No announcement yet.
X

Mesh vs leather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldnt the nylon mesh melt to your skin????

Comment

I love my JR textile jacket, more protection than mesh and well...cheaper than leather

I just can't find $400 to spend on a jacket, freakin Alpinestars, quit making fantastic jackets that cost so much!
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        I love my JR textile jacket, more protection than mesh and well...cheaper than leather

I just can't find $400 to spend on a jacket, freakin Alpinestars, quit making fantastic jackets that cost so much!
        i have a scorpion textile .it has armor (cheap but more than nothing). and lots of vents
        "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tjroux View Post
          Wouldnt the nylon mesh melt to your skin????
          How fast do you think you will be going when you crash, 180??? It wont really melt. Its meant to withstand some speed crashes. Its not meant to withstand very high speed crashes. Thats what leather is for.
          Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
          Current Bikes:
          1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

No , the mesh jacket seems basically designed as a means to hold the pads in place helping to absorb impact . That mesh wears through SUPER quick . Ask me how I know .....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
              No , the mesh jacket seems basically designed as a means to hold the pads in place helping to absorb impact . That mesh wears through SUPER quick . Ask me how I know .....
              Ok, how do you know?
              Semper Fi
              1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Because I crashed a few years ago wearing a Firstgear mesh jacket . It wasn't a high speed crash (like 35mph) , and I didn't slide on the pavement very far , but there was STILL a couple holes in the jacket that weren't there before . I was NOT impressed . I wouldn't trust a mesh jacket . I shelled out for leather gear very shortly after .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                  Because I crashed a few years ago wearing a Firstgear mesh jacket . It wasn't a high speed crash (like 35mph) , and I didn't slide on the pavement very far , but there was STILL a couple holes in the jacket that weren't there before . I was NOT impressed . I wouldn't trust a mesh jacket . I shelled out for leather gear very shortly after .
                  +1
                  My GF (also a rider) went down at under 15 mph in mesh, and the pads ripped right out of their locations on the jacket on initial impact, and the mesh itself didn't stand up very well. The only mesh I *might* trust is some of the newest tight-weave ballistic mesh (looks solid, can't see any light through it)...

Personally, I ride in perforated leather in warm weather (and trust me, Florida summer is a whole lot warmer & more humid than CT)... and obviously, I'm staking my life on it

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I picked up this leather jacket from Shift - http://app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/.../img-2/img.jpg (called their "Octane" model).

Was a few hundred $$, but worth every penny for how solid it feels. Also stays surprisingly cool even in the direct sunlight, and has a zip-out lining too. A few friends of mine have advised against some of the mesh jackets as they just won't hold up as good as leather (typically).
                    Mike - Reno, NV
                    2005 GSX 600F (Blue/White)

Comment

i can tell you have well a zip up hoodie works!

It doesn't! My arm is the proof!

Comment

Working...
                      X