Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Deciding between Leathers and a 'Stich for touring.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding between Leathers and a 'Stich for touring.

I'm having a hard time deciding between a decent set of leathers and an Aerostich for touring. I can see a number of advantages for both, and also some downsides to each.

Leather has the obvious advantage that it slides better. If I'm feeling particularly froggy, hanging off the seat and dragging a knee is a non issue. I am also considering a few trackdays this year and obviously leather is required. Perfed leather is probably going to be cooler during the summer. Now leather has the obvious disadvantage in weather protection, since I have a couple 3000+ mile trips planned this summer, I can't see that I will make it through all of them without encountering some type of rain. And I am not really the type to stop and pull out a rainsuit before it starts raining. The other distinct disadvantage is that I can't wear street clothes underneath it, so if I want to stop somewhere and not look like a biker, that is just not an option.

The 'Stich option is nice because it is pretty much waterproof so getting stuck in the rain is less of an issue as I should stay fairly dry during the rain, and not have to worry about the suit taking multiple days to dry out. The ventilation on the Roadcrafter is also supposed to do a very nice job. Velcro patches for knee sliders are an option, although I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with putting a knee down in a textile suit. The ability to wear it year round as well as comuting also appeals to me although I do already have that covered with a jacket and overpants, it is just easier to get in and out of a 1 piece. The final benifit of the 'Stich over the leather is that I wouldn't look quite as much like I was breaking the law.

I guess I'm just mulling over ideas and looking for others' insight. I'm sure I will end up with both, but which one to buy first.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

I really like the Aerostich gear, but they're so freakin' snooty it kind of turns me off. They have this inferiority "thing" against leather that grates on you. Whenever the DOT has a conference or seminar on motorcycling safety the "expert" panel participants are always: Harley-Davidson for riders, Honda for technology, & Aerostich for gear. AStars, Dainese, Vanson, Fieldsheer, Arai, Shoei, or Icon are never invited. I think Bell was the last expert helmet representative at one of their symposiums. Very elitist bunch.

Aerostich claims it uses "the world's strongest GoreTex® fabric" and has even gone so far as to conduct abrasion tests against other materials, including leather. Aerostich claims their material came out on top, of course, and says it is 95-percent waterproof as well.
    - Motorcyclist Magazine

Sorry for the hijack/rant. I really like the gear but hate the attitude.

The one thing I would buy (and I do want it, I just don't want to take out a second on the house to buy it) is their TRANSIT jacket and pant combo. This is the best of both worlds.

This is an all-new kind of leather gear. It’s made from GORE-TEX® Pro Shell Leather, a supple, luxuriously tanned, top grain 1.2 mm micro-perforated cowhide, permanently joined to a seam sealed, breathable/waterproof GORE-TEX® inner membrane.
    Freakin' brilliant idea from the snotty upper-crust

I'd buy this suit in a heartbeat... provided I won the lottery.
    sigpic

Comment

For the price of the stich, you could get a decent set of one piece leathers, some nice textile stuff, and a set of frogg toggs.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        For the price of the stich, you could get a decent set of one piece leathers, some nice textile stuff, and a set of frogg toggs.

No joke. But since I like "guerrilla sports touring": small backpack, a couple credit cards and a list of fine hotels 1000 miles down the road, the Transit would be perfect!

Someday... in my dreams... ok, never.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          Unfortunately, I have funny dimensions, and not funny haha. So I need short legs, long torso, and big gut. Found a place that does custom leather for reasonable prices and I can order the RC to fit. I had a Olympia Phantom that fit well enough that I would probably still be riding in it except for the little off I took while wearing it, but it did not fit well enough or vent well enough that I really want to order another at full price. On top of that, their were a few things that bothered me about it, the the RC seems to have pretty well covered. All the other options I have seen for 1 piece seem to come in urban camo colors. The Hi-Vis is non negotiable, it does work, more people notice me. I got tired at first of all the questions and comments on the color, but I got used to it, and it is proof that I am being seen.

The Transit stuff, if I could swallow the price @$1500, I can't deal with the solid black, and part of the big selling point to the other Stich stuff is its point of manufacture. From what I have read, the Transit is made in Vietnam.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The stich will be mighty warm in the summer
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You could try Vanson.
              Another "If I had more money than God" place I'd buy in a heartbeat.
              Vanson leather is awesome!
              sigpic

Comment

Rukka sells the waterproof leather like the Transit jacket.
                http://www.rukka.com/lfashion/rukka/rukkawww.nsf

Check and see if they actually manufacture the jackets in Finland or Gore-Tex is manufacturing the fabric in Vietnam and the final sewing/assembly done in Finland.
                Seems that other manufacturers are offering the Gore-Tex leather now: Dainese, AlpineStars, Rukka, Ku****ani, Hein Gericke, etc.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  Leather has the obvious advantage that it slides better.

I am also considering a few trackdays this year and obviously leather is required.

The 'Stich option is nice because it is pretty much waterproof

perhaps it depends on who you ask... but i've *heard* that ballistic nylon slided better at STREET speeds, tho leather is better at RACING speeds.

also heard that some, if not many tracks allow the stich, or at least the one piece roadcrafter on the track.

and i've also heard a few complaints of wet laps from 'stich wearers riding in the rain.
                  KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

$1500!!!????!?!?!?!

Holy crap! Where do I sign!?
                    I'll need a couple sets of those when I go to buy a few Ducatis and Aprilias (one for each day of the week). NOT.

Vanson is also waaay pricey. The jacket Hugh Laurie wears on House is a Vanson model B, if I remember correctly...and you'd have to be a high-paid doc to afford one.
                    -
                    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

The Stich seems to offer more flexibility in terms that you could wear it over street clothes and take it off when you get to your destination. I know people that commute in a Stich and just wear their work clothes underneath.

What brands of custom leathers have you checked into? Like TRD said Vansons are awesome, but very expensive. Have you checked out Syed (http://www.syedleathers.com/) or Barnicle Bill (http://www.racingleather.com/)? Both have gotten really good reviews. One thing I would avoid are those cheap custom leathers that you find out of Pakistan. I have heard bad things about them such as major seam failures during a crash. Plus I hate sending any money there. Pay a couple extra bucks and buy American when you can.

Comment

Not on topic but I love my Dainese.
                        Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Just to mention, there are non damaging waterproofing sprays that work very well (I've tested) that will work on leather or textile. A 16oz can cost me $7 and treated 2 winter jackets, 1 full set of leathers, 4 sets of boots, 4 sets of gloves, and still has alot left in the can.

Spray it on, let it dry... it's clear, doesn't stain, and only would need to be reapplied if you washed it off generally.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                            ...and says it is 95-percent waterproof as well.
                            The other 5% non-waterproof fabric is located in the crotch.
                            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
                              What brands of custom leathers have you checked into? Like TRD said Vansons are awesome, but very expensive. Have you checked out Syed (http://www.syedleathers.com/) or Barnicle Bill (http://www.racingleather.com/)? Both have gotten really good reviews. One thing I would avoid are those cheap custom leathers that you find out of Pakistan. I have heard bad things about them such as major seam failures during a crash. Plus I hate sending any money there. Pay a couple extra bucks and buy American when you can.
                              One of the brands I was looking at were the cheap import jobs, but the reviews I have seen for them are all excellent, complete with crash testing.

I had looked at the SYED stuff in the past, but for some reason had overlooked them in the latest round.

As for buying US made, I always make an effort to buy US made products, but one of the things to look out for is stuff that is made in US territories, like Saipan, are legally able to carry the "Made in the USA" label, but are not subject to US labor laws.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet

Comment

Working...
                              X