X

Mesh vs leather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh vs leather

Im looking for my first jacket, I live in CT. It can get pretty warm I plan on riding my bike on those hot days and at night cruising with some friends. Ive come to a mesh vs leather debate. Will I be to hot in a leater jacket like this one? http://www.bikebandit.com/product/17208 or will the vents provide enough air flow to keep me cool. I was looking at shifts airborne mesh jacket and the joe rocket phoenix 5.0. How is the armor in those...adequate? Will the mesh jackets hold up if i go down and need protection? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
    My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

I got a Dririder mesh for summer and a Teknic leather for winter.

They're both great. Love the mesh for sitting in traffic. It's light and the air just blows through it. It saved my arm and shoulder on a 25mph lowside earlier this year.

The leather is fabulous though. It's perforated so has some airflow but it's not too breezy. It feels tough and strong and fits like a glove.

For what it's worth, I'd rather wear the leather in summer than the mesh in winter.

If I had the choice of 1 only, I'd take the leather every time.

Comment

I dont plan on doing much winter riding and if i would consider another jacket just looking ahead to summer for now though.
      My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

Comment

Yeah, that's right. Summer over there. The jacket looks pretty sweet. If it were me I'd definately get the option of the back protector as well.

Comment

Check Newenough.com in their closeout section you may be able to afford both.
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I have the mesh joe rocket phoenix 5.0. it's a little havy but has good protection and on warm days I just take out the inside cover and the air flows like a charm, I have never own a lather one so this is the only advise I can give you
            The supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or, more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself.
            http://myspace.com/solsticio
            www.facebook.com/solsticios

Comment

Perforated leather. I have a Fieldsheer attack jacket and it works great in the warm weather as well as the cool.
              2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
              2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

i can say that i will never own anything but a joe rocket. and yes it will hold up very nicely. found out the hard way believe me. i broke my ankle, left thumb and fractured my right elbow (radial head). now, you might say that it doestn' sound like it worked but it did. my shoulders, back, and spine are just fine. my elbow was not bad enough to need surgery and i still had some use of it. on the back of my right shoulder is all sorts of grass and rock stains. so, that is my advice!
                R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by wyzat520 View Post
                  Will I be to hot in a leater jacket like this one?
                  ANY jacket will be hot . "too hot" is up to the individual . But if you think it's too hot , I have the right to call you a pansy . I wear all leather gear , and have for the last few years . I've worn it commuting in traffic , and yeah , I sweat my *** off . But my *** is still intact . I crashed in a mesh jacket . Iwas not impressed .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

my normal jacket (but all black) http://www.partsmag.com/0502/ICON-0502/ICON-0502.html

my summer jacket

and i stand by the fact that there IS NO coller name for a jacket than "the stealth hooligan"

Gotta have diversity. if you have just one jacket, there's going to be something you hate about it- unless you find that one that's your soulmate
                    charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

I have one riding jacket . In winter I toss a windbreaker over top of it , though .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I own three Joe Rocket leather jackets and a race suit, I own no mesh jackets. Leather is the way to go. You would be surprised how cool you can actually stay on a hot Summer day with a leather jacket. I love the Joe Rocket leathers because they have several vents to really allow good airflow.

You also want a good helmet that vents well to keep you cool.

Mesh is better than nothing, but It doesn't hold up well on crashes unless the speeds are low.
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

Hot?? In CT?? Really? Try Phoenix, try Texas..

Leather.

Comment

I had hung my mesh on the handle bars of my bike one day, and the heat from the header's alone melted it like you would not believe, in just 10 sec's!! It made me think just how it would do in time of need on asphalt? I would not wear another one no matter how hot it is out, IMO. Leather is the best way to go for protection, and they make a ton of perforated ones for air flow.

Comment

Originally posted by uniquelyme View Post
                              I had hung my mesh on the handle bars of my bike one day, and the heat from the header's alone melted it like you would not believe, in just 10 sec's!! It made me think just how it would do in time of need on asphalt? .
                              Plus, how do they get the mesh out of your wounds?? Dermabrasion..
                              The most painful experience in your life according to burn victims..

Comment

Working...
                              X