X

Any one else think its a bad idea...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one else think its a bad idea...

To buy a helmet from walmart? I mean, really. There are some things I don't mind paying the least possible price for... you know, like dish soap and pickles. Would any of you pull a Wally-World Helmet over your heads?

Why not. You get what you pay for

(although, I bet that inner is styrofoam instead of fiberglass)

Comment

save the money dont wear a helmet

Comment

Those helmets carried by wal-mart are made by bell,I thought those were good helmets,Bell has been around for years,Is there something i'm missing?
        97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

Go read this thread (and the related article in Motorcyclist):

The best helmet they tested was a $80 Z1R ZRP-1, and I suspect the cheapo-Bell would be close.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Damn! My Wal_mart doesn't even carry lids! And they cal themselves a super Wal-Mart. W T F??
            KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

Comment

Thats what EveL Kenevil wore, a Bell!
              2000 Kat 600
              "Fast Blue"
              Pic in Profile

Comment

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
                Thats what EveL Kenevil wore, a Bell!
                and he broke every bone in his body and lived.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

its not snell certified. Well at least its DOT, lol
                  Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I've always heard that wal-mart declares prices that its suppliers must meet, which forces thier suppliers to cut costs, quality, etc. And I'm sure Evil Kenivel didn't get a helmet from Wal-Mart. I'm just saying, I dont' have any item from Wal mart that hasn;t broken in 5 weeks. . (oh, and interesting Article, BTW). I just saw the lids on the shelf and thought it was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
                      Actually if you read the article linked to above, they flat out state that the Snell certification is unrealistic and potentially deadly, the 'softer' DOT and ECE helmets did better in their tests

Personally i'd use one any day if i could just make sure it fit properly first (and had adequate chin protection)

Then again my dad owns a MC shop so i get like 40% on new lids hehe
                      -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

The Cheapo helmet reviewed was actually from
                        "Pep Boys"..
                        I have rethought my thinking

on cheap helmets since reading that article..
                        It seems like instead of spending $600
                        on a helmet you can buy a new $90 one every year
                        and your head is better protected...

Comment

They had some nice "cheesy" motorcycle jackets a while back to, great if you love pleather
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
                            They had some nice "cheesy" motorcycle jackets a while back to, great if you love pleather

While PETA might be happy about the plether jackets, the fact remains that they aren't suitable for a motorcycle accident... there still isn't any substitute for real leather that has all the same properties (such as fire retardation, abrasion rates, speed reduction in a slide, etc).

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Lagmo
                              Originally posted by KatanaO215
                              Actually if you read the article linked to above, they flat out state that the Snell certification is unrealistic and potentially deadly, the 'softer' DOT and ECE helmets did better in their tests

Personally i'd use one any day if i could just make sure it fit properly first (and had adequate chin protection)

Then again my dad owns a MC shop so i get like 40% on new lids hehe
                              I have read that article, and I still wont wear a helmet unless its SNELL certified. Ive also seen Snells reaction to that article, both very informative
                              Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Working...
                              X