X

One more reason to wear ATGATT.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more reason to wear ATGATT.

This morning on the way to work I going about 55-60 MPH down a rural road, one I take most days. There is an area that is heavily populated with deer. I see a few off in the field to the left so I let off of the throttle a little bit, just as I do a deer runs right in front of me and I see a second one running out just past it, I brake heavily and downshift then cut hard to the left to go behind it. The second deer stops in the road right in my path, I cut hard to the right to avoid it, rolled on the throttle to get around it, to my dismay the cold tires and cold road did not play well together and the rear tire broke loose and came around quickly. At this point I am looking almost eye to eye with the deer, the rear tire catches grip and I high-side sending me flying off just in front of the deer. I landed on my left side hip first, then my elbow, pitched over and my visor hit next, then I kinda rolled to a stop. I got up, ran over picked up the Kat (funny how light the kat is when the adrenaline is going) and moved it to the side of the road to assess the damage.

Broken left foot peg, rashed left fairing which is also broken near the mirror mount, bent left handlebar, rashed bar end and the grab bar is rashed a bit as well.

I was wearing my normal commuting gear:

Fieldsheer Mach 8 Jacket.
    Fieldsheer Titanium Air pants.
    O'neal Street Helmet
    Teknic Lightning boots.
    Fieldsheer Gloves.

I came out of it without a scratch, a nice bruise on my left butt cheek. I know that had I not been wearing it I would be in an ER somewhere getting my road rash scrubbed out, and probably would have had some damage done to my elbow as well. A lot of the people I know think I am a bit odd for wearing all that gear for just commuting to work, well today it paid off. I have thought on many occasions well today I could just ride in without the pants....I bet I don't have that thought again.

If ever in doubt, put it on!
    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

you are very lucky that it wasn't worse than that.

Comment

GDMF DEER!!! : Glad to hear you're ok man. We can always put a Kat back together.
      This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
      BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Sorry to hear about the dmg to the bike.

Very glad to hear your okay and the gear was on for this one. Bikes are easy to fix... us, no so much.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

so sorry about the bike but the important thing is that you are still in 1 piece. You can always fix her or hell buy a new baby !!!

P.S. you wantme to kiss your booboo ?????
          Guylaine
          Try and keep up now

Comment

Sorry about your misfortune with the deer Jim, but glad you are okay and came away with only some minor "war wounds". Hope you heal quick.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Glad your ok dude. How long is the bike gonna be down?
              Godspeed
              CSBA #1167
              Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Glad to hear your ok. Deer scare the **** out of me.

Comment

sorry to hear about your bike but at least ure ok!

Comment

Originally posted by 600Kat4EB View Post
                    Glad your ok dude. How long is the bike gonna be down?
                    Not sure, I was able to ride it home (interesting ride with no left foot peg), so most of the damage is pretty superficial. As long as the forks aren't bent I am good to go. And I am on vacation next week, so I will have lots of time to work on it.
                    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

Comment

Originally posted by FASHER View Post
                      GDMF DEER!!!
                      Word up.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                      -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Could be much worse, glad you're ok, and that the bike doesn't seem to be too bad.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm glad you are okay, good job on the gear man.
                          sigpic

Comment

I will try to take some pics tonight and post them.

Comment

oh dear, a deer!

glad to hear you're safe and sound
                              the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                              # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                              [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Working...
                              X