X

Helmet Filler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Filler

I am in the works of creating a 'helmet filler'. The foam on the inside of helmets is not the greatest quality no matter the cost of the lid.

It is put in place to fill out the lid to make it fit and to provide comfort. The foam will naturally suffer 'compression set' during a ride and happens pretty quickly.

I have noticed this with all my helmets, even a brand new lid worn once.

I am making a filler that will nestle into the top of the helmet and fill the tiny void created when the foam compresses. My thoughts are that I will not be discounting the integrity of the helmet but enhancing it as the helmet should fit better.

I can make them for about $6.00 each and can customize the thickness of the foam according to your desires. I will post pics when I am done.
    R.I.P. Marc

Yeah but won't the helmet compress in the place you put the filler? Als will it impede the air circulation? You can buy the XS cheek pads that will help if the helmet is a bit loose.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by JZ67 View Post
      I am in the works of creating a 'helmet filler'. The foam on the inside of helmets is not the greatest quality no matter the cost of the lid.

It is put in place to fill out the lid to make it fit and to provide comfort. The foam will naturally suffer 'compression set' during a ride and happens pretty quickly.

I have noticed this with all my helmets, even a brand new lid worn once.

I am making a filler that will nestle into the top of the helmet and fill the tiny void created when the foam compresses. My thoughts are that I will not be discounting the integrity of the helmet but enhancing it as the helmet should fit better.

I can make them for about $6.00 each and can customize the thickness of the foam according to your desires. I will post pics when I am done.

You may be correct with the fit enhancing safety. Problem lies within filling between the head and the pad. Read the following:

Motorcyclist Online-
      A motorcycle helmet has two major parts: the outer shell and the energy-absorbing inner liner. The inner lining is made of expanded polystyrene or EPS, the same stuff used in beer coolers, foam coffee cups, and packing material. Outer shells come in two basic flavors: a resin/fiber composite, such as fiberglass, carbon fiber and Kevlar, or a molded thermoplastic such as ABS or polycarbonate, the same basic stuff used in face shields and F-16 canopies.

The shell is there for a number of reasons. First, it's supposed to protect against pointy things trying to penetrate the EPS—though that almost never happens in a real accident. Second, the shell protects against abrasion, which is a good thing when you're sliding into the chicane at Daytona. Third, it gives Troy Lee a nice, smooth surface to paint dragons on. Riders—and helmet marketers—pay a lot of attention to the outer shell and its material. But the part of the helmet that absorbs most of the energy in a crash is actually the inner liner.

When the helmet hits the road or a curb, the outer shell stops instantly. Inside, your head keeps going until it collides with the liner. When this happens, the liner's job is to bring the head to a gentle stop—if you want your brain to keep working like it does now, that is.

The great thing about EPS is that as it crushes, it absorbs lots of energy at a predictable rate. It doesn't store energy and rebound like a spring, which would be a bad thing because your head would bounce back up, shaking your brain not just once, but twice. EPS actually absorbs the kinetic energy of your moving head, creating a very small amount of heat as the foam collapses.
      The problem I see is that filling between the EPS Foam and the skull could create a place that would fill the gap, but not absorb impact as well as the EPS liner I would look into before I sold anything like this commercially.
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
      1987 XV700 Bobber
      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
        The problem I see is that filling between the EPS Foam and the skull could create a place that would fill the gap, but not absorb impact as well as the EPS liner I would look into before I sold anything like this commercially.
        What I am making is a polyurethane foam insert which is what is in the helmet that provides the comfort. When in compresses, the comfort and the fit is lost. All I am doing is supplementing the product with a higher quality polyurethane foam that will still suffer from compression set, just not as great as the low end foam presently used in the helmet.

Aside from that, if your helmet is 'sloppy' because the foam has compressed it would put you at greter risk of injury.

Foam is designed to cushion and inherently it will absorb impact. If anything your head will stand a better chance when more foam is added. It will not take anything away from the polystyrene impact foam that is there to protect you.

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
        Yeah but won't the helmet compress in the place you put the filler? Als will it impede the air circulation? You can buy the XS cheek pads that will help if the helmet is a bit loose.
        The quality of the foam I am using will still compress, yes - just not as much as the POS foam the helmet manufacturers us.

Air circulation will definately be a factor at first only because I intend to put the foam in its own liner. Foam on its own will allow air to pass through at a rate of about 4 cubic feet per second so it does not stop air from moving. I will likely put holes in the liner to allow air flow, but that would vary from helmet to helmet - nothing a pair of scissors would not fix.

I find my helmets feel like they loosen up in the area surrounding my head, but the cheekpads stay pretty well in place. The cheekpad does compress a bit, but I have found not as much.
        Last edited by JZ67; 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

I would be very careful if I were you, I can see a lawsuit brewing if a rider were in an accident and had your padding in their helmet. Seriously, dude, I would be very hesitant giving them to other people.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
            I would be very careful if I were you, I can see a lawsuit brewing if a rider were in an accident and had your padding in their helmet. Seriously, dude, I would be very hesitant giving them to other people.
            Duly noted, thanks, but I really don't see it the same way. It would be like suing the manufacturer of the fire retardant liner that racers wear.

Your input is precisely why I shopped this idea here. Thanks for the feedback.
            R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Yes, but the manufacturers of fire retardant suits test them out thoroughly before selling them to customers. Imagine selling a fire suit to someone that really wasn't fire retardant at all. Would they be sued? I hope so. I don't see a difference in selling a product untested, claiming that it enhances safety without extensive testing. At least, that's my two cents, but maybe you are on to something...I would just test it first in a controlled environment.
              sigpic

Comment

I agree with you totally. The FR suit example was not to question the vailidity of the FR abiltity but that it is something that is worn under the helmet which could impact the helmets function.

My point is simple...I have a small void between my head and the helmet when the foam compresses, this cannot be good either. I want to fill that void and do it with something that is already in the helmet, just a bit more of it.
                R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by JZ67 View Post
                  I agree with you totally. The FR suit example was not to question the vailidity of the FR abiltity but that it is something that is worn under the helmet which could impact the helmets function.

My point is simple...I have a small void between my head and the helmet when the foam compresses, this cannot be good either. I want to fill that void and do it with something that is already in the helmet, just a bit more of it.
                  Gotcha, I understand your previous point now on the fire suit and helmet.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X