X

Modular/Flip-up Helmets......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular/Flip-up Helmets......

Do we trust them yet? even with all of the improvements and advancements?
    This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
    BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

I'd use one...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I think they make people look like dweebs but if you like em go for it

Comment

I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. But that's just me.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Personally I stay away from them
          The supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or, more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself.
          http://myspace.com/solsticio
          www.facebook.com/solsticios

Comment

the question is... why do you want one?

Comment

I'm having a really hard time imagining a survivable impact with any helmet, that would be a point of failure for the flip up helmets.

Any input how it would be any worse? What about compared to an open faced helmet with visor?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                I'm having a really hard time imagining a survivable impact with any helmet, that would be a point of failure for the flip up helmets.

Any input how it would be any worse? What about compared to an open faced helmet with visor?

Krey
                I have no experience with this, so bear with me. I'm speaking purely theoretically and hypothetically.

Let's say you get thrown from the bike, highside at 45mph. The only thing that worries me is the thought of the whole face piece either ripping completely off, or ripping open, and my face bouncing off the pavement. Probably wouldn't happen, but if I ever found myself in that scenario, I would hope that I'm wearing a one piece full face helmet.

Or, imagine that you're at a stoplight. No one's around you, so you flip the face up to get some air. Out of nowhere, a car rear ends you and you get tossed. I see myself hitting the flipped up face mask on a bar or something that isn't gonna get out of the way. So instead of bouncing off it with a full face, if the latch on the modular doesn't fail, I could see me breaking my neck.

Again, 0.000001% chance of these things happening, but I can imagine that if it happened, I would rather be in the full face. Extreme cases I know, but still something I worry about.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I had a modular HJC and currently have a modular Nolan. I absolutely love them and feel completely confident that they would protect me as well as any other helmet if I were to wreck.

Quote [Or, imagine that you're at a stoplight. No one's around you, so you flip the face up to get some air. Out of nowhere, a car rear ends you and you get tossed. I see myself hitting the flipped up face mask on a bar or something that isn't gonna get out of the way. So instead of bouncing off it with a full face, if the latch on the modular doesn't feel, I could see me breaking my neck.]

If I won't some air while at a stop, I lift the shield up, not the entire face.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    I have no experience with this, so bear with me. I'm speaking purely theoretically and hypothetically.

Let's say you get thrown from the bike, highside at 45mph. The only thing that worries me is the thought of the whole face piece either ripping completely off, or ripping open, and my face bouncing off the pavement. Probably wouldn't happen, but if I ever found myself in that scenario, I would hope that I'm wearing a one piece full face helmet.

Or, imagine that you're at a stoplight. No one's around you, so you flip the face up to get some air. Out of nowhere, a car rear ends you and you get tossed. I see myself hitting the flipped up face mask on a bar or something that isn't gonna get out of the way. So instead of bouncing off it with a full face, if the latch on the modular doesn't fail, I could see me breaking my neck.

Again, 0.000001% chance of these things happening, but I can imagine that if it happened, I would rather be in the full face. Extreme cases I know, but still something I worry about.
                    If it's DOT approved, then the closure is going to be rated for survivable impact (not opening) as the rest of the helmet. I guess my outlook at it is... if I impact hard enough to break the helmet properly latched, then It's most likely going to be a situation where a full face would not have helped me either... it's a total failure impact (regardless of helmet).

I understand where your coming from, and it's a comfort thing. I can respect that, and understand somethings people are just not comfortable with.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

I forget the numbers (saw it in MSF) but impact on helmets is like 85% on the chin area. Im not sure if they are or are not safe, but would you risk it?

Regardless of safety I would never buy one simply because I find them unattractive... but like I said before, its what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                        Regardless of safety I would never buy one simply because I find them unattractive... but like I said before, its what you want.
                        I agree with you about them being unattractive, but only when the face is up, when the face is down they look no different than any other helmet. That is why I don't go around with the face up. I like them because I find it easier to put the helmet on and take it off.

Comment

my buddy just bought one
                          Salesman refered to it as a smokers helmet!
                          He has always worn a Pudding cup (beanie)
                          I think his has a button under the chin to release
                          He likes it for cold weather riding this spring
                          Of coarse he commented on how much quieter it is than a beanie
                          He is undecided if he will wear in warm weather
                          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
                            That is why I don't go around with the face up. I like them because I find it easier to put the helmet on and take it off.
                            I find it much easier to talk to other riders as well. I don't have to either talk very loudly or pull the helmet off to talk to my buddies when we stop, and its significantly easier for me to hear the ones who also have them flipped up.

I don't have any concerns about it in a crash, well, at least no more than I would my normal full face helmet. Like Kreylyn said, if I manage to break it, then I was already headed for disaster and I don't think the normal full face would've been any more beneficial.
                            Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

I used a shoei a couple of years back, still have it as a spare. Worked really well as far as I remember
                              Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                              Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                              X