X

smelly leathers , how to cope .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smelly leathers , how to cope .

i have a pair of alpine stars leathers and truly enjoy wearing them for the protection they offer , but riding in the heat after a while ( a few months ) and they truly stink of sweat . is there anything i can wear underneath thats cool and absorb the sweat or anything i can spray them with . i had them professionally cleaned last year but it was quite expensive . i'd like to avoid that again . thanks !

You might try Underarmour.
    http://www.underarmour.com/

I know it is supposed to keep you cool and help with the sweat. I haven't tried it myself yet but I know some LEO that wear it under their uniform to help keep them dry. I don't know much about the odor in the leathers tho. Might ask a dry cleaner what to try.
    sigpic

“Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.”

“Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another.”

Immanuel Kant

Comment

I use Underarmour under my leathers, keeps me cooler and lets you slide against the liner of your leathers. I've tried boxers, breifs, bicycle shorts and wearing nothing under the leathers but the Underarmour works best for me. I usually get caught in a few rainstorms through the season, this is my wash for the leathers. I treat them with cleaner and condition them at least once a year and don't have smelly leathers.
      Or if I do nobody has said anything
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

underarmour . thanks guys !

Comment

I like to ride in the rain once in a while to clean mine . Had 'em 3 or .... 4 .... maybe 5 years , and they don't smell . That I KNOW of ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

my leathers smell like leather. Do you let them air our after you ride, or ball them up and throw them in the corner?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Haha hey atleast the more you smell the more of a grundgy hardcore biker you'll look like

Comment

Saddle Soap. Use it, works well.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Saddle Soap. Use it, works well.

Krey
                  Based on my research, saddle soap may contain contents that can dry leather out.

If your going to ride you need good gear!
                  Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    Based on my research, saddle soap may contain contents that can dry leather out.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1117804

My wife has a long history of horseback riding (lots of leather saddles and tack to deal with), and has long been a fan of saddle soap. She has used it on her leather trench coat (14 years now), riding leathers (3 years now) and pretty much any other items made of leather (non suede of course). Her mother (raised and lived on a horse farm) swears by it for anything leather.

My leather riding jacket is used as a work jacket as well. Anytime I need to be doing something that is dirty, greasy, or may otherwise need warm clothes for, I'll wear it. I've also used on my leather dingos, fencing and sword armor, several medieval costume pieces, and just about anything else that is smooth leather.

Saddle soap has cleaned them well, and I've never had an issue with them drying out or cracking. Actually the opposite, as the saddle soap has conditioned them very well. Proper saddle soap is designed to clean and oil the leather keeping it's elasticity and to prevent dirt from breaking down the cells when being used.

I'm not sure in what senario it would dry it out. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I've never had any kind of issue with it. My wife's response when I asked her was "That is what it's designed to prevent... to clean and oil so it makes the leather supple and prevents cracking."

I can only relate this info on what I have experianced with the product. It's worked great for all my leather care needs.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If you like the underarmor idea but want to save a few bucks go to wal mart and buy starter underarmor, it works great and less $$
                      25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Saddle soap is also notoriously alkaline – and alkalinity actually damages leather. Alkalinity can abrade both the hide itself and the stitching which binds it. With all the great leather care products available at market; there is simply no reason to opt for saddle soap.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

ok , under armour and lexol cleaner and conditioner . and yeah i did just toss em in the corner after i rode . i'll let em air out from now on . thanks !!

Comment

Ok , but this all begs the question ..... How exackery you 'posed to get said chemical down in the pants legs . I mean , kinda hard to turn leather pants inside-out & all ..... I'll just keep riding in the rain once in a while .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
                              ok , under armour and lexol cleaner and conditioner . and yeah i did just toss em in the corner after i rode . i'll let em air out from now on . thanks !!
                              let them nasty things air out sheesh

Comment

Working...
                              X