X

Light vs. Dark Vs. Chrome

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light vs. Dark Vs. Chrome

I picked up a Shark RSR2 about a month ago and still only have the clear shield. I need to get a tinted one but need some feedback/input. I currently have a Light Smoke Scorpion 700 shield that I would bear with my prescription sunglasses to get it about the right darkness for my eyes. I work nights and my eyes are light sensitive. I I know some say that sunglasses are dangerous with a helmet but contacts are not an option so I would be wearing glasses anyway unless someone wants to send me the cash for LASIK I don't mind having to change the shield at night but I would like some feedback about how much darker the dark smoke is than the light smoke and how the chrome compares to both. There is not a dealer around that stocks all three for me to compare or I would go look there.

JHILDE
    Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

I'm at a loss... why are sunglasses dangerous with a helmet?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I say get a mirrored shield. That should make daylight bearable. There's no using it at night, though. Cuts visibility by 60% I'd say, with headlights on. I carry a pair of MSA clear safety glasses, to wear at night, with the shield up. Goit 'em at Home Depot for 6 bucks.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

Can you not get the automatic tinting shield for the 700? I have one for my 400, seems to be the right amount of tint. Or upgrade to the 1000 with the flip down tinted visor, I love it. Plus, you feel like a fighter pilot

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Dark smoke is actually lighter than my sunglasses , and light smoke ain't even worth the time . It ain't dark enough in bright light to do much of anything . But I LOVE my dark smoke visor .
          And I did the sunglasses under the helmet thing for YEARS . Even after I got Lasik'd a few years ago . But the dark smoke visor I got last summer is SO cool .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Chrome /mirror

I have always had a dark visor on all my helmets ubtil last year.
            I switched to a mirror visor and love it.
            it very light tinted but deflects a lot of sun and night visability is not ruduced very much maybe 5-10%... unlike my tinted ones that reduce the night visability by 60-75%
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I feel you there...I work nights too (6pm-6am for the past three years) and I am sensitive to light as well. I use my smoked shield and wear sunglasses during the day and just the sheild in the early am. I have found it's not too dark unless its foggy and doesn't limit my vision nearly as much as squinting due to the bright light. I moved closer to work in November (12 mile commute now) and happen to live a block from the K9 handler on my shift who has a take home car so I don't ride in the mornings as much.

Stay safe.
              Last edited by jday240; 04-11-2009, 07:08 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

i've had 2 helmets, and have gotten a mirror shield for both. in the daytime, it works great. the other day i actually forgot i had my shield down for a moment. i've never actually used a light smoked, or dark smoked, so idk how it compares, but it does the job very very well without being too dark. it can be a pain at night, especially on darker stretches of road.
                2004 Katana
                GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I wear my dark gmax all the time not to dark to ride at night. and its cool no one see you looking.
                  When the Job and Wife gives U Hell take the Xtra long way to them

Comment

Light smoke isn't worth it, I use a dark smoke and the only time I find it too dark at night, is on unlit roads. I had a mirrored visor but found that it scratched too easy.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

That's what I've heard about the mirrored ones . That's why I didn't bother looking for one .

Comment

seems like you could pick me out of a crowd,i'm the one with a clear visor and sun glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                          seems like you could pick me out of a crowd,i'm the one with a clear visor and sun glasses.
                          Up until last fall , I did the same .

I was trying to find a replacement clear visor for my helmet , but all dude had was the dark smoke , so I got one . Still need a new clear one ...

Comment

i wore sunglasses with a clear visor for awhile... but i was tired of getting raccoon eyes every time i went out riding, so i got a mirror shield
                            2004 Katana
                            GO OWLS!!!

Comment

darkness of shields vary with manufacturer, for example, a KBC dark smoke visor is tinted to let 30% light through, but a Shoei dark smoke is tinted for 40% light passage....Shark tints their shields on the dark side, its my experience that the mirror shield is usually the best alternative, it is basically the same coating used by all manufacturers and is almost always set to let 38%-40% light through...and if you do much riding with the sun down, and no street lights, that is as dark as you want to go before big problems with visibility
                              you must want to win MORE than you are afraid to lose

Comment

Working...
                              X