X

old helmet , new shield dilemma

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old helmet , new shield dilemma

ok i 've looked at all the gear sites ( bike bandit , d, kirk , etc. ) but i can't find a shield for my helmet . it's a nolan avenue and thats all it says on it . on the clear shield itself it says " nolan n80 n90 " . i've looked for this online but can't find it . the helmet's build date is 2000 which is when i bought it . any ideas on where i could get a replacement shield ??

new helmet.

Comment

pretty much, your not gonna find one unless you find a used one online somewhere. your helmet is 9 years old. buy a new one. you should get a new helmet every 3-5 years. I get several helmets every year
      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
      Current Bikes:
      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Helmets have a 6 year lifespan (according to Australian standards anyway).

You should NOT wear a helmet over 6 years old.

It's a pretty cheap investment to get another one.

Comment

Time for a new one!!
          This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
          BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

well the helmet has'nt been damaged in any way . it's just been sitting on a shelf in my garage . don't think that time itself would damage it . i have the clear shield on it and once i cleaned up the helmet it looks like new again . am i missing something ??

Comment

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
              well the helmet has'nt been damaged in any way . it's just been sitting on a shelf in my garage . don't think that time itself would damage it . i have the clear shield on it and once i cleaned up the helmet it looks like new again . am i missing something ??
              Hi Gazoo,

I don't have an article I can give you, but when I was reading about helmets I saw similar information to that already given: before 6 years are up, the stiff foam inner lining of the helmet will have started to break down. It's not obvious from casual examination, but it will no longer deform and compress properly under impact, meaning that it won't protect your brain properly anymore in an accident. It's designed to compress and absorb impact just once (the other reason why you should always replace a helmet after any accident; some even claim just dropping it will undermine the protection.

CP, do you have a citation handy to help out here?

Cheers, Gazoo!
              High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

I agree a new helmet is the way to go
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

yea new helmet bro...i mean you can get a cheap HJC for like a $100

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

well i bought a new one and for the price i am really satisfied . it's a afx helmet model fx-30 . i wish i could post pics but don't know how . i 'm really not computer savvy . i also got the mirrored shield with it . man this thing fits beautifully and the price was under 125.00 with the shield and shipping . the old nolan is going to the dumpster . i bought that helmet 9 years ago !! how time flies . thanks for the help guys !!

Comment

polystyrene foam does not degrade if left alone http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...erived6739.pdf but for $125.00 why worry about it.
                      R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Working...
                      X