jacket 10x better. i just like the way it fits and feels, and i do feel safer in it. but the leather certainly gets very very hot. i live in south florida where it does get rather hot and humid as well. the leather isn't bad when you're moving. i wore it on a few hot days going to class 30 mins away, but it was mostly highway, and as long as i was moving, the perforated leather did it's job and kept me cool. buuuuuut.... once i stopped moving... oh man was it brutal. anytime i was stopped at a red light, i felt like i was baking in an oven. in the mesh, i don't feel as bad when stopped a light. it's airflow is way better while moving, and when stopped because it's not so heavy and thick, it doesnt act like an oven. as i said, the leather does make me feel safer, but i figure i'm gonna buy an icon field armor vest to wear under the mesh jacket for some extra protection.
              2004 Katana
              GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I have two leather jackets and one mesh jacket with armor and a removable inner liner for winter. I live in weather similar to yours temp-wise, but arid. (West Texas desert)

I know that leather is more protective, at least that's what I've heard, but I ride 70 miles one way to gigs 6 times per week in the afternoons and can't really show up wringing wet. I wear the mesh jacket with armor inside. I believe the brand is First Gear. The air shoots right through it when I'm moving and it's almost like having a T-shirt on as opposed to a jacket.

I've never gone over with mesh, so I can't tell you how protective it is. I have gone over with leather chaps and was amazed at the protection offered there.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I have a mesh joe rocket jacket and it breaths really well i live in mississippi and hardly ever get hot just make sure that you take the lining out cause if you dont you will burn up! I has padding in the back, elbows, and sholders as well just in case you need it. Runs for about $250
                  sigpic" MY WAY IS THE HIGHWAY"-------GOD!!!!!

Comment

The mesh jacket I wear for commuting (and all my riding last year) is a Fieldsheer Mach 8. It has leather on the shoulders, down the back and elbows. I highsided with it on earlier this year and it held up remarkably well. But only because the leather is what actually hit the pavement. It is a comfortable jacket with good airflow, comes with a removeable rain liner and you can also purchase a winter liner from fieldsheer. I wear leather when I am tearin up the twisties and the mesh has been relegated to commuter use. Also reasonably cheap.

Last edited by SGTJimbo_Kat600; 05-14-2009, 04:56 PM. Reason: Replaced Mach 7 image with Mach 8....oops
                    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by SGTJimbo_Kat600 View Post
                      The mesh jacket I wear for commuting (and all my riding last year) is a Fieldsheer Mach 8. It has leather on the shoulders, down the back and elbows. I highsided with it on earlier this year and it held up remarkably well. But only because the leather is what actually hit the pavement. It is a comfortable jacket with good airflow, comes with a removeable rain liner and you can also purchase a winter liner from fieldsheer. I wear leather when I am tearin up the twisties and the mesh has been relegated to commuter use. Also reasonably cheap.

that's the exact same jacket i have, only in blue
                      2004 Katana
                      GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I have both Leather and Mesh. I find that it really depends what you have on underneath. I have several of the moisture wicking type shirts and will only wear those under the leather or mesh when it get hot out. You don't have to get the skin tight ones I have some under armour Tech-Tees that work great but I also have some I got from REI that look like a regular tee shirt. Now that I have leather basically the only time I wear the mesh is when I am going to my shop and know my clothes will get dirty and don't want to get the inside of my leathers dirty, or when i know it is going to rain.

JHILDE
                        Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

watch online!!

I hit an online "buy and sell" and got a full leather 2pc suit, boots, gloves and a helmet for like $1000 off of retail and the stuff was virtually new! The guy decided he was going to kill himself if he continued riding and sold his bike and gear. I also recommend the leather, I feel way safer and I found it more comfortable as well, maybe they take the time to design and fit the more expensive suits better, I like my mesh jacket but I reserve it for trips to the store and stuff, not for carving twisties.

Buy good gear and hope you never have to use it! I know it hard when starting out riding, too much to spend, but your life depends on it.

Good luck,

J

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
                            Indeed . I crashed in mesh years back . I was not impressed .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks so much for al the input! Ill keep checking things out!
                              '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

Working...
                              X